Thread: anchor system for raft

Default anchor system for raft

What is a good anchor system for round rafts ? I have used the 20# mushroom, danforth type from the powerboat & still never found one I like much.
    Does everyone just use the pyrimid types used on the cats?

Default Heavy!

I like a 30# pyramid for my 13' cat. I like to drop and stick. I've used the mushroom type, but didn't like how much line I had to let out for it to lay down and grab. The pyramid doesn't get caught on stuff like the others either.

Default Anchors on a moving river?

Hello everyone. 1st post here coming from Calgary Alberta. I'm the recent owner of a 2008 Leopard. An incredible boat by the way. I've been lurking here for awhile and have learned alot as their are not many cataraft forums out there.

While on the topic of anchors I'm curious to know what you cataraft river runners use for an anchor system...or if you use one at all. I'm considering a grapnel type hook anchor, probably a 5 pounder. Anyone ever use one in an emergency type situation...would it work? Bad idea maybe? They come in 3.5 lbs but I feel that would be too small. This is all relative I suppose to how fast your water is moving too. I know it would come in handy at the lake when running a motor. Thanks everyone.

Grapnel type.

4 lb Danforth maybe?

Recent pic of my Leopard on the Milk River here in S. Alberta.

I've never used an anchor on any raft, so I'm guessing here. I do know that if the water is swift at all, there will be a lot of pressure on the line, so the anchor better be a good one. But like other types of boating it will likely depend on the river bottom. If the bottom is rocky I would think the Grapnel one would work, but if it is silty, a Danforth might work better. Of the two I would think the Danforth would be better in sand & gravel too.

Default Anchor

Anchoring on any moving water is risky. Seen more Drift boats flipped by anchoring than any obstacles. People standing up then boat suddenly anchor sets, throws to one side
    and a gunnel dips! With that said stay away from grappnel style anchor. The Pyramid seems to work the best and pull easily. Weight around 20# should work well. I built a mold & cast my own.

My buddy uses this exact system with a 30# pyramid on his 14' raft. Works great!

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1236%20R

Thanks for the input everyone. Yes, I can see the risks involved. Good judgment and some common sense will have to prevail. I will probably get a grapnel type anchor and have it handy just in case...some sort of backup.

Default Grapnel vs Pyramid anchor

Quote Originally Posted by gspd750 View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. Yes, I can see the risks involved. Good judgment and some common sense will have to prevail. I will probably get a grapnel type anchor and have it handy just in case...some sort of backup.
    The problem with the grapnel anchors is that they're easily lost if you're in the rocks. Unlike lake or ocean situations, there's no way to change the angle or relax the pressure that's holding the anchor. The same is true of a Danforth. A lead pyramid anchor is a great choice for rivers because it doesn't hang up as easily. With the price of lead these days though, they're getting pretty expensive.

You might try a bag of rocks; there are some bags out there designed for this, usually involving steel cable mesh. Very light weight and they can be filled when you get to the river.

Remember to use enough scope on your line to prevent the boat from fishtailing. Knowing WHEN to anchor is probably as important as knowing which one to use; do it in fast water and you could be in real trouble.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay