Thread: Rods for Kodiak

Default Rods for Kodiak

I'm trying to decide on what rods I should bring with me for my month in Kodiak. I'll be there from July 17-August 16, with most of the fishing time concentrated at the end, but with a little bit of fishing mixed into the first few weeks. All fishing will be road system with a possible ATV excursion or two mixed in (and maybe a day on a charter if I can afford it).

I've got a 7 wt TFO with a Ross CLA 4 that I plan on bringing for sure, but the other rods are up for grabs. I've got a 10 wt, another 7 wt, and a 4 wt (only a six footer) that I could potentially bring, but the more I read the more it looks like 7 wt will be the name of the game for the time I'm there. I guess I could bring both 7 wt setups so I have a backup, but I really don't know if it's worth bringing either of the other rods. What do y'all think?

I also have a 3 piece, 7 foot baitcasting rod that I'm probably going to bring. I know this is the fly fishing board (so maybe baitcasters are heresy here) but should I throw this in the pile as well?

Your ten wt will be a little big for the Kodiak road system.
    The pinks should be running pretty good during your stay and the seven weights will work well. The seven wt will be used again for reds if make an ATV excursion to saltery.
    The four wt will work for dollies that will be in all the rivers. I would prefer something a little longer and heavier but it will work. Just be prepared to hold on tight when you get a 4+ pound dollie.

Thanks for the info, akflyfisher. Out of curiosity, what's your rod of choice for dollies? 5 wt?

I use both a 5 and a 6 wt. You can find some pretty big dollies come mid august and it is nice to have the extra strength.

AKFLYFISHER - I'll be back in Kodiak the middle of this coming August. I found good numbers of Dollys last year in the Buskin. Where else can I find them? What leader, and flys do you suggest.

Thanks

Any river that has water in it will have a good number of Dollies that time of year. Russian Creek, Saloni Creek, American River, Olds River, and of course the Buskin.
    I mostly use beads that time of year but hares ears nymphs, flesh flies, glo bugs, and clousers will work.
    I use a six to eight pound tippet, 7 1/2 to 9 foot long leader.