Thread: Homer update

Default Homer update

Just got back last night. This was my last trip to Homer for the season. Yesterday we went out and the water was flat. On the way out we saw tons of fish tailing so we slowed downed and found out they were sharks. This was about 15 miles out. Went to my new spot (Gambler you know where it is) And first fish 50#. And third fish we hooked a 85 pounder. This fish was tough. I harpooned it and it's tailed hit the the release button on my harpoon. Next thing I see is the fish taking off with the bottom part of my harpoon. The harpoon did not go through. Finally managed to shoot,gaff and beat the fish into giving up.
    Hooked 3 more big halibut but could not get them in. No sharks until the afternoon. By noon the wind picked up from the south and the seas were ok to fish but drive that was different. Glad we decided to leave then. We hit mainly 5 feet with wind chop but had 6 footers here and there. Normally it only takes 45 minutes to get back it took 3.5 hours to get back. WE can back with 7 nice halibut. I did not see one silver out there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks for the update. I have a halibut/salmon charter booked for Sept 2 in Homer. Is there a good probability for decent fishing is it likely too late?

Yes. Sept 2 is not late at all. Homer then will be a little bit quiter with most of the tourist gone.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK