Thread: Whitter Report.

Default Whitter Report.

Went out yesterday. The water was flat with a cloudy overcast. he headed to Knight island. One the way out I thought I spotted a otter. As we got closer we noticed it to be a deer swimming across Culross Pass.

Well after a few pictures we were off. Finally made it to knight. It did not take long before we had a fish on. A nice yellow eye. It To make this short we did not get no halibut but did catch small ling, balck bass, china rock and a greenling. Great day except my pots were taken

Oh yeah props to Wildboar, she caught the biggest Yelloweye... I was out fished by her and here purple squid.

Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I am sorry to hear about you pots being taken. That really stinks. This is the one reason that I don't chase shrimp. I would be so angry that I could be dangerous. So, it's best (in my case) to just buy them at the store.

Default Pots were taken?

Are going ro leave us hanging Tell us more? Details?
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default That Sucks!

Gray, first, awesome pics! What is up with all the thieven that goes on?! It seems like every day someone is posting that their pots were stolen. I'm with T.R., I'm afraid there would be lead involved if it were me. Just can't abide a THIEF!!! There is nothing lower, cept maybe a thief who lies. I guess all you can do is hope their boat sinks with them in it. I don't know if I want Wldboar in my boat after seeing these pics, she obviously knows how to fish. Of course, she would have no problem out fishing the knuckleheads I take out, they're all petty amateurs!! But me on the other hand, bring it on Wldboar. Look forward to fishing with ya. Take care...

SHRIMP POTS
    Lost two pots yesterday... First I thought maybe the current took them. But when I noticed my second buoy was not where should of been I knew something was wrong. When I pulled up my pot I noticed it was clean. No shrimp. This spot has produced tons of shrimp for me. Also the zip tie was cut, which verified that someone missed with the pot... Only one thing I was curious why pull up two lines and keep 2 pots and then pull the second and just take the shrimp and not the pot....

I had 900 feet of rope and the pots that are gone were in 500 feet of water. The two I did recover were in 600 feet with same amount of rope.

FISHING
    We departed Whitter around 8:30. about 10 am we started fishing. It wasn't fast and furious but it was very consistent. We drifted all day. combing an area. Each drift usually resulted in 1-3 fish hook ups. We tried shallow to all the way to 350 feet. Thanks to AKFUN, who gave me some tips, we were able to hook up. The salmon were jumping everywhere. And right behind them where the Dolphin. I don't have a clue if they were chums or reds. I started off hot along with my little man. This continued for a couple of hours until, Wildboar decided to go purple lure on me. When this happened her and her son smoked the whole boat. We tried for halibut at this spot and another one but no halibut where home at the time.
    RAMP
    Not in the best condition, but what they have done is an improvement. I now can launch in negative tides without worrying about the big drop off. They added rocks to the end of the ramp.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    Gray, first, awesome pics! What is up with all the thieven that goes on?! It seems like every day someone is posting that their pots were stolen. I'm with T.R., I'm afraid there would be lead involved if it were me. Just can't abide a THIEF!!! There is nothing lower, cept maybe a thief who lies. I guess all you can do is hope their boat sinks with them in it. I don't know if I want Wldboar in my boat after seeing these pics, she obviously knows how to fish. Of course, she would have no problem out fishing the knuckleheads I take out, they're all petty amateurs!! But me on the other hand, bring it on Wldboar. Look forward to fishing with ya. Take care...
    At first I thought nothing was wrong. I saw my first buoy with no problem. So we started to look for the second one and could not find it. I followed my track plan and still nothing. So we went to get the buoy that we saw.
    I hate going on the limb to say they were stolen, but when I know those to pots could not of floated away. And to reaffirm this was the pot I was able to pull the zip tie was cut along with no shrimp. The @#$!% did even leave me a thank you note or a six pack. This has really left a bad taste in my mouth. Like I said I don't know if I want to continue shrimping if this kind of animal behavior continues out there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Sorry to hear about your pots, that really sucks. Really nice pictures of that deer though and glad you atleast got some fish

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Sorry to hear about your pots, that really sucks. Really nice pictures of that deer though and glad you atleast got some fish
    Yeah they along with the kids catching fish helped heal the wound a little bit.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Hey gray trying going out to the same spot and instead of dropping pots drop cinder blocks tied to the line with a note to them then take off and hide in a cove and sneak up in your dingy with a loaded 12 gauge locked and cocked and wait near by and maybe catch them in the act

Great looking yellow eye! Glad to hear the kids got into some fish. Bummer about your pots Sorry to hear about the taken pots. Karma can be a real mother! I assume you were jigging for the rock fish?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Don't feel bad

I lost all 5 pots on one string last Saturday, with 1000 feet of line and buoy. I just spent about $600 on setting up whole new set of pots and accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I lost all 5 pots on one string last Saturday, with 1000 feet of line and buoy. I just spent about $600 on setting up whole new set of pots and accessories.

That is why I'm thinking of passing on re buying my gear. With that kind of money I can make a trip or two fishing.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

My new pots that I purchased and have decided not to set, sit securely in my back yard now.
    I actually heard the shots when someone shot my bouys on my old ones one day last year. I was too dumb to think that was what was going on, so I didn't pursue and get boat numbers. I even commented to my buddies that they were idiots to be shooting in the area. When I returned 30 minutes later, not only my pots, but all the others in the area were gone. But, all said and done, it was my own fault for not pursuing and getting a boat name and color.
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((
    Rich Adventures
    PWS is my office. Can't get better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin 45 View Post
    My new pots that I purchased and have decided not to set, sit securely in my back yard now.
    I actually heard the shots when someone shot my bouys on my old ones one day last year. I was too dumb to think that was what was going on, so I didn't pursue and get boat numbers. I even commented to my buddies that they were idiots to be shooting in the area. When I returned 30 minutes later, not only my pots, but all the others in the area were gone. But, all said and done, it was my own fault for not pursuing and getting a boat name and color.
    There was a bouy around knight that was flat. Only reason it was still up was a milk jug. Don't know what caused it. I have seen seals play with them before.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by fishin 45 View Post
    SNIP... But, all said and done, it was my own fault for not pursuing and getting a boat name and color.
    I totally disagree!!!.... It's the fault of the guy who shot the bouy's and don't you forget it.