Thread: Minto Directions as per request

Default Minto Directions as per request

I have received a couple of PMs regarding where I fish in Minto and how I have been treated in the village. So I am posting here my favorite spots. See thread titled Minto Report for what baits I was using if interested. I did not want to Highjack that thread, so here is the new one.

I launch from Minto village and go right to the slough that leads to the Tolovana and Chatinika. At the T (moose camp) I go right into the Chatinika, and then at the Chatinika/Tatalina confluence I go right again. I fish in bays with good weed beds in the lakes leading to the slough, then I fish in the confluences, then weed bays in the Tatalina. I will also fish any slack water with good structure at any time along the route. I will sometime troll the middle water and fish any areas that fish hit. I do not use a trolling motor to work along the shore line. I always anchor and work the area with different baits and retrievals until the right combo works out. I dont think there all many areas that dont have fish, but bays, slack water, and confluences have paid off the best for me. I have traveled as for as 50 river miles along this route and have caught fish throughout. If a spot does not produce, I hit it again at a different time of day.

I have only had one negative encounter at the village in 6-8 trips. It was only verbal. I have never had damage done to my gear, nor seen any vandalism.

If anyone objects to the info I have given out, they are not our personal honey holes. I believe in sharing as much as possible for everyone to get a Fish On! Sticky hooks and tight lines!

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info.
    I've been having good luck in Minto fishing late in the evening. Even better if the sky is overcast. Lower light levels seem to turn them on. I can use brighter colored lures in low light conditions.
    It has been a few years since going in through Minto. Our vehicle was trashed and had to be towed. Sounds like things have improved. Great news. Thank You AKShrop.

Default minto pike

AKSHROP,

We must have seen each other at some point at Minto. It sounds like we've both fished about the same way. My favorite spot was always the confluence of the Chatanika and Tolovona. Timing is everything though. I always preferred Late August halfway through September. The fish seem to be stacked in there at that time of year. I especially enjoyed low and clear water.

Over the years, I probably made at least 40 trips right to the village and never had a single negative incident. However, I was usually by myself and always went out of my way to be as nice as possible to anyone. The good fishing at Minto always outweighed my concern for anything else. I've always been amazed at the bad stories that I've heard. One time, I put my riverboat with go-devil motor in at the Chatanika above Fairbanks and ran the whole length and came out at the village. Best solo trip I've ever done. Fascinating country and a lot of black bears and moose.

I tried to stay away from treble hooks as much as possible. I released most of the fish and wanted to get my lure back in as fast as possible. The biggest Johnson's weedless or Cabelas weedless were my favorite lures. I also had good luck with Crokodiles. Especially solid chrome with one orange stripe down the side. The pike really love that. Chartruse, red/white, yellow w/ 5 diamonds, etc.... I've even done well with pixies. Over the years, I've even caught some decent sheefish out of Minto Flats.

I've moved to Southern SE AK now but I left a piece of my heart at Minto Flats. I just hope that others enjoy as I did.

Default Big Pike

Just upstream from the confluence of Tlovana and Chatanika is a beaver lodge on the left bank. (Lots of pike activity near beaver lodges) We caught and released a 48" pike there last year. Look for beaver slides and beaver lodges and fish late in the evening for best results.
    Thanks for the news about Minto. Believe I'll start launching there again instead of coming down from Murphy Dome.
    Has anyone dropped in at Minto and drifted down the Tolovana fishing along and then power on down to Manley for pickup? That looks like an interesting few day trip camping here and there along the shore. I may have to give it a whirl. Considering gas.... A nice slow drift trip may be an economical yet enjoyable thing.

First of all, thanks for the info! Secondly, I'm new to AK and recently bought a 9' pontoon that I'm looking to get outfitted with trolling motor (power still up in the air). Taking all necessary precautions, is fishing and cruising that area in this setup possible? Or would the trolling motor just not cut it? Not necessarily going 50 miles out, but could I get anywhere (and back) that is fishable for some of them toothy critters?

Finally, anyone have an open spot and want help with gas money for their trip .

Another good hole is the small creek on the north bank about 2 miles downstream of the confluence of the Chatanika and Tolavana. Couple of years ago I caught a huge humpback whitefish there, when we got back to Minto I think the entire village came to see it and everyone said it was the biggest whitefish they had ever seen, it was 32" long and fat as hell.

Smile That is HUGE!

Lastsplash, do you have any pictures of that whitefish you could share? That is HUGE! I have always loved catching those guys and would love to see one even close to that size. Thanks to all for the ideas and advice here.