Thread: Why?

Default Why?

Why doesn't anybody ship ammo to Alaska?
    Thank
    Dono

Most companies only ship UPS, and UPS shipping to Alaska is only via air. With UPS ground shipping, there aren't the same hazmat requirements as shipping ammo through the air.

UPS ground comes via plane...it`s their way of bringing the planes back through with something onboard.

In short, loaded ammo is considered a hazardous material (thank your government). All carriers who will ship hazardous materials have to do so by ground or sea (e.g. USPS parcel post ground service, 6-8 weeks to get to Alaska by ground and barge) and they will charge an additional haz-mat fee in the process. The low end of haz-mat fees is about $35. So take a $20 box of ammo, add $35 haz-mat fee, add another $15 shipping charge, plus the 2 month wait for shipping time. Now, forget the whole idea and go down to the local gun shop and buy it here.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    Why doesn't anybody ship ammo to Alaska?
    Thank
    Dono
    Because your US gobbermint and their toadies have created too many unnecessary and onerous regulations that have made it cost-prohibitive to ship ammo and a lot of other things to normal people.
    Now what ?

CMP will ship ammo to Alaska. I just got some 3006 last week.Check out the web site. www.odcmp.org

I have shipped ammo myself to Alaska from the States. Both LTL truck and FEDEX.

The other way is to contact freight forwarder. Pick your favorite one from the Yellow pages, Have the ammo supplier ship to you via the freight forwarder. Pacific, K&W come to mind. You have to ship quite a bit to break even on the shipping from Seattle. they have minimum charge for up to so many pounds. the commodity for your quote is cartridges, small arms. tell them is is ORM-D under IOTA. I have done this several times as well. Ex addressing for LTL servide I used Pacific FF, 236 Maine St, Kent WA 11111 For: A. B. Jones, 123 5th ave, Someplace, AK 99501

Unless it is stufr I cannot very well locally, I buy locally. I prefer to store the ammo at my local dealer and buy some as I need it. I like supporting Alaska business's. If they were getting rich off of selling ammo, they would live in Hawaii during the winter. They don't.

I shoot a lot too. I also reload.

Doable.

Hope that helps!

ammo is ORM-D and can ship air, up to various weights.

Default It seems strange

that most shipments of ammo to Alaska are considered hazardous, but I can carry 11 pounds of ammo in my checked luggage on a commercial airline flight. Just a thought!!!

Ammo:
    50 lbs on Alaska Airlines is allowed, others carriers vary from none, to 4 and ll lbs. check the various airlines carriage rules on line before showing up at the airport and do not put in plastic zip locks and throw in your suitcase. Several hoops about the packaging is required as well.

30KG is allowed as cargo on passenger aircraft, due to the ORM-D designation