Thread: halibut in september

Default halibut in september

I am going to be in the Anchorage/Seward/Homr area around Sept. 8th and I wanted to go Halibut fishing. However, I have received conflicting information from two different charter operations. One said save your money most of the big fish have moved out deep in Sept. couple this with the unpredictable weather and you are looking for heartbreak. The second operation says Halibut fishing is great in Sept. and stays steady through the second week of the month. Who do I believe?

Well, weather is certainly a factor come September, but there are still big fish to be had...this link is from one outfit from Sept. 06 (I guess they didn't get any pics posted last year)...

http://www.profish-n-sea.com/scrap_b...ex=0&Year=2006
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Halibut can be had then, but the big halibut will be on the move. More important is the weather. That time of year the weather unpredictable.
    I have gone out as late as mid Sept. It took a while to get limits.. Had to search for them while trying to avoid the dogfish. Most charters will shut down after Labor day.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have gone out of Homer in mid September and done very well.
    No big fish but I landed 6 between 25 and 40 pounds. It is weather dependent though. We went to a hump way south of Homer and started hitting fish within minutes.
    Here's a few shots from that trip.

Nice pics Drifter! Looks like a great trip!

I think late in the year is the best time. We were stopped by the coast guard last year. They told us not many people were out. The other few boats they had come to were only catching dogfish. We always do well. I have been fishing later and later each yaer. I am pretty sure it was the second weekend in October. Ended up bringing in two near 70 lbs and limited out fairly quickly. My dad is the only one that ever catches skates or dogfish so I don't worry about catching them.

Some Of The Best Fish Have Been Caught In Sept..leave A Extra Day For Weather And Good Fishin To You.....:d
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM