Thread: Sleeping Bag recommendations for less than $150?

Default Sleeping Bag recommendations for less than $150?

Ok, I haven't bought a sleeping bag since 1997 (NorthFace Cats Meow). My son's birthday is coming up and he is in dire need of a good sleeping bag. He's 6'1" and growing like a weed.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a descent sleeping bag for under $150? I'd like to find a bag that comes in "long" size and has around a 20 degree rating. I'd like to find him a Cats Meow (or something comparable) but I don't think they make them anymore.

Tim

I found the cats meow online still. I got a wiggys bag and love it. Spent a wet 2 weeks in PWS and slept nice warm and dry. Even dried my wet clothes overnight.
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...sleeping%20bag
    Steve

Default Sleeping bag

I'm in the same boat as Stid and use a Wiggy's.

Randy

Default try ebay

i bought a northface snow shoe for my alaska hunt and it real warm,i bought this this bag new off of e-bay for $100.00 and it is rated down to 0 degrees,just keep an eye out for them.

Wow. thanks Stid, I thought Northface quit making them. The Cats Meow is a slam dunk at $120, but I'd still be open to other options if anyone has comments about other bags.

Tim

Don't think you can go wrong with a Cat's Meow. One of my son's started sheep hunting on the north side of the Brooks when he was 12 and used TNF Cat's Meow for about the next ten years of hunting - one to two sheep hunts a year and then for other game - no not the same bag!!! It is about the only bag he will use for Aug to Oct Alaskan hunts.

I would just order the Wiggys Ultralight 20* bag. They are on special right now for $160!
    I all ways blow my budget but 10 bucks aint bad and it is IMHO the best you can get!

Default I have quite the experience

with gear. I spent two years with Alaska Mountain Rescue Group (read, top quality and light weight gear), spent many nights out in bivy situations....I have tested gear, and worked at REI selling the gear as well.
    Wiggy's is a great bag, bar none. The material will not pack out as other bags do and lose insulating effect. What was a 0 degree bag 10 years ago is now probably a 30 degree bag; but not with Wiggy's. The Lamolite is touted to be able to hold 5 gallons of water and still insulate. I have 5 sleeping bags; and the Wiggy's is the go to bag when carrying in a backpack is not the main concern. This is the key down side....they don't compact very well, and if you are looking for a backpacking bag then it is not the best choice. They aren't really any heavier than other bags of similar insulating quality, just not as compressible.
    Cats Meow is a good bag. Wiggy's is better. Just depends on what you are willing to trade off. There is a Wiggy's store in Anchorage, down off of Old Seward, just north of Dimond Blvd.
    I have sleeping bags by Sierra Designs, REI, TNF and Feathered Friends. Wiggy's is less expensice than SD, most TNF and definitely FF bags, and out performs them all. You sacrifice packability.
    Let me know if you want other recommendations....

Good deals to be had here:

http://www.rei.com/outlet/search?cat...F+to+%2B32F%29

Unbeatable return policy too.

Cabela's still sells the Cat's Meow, so it must still be made. Have heard great things about them and will probably be purchasing one for myself.

You can go pick up a Cat's Meow bag at REI in Anchorage if you are so inclined. They sell them with a storage bag now that does not compress it as well as the standard compression sack. I was going to get one for the wife but I am a little leary of the "made in China" logo. With so many great US companies it is hard to send more $$ to Asia.

The Wiggys USA factory

Tim, spend the extra money and get him a Wiggy's bag, either the Ultralight (20 degree) or the Superlight (0 degree) bag. You will not get cold in a Wiggy's bag, even if it's wet.

Got to agree on the wiggies bag. Mine is 20 years old and the insulation is still in great shape.

Wiggy's is having a sale through July 31, 2008. 20% off sleeping bags. Think I'll get the Ultralite for a mere 175.00 versus 218.00.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Another option is to watch SteepandCheap.com they run sleeping bags every now and then from all major manufacturers.

jason

I've been doing that for almost a year now and have gotten some very, very good deals from that site. One thing to keep in mind is that you have to keep watching it and buy when the opportunity presents itself, otherwise you could lose out........don't ask me how I know.