Thread: Attention Cast Bullet Shooters!!!!

Thumbs up Attention Cast Bullet Shooters!!!!

I have to toss out something that I learned recently in the muzzleloading world.

With the high cost of lead these days, it's starting to seem really stupid to launch that valuable metal into a dirt bank and leave it there. The problem is getting it back easily so you can use it again.

The solution is so straight forward and easy to use that it deserves a double head smack. Whack! Whack!

Get yourself one of those square 5-gallon buckets, the kind kitty litter come in, as do pickles and such at restraunts.

Cut a piece of truck innertube big enough to cover one side and put it on the inside of the bucket.

Fill the bucket with sand, or range dirt for that matter, as long as there aren't a bunch of rocks in it.

Tape your target to the front of the bucket and fire away.

The intertube only gets little tiny holes in it and keeps the sand in, even with the 58 caliber ML I was shooting. Bullets don't even go half way through the bucket.

Make yourself up a 1'x1' screen from 1/4" or 1/2" mesh hardware cloth on a 1"x3" frame. I already had one in my gardening supplies.

It takes about two minutes to screen the bucket of dirt and get back about 95% of your lead.

And for you doubters, the loads in the following pics were 58 caliber hunting loads shot at only 35 yards. Didn't even cause any sand to jump out of the bucket. I whacked this setup a couple of times with an 06 and factory 180's just to test it. Same results. So little penetration and commotion that it's kinda discouraging if you think about it too much.

Sound like a lot of trouble? Think of it this way. At current lead prices, the lead I recovered was worth something like ten bucks. Kinda like finding a crisp new $10 bill laying there on the ground.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bucket.jpg   inside.jpg  

Here are couple of more shots to go with the first two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tube.jpg   bullets.jpg  

I agree lead is very expensive to say the least .
    Yep that is a very good way of recovering your lead .
    I have used two 5 gallon buckets filled with sand with tight lids laying end to end and still could not keep my bullets from going all the way through to be lost .
    I ended up putting a 1" thick 4'x4' piece of steel as a back drop and was able to find my bullets plus I had to put a heavy piece of canvas over the steel plate to catch the bullets after they ricochet .
    I am in the process of making another back stop to catch my bullets .
    Here is a couple pictures of some very heavy steel swinging targets that got blasted from my heavy cast bullets .
    The last picture is of a swinger that was blown off with a 975 Grain LFNGC Bullet out of a 50 Alaskan Encore .
    RR

Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I do the majority of my shooting down at Bunny Creek, so lead recovery is not very practical, or even allowed for that matter. And I seriously doubt that they would allow any sort of home grown bullet trap on their range.

That said, it does look like a good idea, and there is no sense in letting that lead go to waist if you can quickly and easily recover it. I have seen other home made bullet traps that were more permanent and made from heavy steel plates set at angles to deflect the bullets into the containment chamber. They looked like a fun welding project.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

this is great! thanks

Using my gravel pit for a back stop, shooting RAGER RICK'S bullets. If I shoot to the south, I find it best to call my friends that live down south in the 48, to take cover first.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Using my gravel pit for a back stop, shooting RAGER RICK'S bullets. If I shoot to the south, I find it best to call my friends that live down south in the 48, to take cover first.

Rick's hard and heavy bullets should come with a coupon for a free days rental of a track hoe for lead recovery!!!!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy, The neat thing about Rick's bullets is that you can test drive his bullets until you find the right bullet for you, without buying a mold that may or may not be right. Or for that gun you just don't use that much, and don't want to lay out a bunch of money to make bullets for.

All of us have that on purpose gun or two. The ones we keep in the barn (so to speak). They are not going to get shot a lot, but they have a notch in our lives. A few hundred bullets will be more than enough for these guns. Rick's bullets fill a gap for a lot of us.

I just love to support any Alaskan that puts out a good product when I can. Rick' bullets are working for me, that's all I ask, the fact he's here in Alaska is just frosting on the cake!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Here are couple of more shots to go with the first two.
    Great idea. I am a computer primitive. How did you get your picture images to come up just by dragging my mouse arrow over the image with no click?

Quote Originally Posted by bearheart View Post
    Great idea. I am a computer primitive. How did you get your picture images to come up just by dragging my mouse arrow over the image with no click?
    Not a clue. I just used the picture posting procedure here on the site, and their machine did all the rest. I used the option to upload directly from my machine rather than first posting to Photo Bucket and providing a link to them. Maybe that's the difference? I just learned how to spell kumpooter recently, so a guess is all I can offer.

Default Bullet Catcher

I read several years ago of a manufacturer of a "snail-type" bullet backstop. I imagine it is pretty expensive, but lasts a long time.

Steel plate bent into a spiral is set such that the bullets hit the opening of the spiral at a very shallow angle. The bullets then expend their energy sliding up into the spiral. The steel's life is extended by the fact that a small pump circulates oil continuously. The oil also prevents the scattering of lead dust.

Another unit I found when I googled the phrase "Spiral Bullet Trap" describes using "A white water lubricant" instead of the oil. The google search yielded a lot of links.

Probably more suitable for indoor use, but I put it out here in hopes it helps.

Lost Sheep.
    Last edited by Lost Sheep; 06-28-2008 at 12:18. Reason: spelling

It's a good thought, and I have used one of those spiral or snail traps for years with a 22. They sure splattered the bullets in spite of the spiral, however. Big enough for larger cals would have to be really heavy and more expensive. A couple of friends have built traps out of steel plate now, and all experienced the splatter problem. The lead fragments that remain are so small that you have a heck of a time sorting them from any kind of granular substrate in the bottom of the trap.

Steel plates heavy enough to deflect bullets are really heavy for lugging to and from the range, so that's another problem. We have lots of sand at the informal range we use, so we only have to lug an empty bucket, a shovel and a small screen. Really handy. Four of us shot yesterday, and we had 4 buckets set up. Kind of interesting to compare results.

I was shooting 58, and one guy was shooting 50. Another guy was shooting 36 cal at pretty high velocity, and my wife was shooting 36 cal at much lower velocity. Everyone oohed and ahed at my recovered 58's and the 50's were eroded away quite a bit but still impressive. My wife recovered mini versions of our big mushrooms, while the guy shooting identical but faster 36 cal got back nothing. His fragments were evidently so small they went right through our 1/4" screen.

I've got about 1200# of lead, 99% of it in wheel weights, saved up... and I'll still try to recover it! I heard from a guy in the 50-caliber forums (Google it ...it'll come up as some kind of Lever Action forums ...but that's the one) that putting sponge rubber in a box recovers lead bullets pretty well too. I believe he's referring to the kind of chewed-up sponge rubber that you'd use to stuff a pillow with. I think I like the sand method better though since it is easier to separate from the lead.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Murphy, The neat thing about Rick's bullets is that you can test drive his bullets until you find the right bullet for you, without buying a mold that may or may not be right. Or for that gun you just don't use that much, and don't want to lay out a bunch of money to make bullets for.

All of us have that on purpose gun or two. The ones we keep in the barn (so to speak). They are not going to get shot a lot, but they have a notch in our lives. A few hundred bullets will be more than enough for these guns. Rick's bullets fill a gap for a lot of us.

I just love to support any Alaskan that puts out a good product when I can. Rick' bullets are working for me, that's all I ask, the fact he's here in Alaska is just frosting on the cake!
    I like Rick's 535gr Keiths and can't see buying a mold for trying to reproduce them. I'm eventually going to cast practice rounds (Lee 440gr WFNGC) if I ever get time to smelt the lead. But for the serious big-boy rounds, I like those 535's ...unless I experiment with the 600 WFNGCs that Rick makes. I think in my 4" barrel, that's as heavy as I can go. BTW, the quality of Rick's boolits is great ...lube, gas checks, defects (or lack thereof) is all perfect. I can happily recommend his products. Now I need to figure out a good way to do penetration tests ...it's tough to collect up hundreds of phone books all at once...

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    I like Rick's 535gr Keiths and can't see buying a mold for trying to reproduce them. I'm eventually going to cast practice rounds (Lee 440gr WFNGC) if I ever get time to smelt the lead. But for the serious big-boy rounds, I like those 535's ...unless I experiment with the 600 WFNGCs that Rick makes. I think in my 4" barrel, that's as heavy as I can go. BTW, the quality of Rick's boolits is great ...lube, gas checks, defects (or lack thereof) is all perfect. I can happily recommend his products. Now I need to figure out a good way to do penetration tests ...it's tough to collect up hundreds of phone books all at once...

Brian
    You only have to find a moose or bear for your test material. It is not hard to find lots of phone books. Call the phone company and ask where is a good place to take your old phone books? Do a little creative dumpster diving.