Thread: Question concerning Model 8 Rem autoloader

Default Question concerning Model 8 Rem autoloader

I have a question concerning the Remington Model 8 autoloader. I read somewhere one time that the Model 8 was being produced by Fabrique Nationale and used in France well prior to its U.S. introduction in 1906-- although it may not have been known there as the "Remington Model 8". I cannot remember the source where I read that. Does anyone have any info. to add?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce1965 View Post
    I have a question concerning the Remington Model 8 autoloader. I read somewhere one time that the Model 8 was being produced by Fabrique Nationale and used in France well prior to its U.S. introduction in 1906-- although it may not have been known there as the "Remington Model 8". I cannot remember the source where I read that. Does anyone have any info. to add?
    I've got a fairly extensive library. Not complete by any means, but lots of volumes. There wasn't anything along those lines in any of my volumes, but then again there never has been much written on the Model 8 either.

I seem to recall a fairly extensive article on the 8 in a Gun Digest back in the 70's or early 80's, but my collection of those is not complete. Another possibility would be older issues of the American Rifleman, back when they did monthly articles on classic models rather than pimping new models. I donated my collection going back to 1967 to the gun club but some genius tossed them, so I can't dig through those. Have you tried a google search for articles on the 8?

The FN model was introduced in 1910, they only produced around 2400 of them and they were all in .35 Remington. Get a copy of John Henwood's book about the Remington Model 8.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply. No,it wasn't an article from the 70s or 80s--it was gun info. on the internet --I believe where parts of a book were being displayed and/or quoted as I recall.. I read it only a few months ago (should have saved it,I know!) The interesting thing about such obscure information is how things can be forgotten over time(in my case,in just a few months--haha!) And another intersting thing-- if it was accuracte info.--probably most books and articles on the Remington Model 8 might miss that info.--as a gun used in France and made by Fabrique Nationale would no doubt have gone by some other name and probably some other model number. But what I read claimed that it was the same gun. Possible,I guess--since Browning's first patent on the rifle was in 1900 and considering his connection with Fabrique Nationale. If I see it again--I will save it! Thank you again for your reply.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EDF View Post
    The FN model was introduced in 1910, they only produced around 2400 of them and they were all in .35 Remington. Get a copy of John Henwood's book about the Remington Model 8.
    Thanks for your reply EDF. I'll have to take a look. The source I had read claimed that they were made before 1906 in Europe--but I'll have to take a look at the Henwood book. It's kind of an interesting side note that some info. I have read claims the 35 Rem was introduced with the Model 8 rifle in 1906....other sources say the 35 Rem came along 2 years later in 1908. Not that any of this matters that much now I guess.I just wish that one of the big gun companies like Browning or Remington still made a good autoloading (or even pump) rifle in 35 Rem,perhaps with a peep or ghost ring style sights. It would make a great woods gun--low recoil,plenty of power....wishful thinking I guess. I got a beautiful woods buck last fall with my ancient Model...I just hope it never wears out.Thanks again for your reply.

The model 8 and the model 11 were both the brain child of JOHN MOSES BROWNING. He became associated with FN over a dispute with WINCHESTER over his auto loader shot gun. What became the model 11 REMINGTON was the gun in question (you may recall the model 11 is the same as the BROWNING AUTO 5). JHON M. had a relationship with FN from a pistol (auto loader) he had manufactured and sold by FN in Europe. BROWNINGS reputation in Belgian was that of a rock star in his day. FN would do anything for the Man. Yes the model 8 was also manufactured by FN.

The model 8 was vary popular among police departments across the country.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I have a Model 8 in .32 Remington. I've only shot it a few times due to the scarcity of ammunition for it. I'm down to a dozen rounds or so. It has a peep sight and supposedly my grandfather had it rebarelled before his death. My grandfather shot truckloads of blacktails with it. He inherited it from his father. One of these days I am going to become the fourth generation to put food on the table with it. It is a handy little rifle if you like to hunt in the timber.

Thanks shedhunter. Thankfully,mine is a 35 Rem--so getting ammo is no problem.I've taken a pile of deer as well as some black bears with it.It's very reliable and has a great trigger. The sights take some time to tune in finely--but once you've got 'em tuned in,they're practically set for life. Even a hard fall on the ice--in which my rifle went flying,did not budge them. Perhaps checking on the internet might solve your ammo problem....you might try Old Western Scrounger.Good luck!