Thread: Fish through Canada

Default Fish through Canada

A buddy of mine is coming up to fish this summer and will be driving back through Canada with his catch. Frozen, processed salmon and halibut. Are there any issues with this that we need to be aware of?

None that I know of. I have brought fish into Canada from NY, OH, PA, FL and AK with no problems. I have also brought home fish from the caribean with no issues.

Default Yes, there could be

depends on the border crossing folks. Generally, though, if it is for personal use, it should not be difficult. I work with businesses that ship sport caught fish into Canada, and there are definite areas that can be problems. The most important part though is that it be declared as a personal item. What Canadian customs is concerned about would be bringing the fish in for resale; as it is part of any country's customs folks to protect the local economy.....and bringing fish in for resale could certainly do that.
    There are processors here in southcentral that can ship it back home for him if he is that worried about it. PM me and I can give you a list of companies that will ship it for him....

i recommend your buddy have his fishing license handy at the border. that should be the only paperwork required when he declares the fish.

My wife just drove back to to Michigan with 2 coolers of fish and was given no problems crossing into Canada and then crossing back into the lower 48.

I have done it about 20 times when I used to drive that road to see relatives in the lower 48. They looked in the cooler once and didn't say a word about it. I think they were hoping for cocaine or something way better than stinky halibut.