Thread: Trigger Recommendation?

Default Trigger Recommendation?

I would like to put a "custom" trigger on my Winchester Model 70 (.338 Win) Can anyone recommend a quality trigger system for the mod70?

Thanks!

Timney triggers are good. They come preset and it should be EZ to install.
    I have 2 and they both break like glass and no creep.
    http://www.timneytriggers.com/sunsho...Win-70-16.html
    Steve

Well,I've got a Timney trigger on my S&W that is REALLY nice with no creep,no overtravel,and breaks like glass at 3lbs. I"ve also got a factory trigger on a Mod70 that was tuned by someone who knew what they were doing and it's every bit as good as my Timney. Maybe if you jumped up in price from a Timney or a GOOD trigger job on a Mod70 trigger to a Canjar or Jewel there would be a noticeable difference but I've never used either so can't comment.

til later

James:

I put a Timney on my Ruger and am pleased with it. Good product.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 06-18-2008 at 17:16. Reason: spelling

i had my gunsmith do my model 70,i think he stoned it and polished it up.he did a fantastic job no creep and very smooth and it breaks @ 1.5lbs,what a difference in my groups best part was it only cost me 10 bucks.

With different rifles that I own I've installed a Timney, or I installed custom trigger replacement parts, or I took them to a gunsmith to tune the trigger. The result has been the same...a MUCH improved trigger and all set between 3-3.5 lbs. Choose your option based upon your skills and safety...and wallet.

Default Sharpshooter triggers

I like the gunsmith ideas, I have heard that works great. I have Sharpshooters in two of my rifles and I have shot the Timney and they are exactly the same....I dont know the price diffs tho.

Just another idea.

The Model 70 trigger is one of the best out there compared to other factory triggers. Have a gunsmith work over it a bit.

Thumbs up

Thank you - I appreciate all this advice! I never even thought of having my existing trigger worked by a smith. Iíll try this first!

Regards

Smile Perfect trigger...........

I am a big Mod. 70 fan. I have 6 of them. The main reason is the trigger. It is a simple, easy to clean, easy to adjust, tough and reliable trigger. Have a gun smith hone and adjust it to 3 pounds. Stay away from those triggers that are in enclosed housing and you can't see what is going on inside of them. Those types of triggers might be fine for bench rest and varmit rifles but you have a great "hunting trigger" on your rifle. The Mod. 70 trigger, if it fills up with mud you could pull the bolt and rinse the rifle off in a creek or pond!

Since we're talking triggers here,does anyone know of a Mod70 style trigger(simple,open,easy to clean,etc)that I could use to replace the Jaeger trigger on my Yugoslavian 24b Mod98 Mauser?

til later

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
    I would like to put a "custom" trigger on my Winchester Model 70 (.338 Win) Can anyone recommend a quality trigger system for the mod70?

Thanks!

If you have a year to wait for one, go with the Canjar single set trigger. If not, go with the trigger made by Arnold Jewel.

I have been collecting and shooting pre-64's from before they were pre. The Canjar and the Jewel triggers beat the factory triggers hands down.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 300S&W View Post
    Since we're talking triggers here,does anyone know of a Mod70 style trigger(simple,open,easy to clean,etc)that I could use to replace the Jaeger trigger on my Yugoslavian 24b Mod98 Mauser?

til later
    Just have a modified military (Mauser) trigger modified by a gunsmith that is old enough to remember how we did them in the old days.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Big Al,I'm open to that! Any connections for getting an original trigger? APPRECIATE any info!

til later

I buy model 70's because of the trigger they have!
    Leave it on the the rifle and have a gunsmith work it over. They are super easy to stone and a crisp clean pull in the 2.5 - 3 pound range is very easy to obtain.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by 300S&W View Post
    Big Al,I'm open to that! Any connections for getting an original trigger? APPRECIATE any info!

til later
    All or at least every guy (gun smith) I've ever known has a scrap box of old parts. They have or had no value, most guys can not throw away old parts. Just find the long in the tooth gun cranks and ask. It's so simple to make them into a single stage from a two stage trigger. Where to find?
    Just ask around. Be prepared to see a few ancient cigar boxes.

Big Al,gotcha! I have a close connect with a gunsmith in VA. See what I can come up with. THANK YA.

til later