Thread: Chitna dipping by boat?

Default Chitna dipping by boat?

I tried dipping from my boat last year and didn't have much success. Also the canyon isn't exactly a relaxing place to drive your boat around?

Anyone here have experience they would share doing this the right way? Is there some safe holes to dip outside of the canyon? I would like to limit this year -- If I could find the right people to team up with I would drive, bring the boat and pay for gas. Need to find someone that is safety conscious and has more experience on this river than I do.

PM me if your interested.

...hmmm...your truck, your boat, your gas.....uggh, I'm in!...just tell me when.......all you need to do is drive, I'll do all the work and dip both our limits...lol
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Just got back from Chitina

Hey Deak,
    I just got back and had a great trip. There are a couple of things you can do to improve your fishing at Chitina. With a boat, you can get to places with no competition, and to places where it would otherwise be unsafe. Look for the big deep eddies with lots of "boiling action." At the far upstream edge of these eddies is a point where every fish that has been resting in your eddy has to swim past to re-enter the current. Look for entry points that still have some eddy action, so that you don't have to work so hard. Park your boat and tie off so that you can stand comfortably abeam these spots and begin sweeping. Sweeping means operating your net like a canoe paddle, and paddling upstream. This keeps your net bag completely open so that any fish you hit will stand less chance of turning and escaping. After 38 years of fishing Chitina, this has been the most effective way I've found of dipping.
    We fished just a half mile below the bridge, against the sheer rock wall. My fish finder showed fish at 5-6 ft deep, and we got two limits there.

Nice photos. I think I saw that spot on way down to the canyon chartering with Cap't Kim who has you fish out his boat. If that is the spot I noticed then on the down river side of that rock is a spot you can climb down to. Looks like a productive spot.(as I burp up a bit of a pig out on one of the 4 reds I got, man after last summers frozen ones I forget how superb Copper Reds taste fresh, umm ummm good!)
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Default Nice Pictures!

TJM, are you in Anchorage or Fairbanks?

JKTimm, great pictures. I think I saw that spot right before the canyon. It is like a 50 foot back eddy off the rocks. Did you anchor? It looks like you are tied off to a rock. I have tried several anchors in fast moving rivers and still haven't found one I like. Last year in the Talkeetna I broke my anchor chain after several attempts to stay in one spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post
    TJM, are you in Anchorage or Fairbanks?
    I am in Wasilla....I went last weekend and our group only got 13 reds dipping from my boat....we put on the water at 11pm Friday night and fished until almost 7pm Saturday night......we did take a couple hour break at 9am to cook up one of the fish for breakfast.......The guys above the bridge were doing better than us and were definitely burning less fuel...lol....we fished all over the canyon, above it and below, perhaps that was part of our problem, maybe moving around too much?......we definitely learned a lot and I'm sure that given the same numbers of fish I'll be more productive next trip...

...What kind of boat are you running?...

I am going to head back there just as soon as things pick up a bit...I have mis-placed my crystal ball so I don't know when, so if anyone else has any insight as to when I'd love to hear....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Not that far down

Hey Deak,
    I was just 1/2 mile below bridge. Way before canyon. Just where the Copper and Chitina meet. I have had good luck tying off just below the old cable, near the little green gaging station house, too. Way scary place climbing on the shale, but easy from a boat. I tie off to a rock on the shore, I'm afraid to lose an anchor.