Thread: 7.82 Lazzeroni Warbird or 30.378 Weatherby

Default 7.82 Lazzeroni Warbird or 30.378 Weatherby

Not more than 10 minutes ago, my buddy called for advice on a new purchase between the Lazzeroni and the Weatherby. Price is not an option with him as he has already purchased a 4-16X Schmidt & Bender fot the gun. I am not a big fan of overbored magnums and not into long range shooting. I have looked at ballistic for both and it is CRAZY...They both technically carry enough energy to be 1000 yard deer guns....Just not by cup of tea.

However, my friend is a retired 5 year marine scout sniper and is currently on the local swat sniper team so I know he can make long shots....Anyways what do you guys think..What round would you reccomend.

Lazzeroni Warbird- had the opportunity to take a bear with one last year. Incredible ballistics! 680yd shot. Gun had target turret scope with ballistics laminated onto side of stock. Just range target - click scope and shoot. If money wanst an object Lazzeroni is my vote.

Lazzeroni ballistics are calculated at over 3,000 ft above sea level Weatherby's are like everyone else's. Lazzeroni are padded ballistics and the Lazzeroni rifles receivers are not as strong as the Mark V. I still don't see why a Lazzeroni cost so much but as he said price is not a concern. I guess what ever makes him happy ought to be the choice.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

With your friends experience....338 lapua, 338 RUM, 300 RUM. Not sure if he handloads? For sure accuracy I would look towards a non-belted cartride.

The Lazzeroni brass consistence is a problem and with out the lazzeroni trick bullets ( they are under size and the plated to diameter) the cartridge is no better than the 30-378. I would go with the 300 RUM (and did) no belt to fool with and long range accuracy is outstanding.
    I shoot 265 grain ULD rebated boatail Wildcat Bullets with a BC of about .8 at 3000 FPS and the long range performance is outstanding. If you realy want to rock an animal at LOOONG range then I sugest a 338 Lapua or Edge with the 300 SMK and that's as good as it gets.
    No Lazzeroni for me, no sir.

My 338 Lapua built on a M-700 action with a 30" ABS carbon wrapped barrel and a 5.5X22 NXS scope 11.6 pounds all up and it is set up for a COAL of 3.9"

My 300 RUM is set up identical to the Lapua

I am always leary of people that try to artificially augment their ballistics or statistics. I believe that Lazzeroni is doing that. As stated earlier they are shot at 3000' above seas level with proprietary bullets with scopes mounted 2.0" above the line of sight all for the express purpose of skewing stats.

I have also heard of brass inconsistencies with them.

Weatherby has a good name, builds good guns, and the Norma made brass has no such problems.

I would go with the Weatherby, but as someone stated earlier I would probably go with the 338-378 if I were interested in shootin at ultra-long ranges. Just my .02 though.

I love these questions. If it were me, i would opt for the 300RUM shooting 220's. No belt, proven 404 jeffery case and cheaper brass readily available brass. If i was building a accurate long range rifle, it would be built around a Remington M700, not a Wby.

I was sticking to the options listed. If his buddy was a marine sniper i'm sure he is familiar with the M700, it sounds like he was interested in the the top dog velocity, energy chamberings and of those two I would certainly go with the Weatherby.

Thanks for the replies....He and I talked more today and he is now really considering the .338 lapua. He wants to build one on a sako action with at least a 28" barrel.

Is the Lapua pretty much a non-belted 416 rigby necked down?

Also what is the 338 edge?

Sounds like your friend needs to consult Google and a good gunsmith.

Wink Lazzeroni versus "the rest"

Yep, there are folks out there who have great stories with the Big L's, but do you want to have to take out a second mortgage to buy the ammo, even if you could find it, or do you want to be absolutely forced to handload everything? And then find out, as some of my friends did, that as mentioned, their ballistics are highly optimistic? Weatherbys are very reliable, proven and accountable for their ballistic claims. Anyhow, an extra 100 fps when you have a 220 gr hopping along at, say, 3200 or 3350 fps means nothing to that elk or grizz. Hit 'em right, and they'll go down. But also if your ammo is lost en route to the Noatak River, you just might be able to buy 30-378, 375, 378 or 416 Wby ammo in Kotzebue. And any of those will work v well with any northern Alaskan game!

Good hunting, and be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    Thanks for the replies....He and I talked more today and he is now really considering the .338 lapua. He wants to build one on a sako action with at least a 28" barrel.

Is the Lapua pretty much a non-belted 416 rigby necked down?

Also what is the 338 edge?
    .338 edge is a formed 338 RUM or from the .300 RUM brass, formed from fire forming. Better shoulder. Yes indeed it's better than a .338 Lapua. the brass does not cost a buck and a half per. Unless you are among the fortunate few that got a hold of the great Federal brass, you are stuck with Remington crud brass.

The Federal brass was a one time custom run of 1,000,000 rounds, it sold out quickly. I bought two hundred and wish I had bought more. When I spun these cases, it was like spinning Lapua 6 PPC brass.

The .338 Edge has a dedicated following.

Several top smiths do the chambering. It is a favorite among the reach out and touch crowd.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Big Stick

Kimber Montana 7WSM.

Tell him to trip the 4-16x....................