Thread: Tracklog Thread

Default Tracklog Thread

I don't know what goes into it or if we have the capability here but I thought it would be neat if we uploaded Trail tracklogs to the forum. It would be pretty sweet to be able to download track logs for local trails like crows pass etc. If anyone knows of a place that they are already available I would apreciate it!

Default What kind of file?

What kind of file is a track log? (name + file extension) Maybe we can...

David

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I don't know what goes into it or if we have the capability here but I thought it would be neat if we uploaded Trail tracklogs to the forum. It would be pretty sweet to be able to download track logs for local trails like crows pass etc. If anyone knows of a place that they are already available I would appreciate it!

Default They're all different

Many different means of "computerizing" your track logs. Garmin's Mapsource software makes it a very simple thing for those who have it. Files are saved in a proprietary Garmin format and the files can be shared just like any document file. But it could only be shared between owners of the Mapsource program. I stopped using any other manufacturer of GPS years ago, so I have no idea what or if any of the others have programs for this.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thumbs up Found the solution...

So, through another outdoor sport that I've recently taken up called Geocaching, I've stumbled onto the solution to sharing track logs via this forum. There is free software (Windows XP or Vista) called "EasyGPS" that you can download from this website:

http://www.easygps.com/download.asp

I'm running it on my machine and it is a very simple program that allows you to download or upload data to/from your GPS. You just need to be able to connect your GPS to your computer, typically via a serial cable supplied by the GPS manufacturer.

The file format is .gpx which stands for GPS exchange and is actually supported by Garmin's MapSource software as well as others.

One could easily download their tracklog (and waypoints, if desired) with EasyGPS, save them to a *.gpx file and post it on here. The standard method of sharing these files via internet or email is to put them into a zip file first. Since zip files are already supported here, no changes to this site are needed.

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Hey, I was one of the first cachers in Fairbanks. Have fun.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Default Geocaching...

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Hey, I was one of the first cachers in Fairbanks. Have fun.
    It's a blast. Having an actual purpose to go hike all those trails and crash out through the wilderness is great. My only complaint so far is the fact that most of the Kenai Peninsula is National Wildlife Refuge and they have a strict prohibition on geocaching on their (our) lands. A lot of great trails and opportunities missed out there.

But, there are nearly 200 caches on the peninsula right now, so that should keep me busy for a bit. Not to mention all the roadside caches that I can work on during my regular lengthy drives to the Glenn and Richardson highways, another couple hundred caches around Valdez when I'm working down there, and then there are those business trips to Fairbanks, too.

And I've also noticed a lot of caches placed out there in boat-only access locations around CI & PWS, so that might be a whole 'nother venture to take on.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!