Thread: Winterrizing your boat

Default Winterrizing your boat

How hard is it to do it? also what all need to be done?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Sta-Bil

It 's easy to do. I have used a product called Sta-Bil in my 4 wheeler & boat eng. 25hp Yamaha. Schucks Auto has it. You can store it with the gas in it.I've never had a problem yet. Dave

Default What kind of Motor??

If it is an inboard, you better drain your heat exchangers, meaning the fresh water side. I drained mine last year, and then moved the boat, and in the spring I had a cracked exchanger which cost over a grand to replace. Fortunately they were still making mine, which is often not the case. The other option is to leave the drains open for the winter. I have a friend who bought a boat when the prevous owner left them open, and he almost sunk his boat on his test drive.

I think this year I will leave the drains open, and put a note on the steering wheel so I don't forget in the spring.

Default Gas tanks

Make sure and leave them full! If they are empty, you will more than likely have a water problem next spring. Condensation in the tanks can add up over a few months. Water in the fuel problems are absolutely no fun when you are 20 miles from the harbor (speaking from experience!). Fuels these days have a really good shelf life, but Sta-bil is a good idea too. If you are running a 2-stroke outboard, I would recommend fogging the engine as well.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have outboadrs
    twin Yamaha 115.
    Do I need to fog the enigines? If so how.
    I will put Sta bil in my tank when I'm done. I heard good things from that.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers
    If it is an inboard, you better drain your heat exchangers, meaning the fresh water side. I drained mine last year, and then moved the boat, and in the spring I had a cracked exchanger which cost over a grand to replace. Fortunately they were still making mine, which is often not the case. The other option is to leave the drains open for the winter. I have a friend who bought a boat when the prevous owner left them open, and he almost sunk his boat on his test drive.

I think this year I will leave the drains open, and put a note on the steering wheel so I don't forget in the spring.
    What drains are you referring to?

I drained my heat exchanger by removing the bolt from the bottom of it and only got a few ounces of water out of it. And since the bolt went in with that feeling I better not tighten it any more I aint gonna take it out again,lol. I did remove the hose from the water pump to help drain the block and also seen only a tiny bit of water come out. I think if you lower your outdrive completly for a few hours it drains the block pretty good. But I will still remove the hoses and drain the mainfolds to make sure.

Default winterizing 4 strokes

Gray-

On my old F100's I would pull the plugs and spray fogging oil into the cylinders and then bump the starter a couple of times to coat the cylinders. I would change both the lower unit lube as well as the oil. I always topped the tank off and added stabil, too. They would fire right up every spring without a hitch. Also, you might add some RV antifreeze to the bilge or just pull the pumps off the botom of the hull.

Pete

Thanks for your help everyone.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK