Thread: Motor Ok Local Lakes?

Question Motor Ok Local Lakes?

Hello,

Relating to the Fairbanks area:

I have a 9hp motor/jon boat combination. My friend and I were planning on taking his kids out for a little 'boat ride' this evening at Chena Lakes in North Pole... at least until I found out that there was a no motor restriction out there. Not even electric trolling motors! Now I need a new plan, we did not feel comfortable taking the kids out on the river, and were sort of hoping for something that was stocked so the kids could do a little fishing. Our plan also included a shore bbq, and hopefully not feeling like we were in the middle of town. The only options I was informed of when I called the parks info booth were Birch and Harding! Those are both WAY too far out of the way for a quick evening on a work night, plus it would be the kids bedtime by the time we got there. Does anyone have some suggestions for tonight close to Fairbanks?
    Thanks

Why not row? It's amazing how much progress you can make rowing, and the kids will enjoy a nice quiet trip.

Next time we head out on the local lake I'm not even going to bring the kicker. If an 11 y/o can scoot along in less than ideal to row inflatable, no reason an adult can't make progress in short order.

Smile

Paul, I couldn't agree more... I once rowed from the outlet of Paxon to the inlet in a day... something to the effect of 8 miles I would think, fishing along the way of course, never even noticed how "slow" I was probably going. You see, I have absolutely nothing against doing some or even a lot of rowing... I just don't think I could get it to fly with the kids. This is a new to me boat (old one was a little cartopper with oars and electric trolling motor as only propulsion, ) with which we have been out on many "grown ups only" type trips this spring to somewhat challenging places. They have seen us drive off with it, seen pictures of us on it, and have been wanting to go for a ride for a while now. They are also right at that age where going fast is cool. Now, 8 or even 12 mph is not fast to us, but to them I am sure it will seem great. Hence my hunt for a motors-allowed local lake.

Meeting your requirments, hate to say it, but Birch is about the only thing close.