Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaver Fever

Default Beaver Fever

I am considering buying one of the new Steripen units for purifying water. Is giardia really a concern in the Wrangells and talkeetna mountains? I have never used the tablets, but they are my second choice based upon being lightweight and very inexpensive. Has anyone had any luck with both.

Personally I have never had Beaver Fever from drinking water, but I'd really like to avoid it ruining my sheep hunt.

Default Been there..

Had it. You will pray to just be dead. I'd say its a threat everywhere but I have friends who drink straight from rivers and even ponds all the time. I carry pills on a sheep hunt. Cheap and don't taste bad enough to buy $120 pen. I carry a water pump when I am not carrying camp around on my back.

Link to other discussion on this forum..

My thought is if you have a lot invested into a trip it is best to be safe. With that said I carry an empty caprisun (juice pouch) .

Cut the top off and you have an instant dipping cup that weighs nothing and fits anywhere :-) No giardia yet but I try to pick the areas I drink from. Like a nice gravel bar. Pretty sure I drank moose piss once. Must have been a cow up stream.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=30315

I've been doing a lot of research at work on Alaska medical stuff, epidemics, viruses, bacterias, etc. There is so much out there you can catch besides beaver fever, use some sort of filtration or purification.

Do something to purify the water. No offense to junkak but dringing from water flowing over a gravel bar thinking its safe is a myth. The only water I drink not purified is straight from an ice melt, other wise it gets treated.

Quote Originally Posted by MBURNS2244 View Post
    I am considering buying one of the new Steripen units for purifying water. Is giardia really a concern in the Wrangells and talkeetna mountains? I have never used the tablets, but they are my second choice based upon being lightweight and very inexpensive. Has anyone had any luck with both.

Personally I have never had Beaver Fever from drinking water, but I'd really like to avoid it ruining my sheep hunt.

Been there.

Done that.

Got the T-shirt.

Wished it had been a diaper instead.

Lots of diapers for that matter.

Treat your water.

Nuff sed.

Default iodine tablets work...

I've used iodine tablets to treat some of the nastiest beaver pond water the Colorado Rockies had to offer. I had to use my teeth to strain the chunks out of the water, but I never caught anything. Just follow the directions and make sure you flush every nook and cranny of the canteen before you drink. Iodine doesn't really taste too bad, either. The beaver pond water on the other hand...

Default Its bad when

If you ever do get it, I promise you will not ever take the chance to do anything to where you have a chance to get it again. I take flagil, (the stuff the docs give you for it) when ever I go out for a few days in the woods. I would purify your water. Also when I got it I was no more than 100 feet from the glacier that was melting. Animals can get to the darndest places and feel the need to relieve themselves especially on glaciers in the middle of hot days to stay cool.

seen alot of caribou scratchin' their rear on a snow patch...
    never treated water myself, never been sick, but i'm not above thinkin' it could happen to me...just hasn't yet...29 years of drinking weird alaskan water and so far so good....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    seen alot of caribou scratchin' their rear on a snow patch...
    never treated water myself, never been sick, but i'm not above thinkin' it could happen to me...just hasn't yet...29 years of drinking weird alaskan water and so far so good....
    Now that could be debatable whether it's affected you or not.

hey now, you saying the water isn't whats weird...?

when you coming up anyway?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

3 days the end of Aug. for a quick trip. We're shooting (with a .416) for the move in about a year. Why? You know someone with a working chainsaw?

Just curious how many of you who state you had Giardia had stool samples checked to prove it was actually Giardia. A recent study showed that many folks who "had Giardia" actually had E. Coli from unclean hands. They had been treated by MD's with Flagyl but when stool samples came back no Giardia.
    Not thta I am saying it is not a risk but just curious as to the real odds.
    Akraven

had it, gave samples (that sure was fun), and it was confirmed, I dont know where I got it, but like some have said, NEVER WANT IT AGAIN and I take all necessary steps to achive that goal.

Default had it

checked. confirmed.
    Let me ask you a question. Do you really know of someone who had it and didn't get checked out? I thought I was gonna die. Then I wished for it. I couldn't imagine not going to the doc for that and I don't like going to the doc.

Unhappy

Wife had it, and just being in the same room with her over the next few days was enough to make me understand that it is not something you want to mess around with. If you get it, you won't be able to focus on anything else for a while.

I can't swear that her p@@p was lab confirmed, but the doctor gave her Flagil and she eventually recovered. The next few days were memorable for both of us!

Famous Last Words: "Nothing Wrong With This Water"

Just one of many such statements.

AK-Hunt
    Didn't mean to offend you. The point wasn't that you didn't go to the doc but rather that the doc just assumed you had it and gave Flagyl without checking to see what it really was. akraven

Default Beaver Fever

Made a 9 day float on the Kisararik River back in the late 80's. All went well. Three days after I got home, I was spincasting for silvers on the Kenai. First I felt tired, then my casting arm got weak. Not feeling well I pulled the boat and headed home. I had to stop twice to upchuck. Got home and the wife says"you don't look good". Finally, I say I'm dying take me to the E.R. On the 1 mile drive to the hospital we stop twice as I roll on the sidewalk writhing in pain.
    The doctor says your pretty sick, mind if I keep you overnight? I say you's better cause I won't make it at home. Long story, tests show I have Beaver Feaver. Start taking FLAGYL spent 5 whole days in the hospital. I won't share all that went on but it was bad.

Default Confirmed!!

Had it...had it confirmed. Nasty stuff!!! Uncontrollable flow out of both ends at random. Sick for weeks/months.... If you've never had it, dont mess around, take my word for it. Or those on here who have had it. It will mess you up for a pretty long time. Funny thing is that my wife and I both got it (and it was MY fault )

She used wormwood and other herbal deworming stuff and I used flagyll. She was better long before I was...coincidence or not????

Our motto used to be "if it's runnin', drink it" Not anymore, I'll filter every drop every time from here on out. That Flagyl stuff is nasty too, its basically a poison that just happens to kill the giardia a little more than it kills you. I'm sure the good bacteria in your guts are decimated by it too.

oh yea, funny thing about giardia is that it can go dormant in a cyst and stay that way until you get stressed out or your immune system is compromised, then it can hatch and come back...nasty!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast