Thread: 7MM Rem Mag

Default 7MM Rem Mag

I was wondering what is thought of the Fail Safe (Winchester) rounds?

thanks

Post Failsafe

BearSlayer,
    I heard that Failsafes were being phased out, I believe for the new bullet (XP3 ?) Winchester has/will introduce. Besides, I've heard of mixed reviews on FS. Some people swear by them while others swear at them.

I've never used them, so I'm only speculating. I personally wouldn't stock up on them, but if you've had good success with a proven load and the opportunity to buy a closeout lot of them came along, then I would.

They seem to penetrate quite well, kind of like X bullets from what I've been led to believe.

Dave

Default Re: Fail-Safe

I am no expert on bullet type etc but I have had great success with the failsafe over the past few years. I am fortunate in that I have a few cases of fail safe in 06 and 280 rem in the closet that will last me a very long time. The new xp3 is a very good bullet as well, a buddy of mine used it recently on a black bear hunt we were on out of Homer and it flattend a blackie out of an 06 with a 180 grain bullet @ 70yds.

Doug

My son uses the Fail Safe in his 7mm mag. Has taken whitetails in the U.P of Michigan and dumped everyone in its tracks. He swears by them.

Default excellent ammo.

I use the Win supreme fail safe in 300 win mag and really like it. They are accurate and deliver the punch. I wont use anything else. If they are phasing them out, I'm gonna go buy up what I can.

Default I'm no expert but.

I shot a moose a few years ago with my 7mm STW at about 80 yards. The moose was quartering towards me when I shot him. I was using 160gr. Bonded Bear Claw bullets. The bullet hit the moose at the base of the neck and travelled down the spine destroying about 18" of back bone. When I was cutting up the moose I found the bullet at the end of the backstrap next to the spine. When I got home I wieghed the bullet and it weighed a little over 137gr. (about 86% wieght retension) That was proof enough for me that I was done shopping for a good bullet for this gun. I would almost have to recommend these bullets to anyone shooting a faster than average caliber such as the 7mm for heavy game. Just my thoughts.