Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UHMW on a Wooly AK

Default UHMW on a Wooly AK

Just curious if anyone has had UHMW put on their Wooldridge Alaskan

I have not found a reason to. Reason NOT to is weight. I have found that my boat is very sensitive. Just a hundred pounds can affect performance. Adding a person or 2 can really slow her down. Too much and fuel consumption and speed really drops.

BTW - Towing a freight boat with 1000 pounds really slows her down.

I think I would try slip plate first. EZ on, light weight, and hear it is real slick. Has anyone tested it over the rocks?

Default Uhmw

I have read that it has to be put on good and tight, if not could be a big hassel.There is a few ways to do this.One, drill and tap through the hull for screws and lock nuts. Two, glue it and three plug weld
    I think the AK bottom would be too thin to tap threads.
    I have heard that gluing doesn't work very good,(read this on old thread).
    As far as plug welding I read that it holds up if done properly, a company in BC does it well.
    I think there is a thread on this site, where a guy was putting some on a sportjon using large bevel washers, not sure how it turned out.

Its always interesting to explore these ideas, a guy starts w/ a 2WD pick up truck, then its a set of chains, next a locking rear end, hey, then we get 4WD, chains, lockers, winches, and what do we do? just get stuck farther back in the toolies than anyone has ever been before.
    Boats, kinda simlar, watch these videos w/ people going up over and thru all-kinds crap w/ their boats, never had a boat w/ the slick-um on the bottom, I am sure its cool and would be great fun, funny thing about them vids, either the guys got lotsa $, own the boat store or actually build the boats.
    I cant imagine putting stuff I have paid for thru that kinda abuse.
    I have to agree w/ dirtofak? leave the Wooly alone, if you wanna slide across gravel bars, buy a tobogan, ATV, pair hiking boots.............

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I have to agree w/ dirtofak? leave the Wooly alone, if you wanna slide across gravel bars, buy a tobogan, ATV, pair hiking boots.............
    It's not that I "want" to slide accross gravel bars its more that I am not that good of boat driver yet and some times they kind of sneak up on me

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    It's not that I "want" to slide accross gravel bars its more that I am not that good of boat driver yet and some times they kind of sneak up on me
    Boy, Do I know that ! I got stuck twice on the Tanana late last fall and spent a day getting it unstuck! Problem w/ the Tanana is its not gravely, so in that case I dont know how much the UMHW would hve helped other than too make more weight to drag off the sand bar. I am still learning as well and promised my hunting partner I would work on becoming a better boat driver. You might find this link Interesting.
    http://www.rockproofboats.com/home.html

when you look at the photos, I am sure you will think, what in the he!! are you doing in there with a boat! Thats the part about becoming a better boat driver, Real life is interesting that way, unlike when I was in school, first you get the test and then the lesson.....!
    Last edited by Akgramps; 03-21-2010 at 22:56.

Oh man, that big 4 stroke looks hea-vy!

Yep, 16oz to the pound & at least 420 of them.....
    Not something two people can pick up and drag around, what does your 03 Evinrude weigh in at?

Default Slip plate

Quote Originally Posted by tmmcampbell View Post
    I think I would try slip plate first. EZ on, light weight, and hear it is real slick. Has anyone tested it over the rocks?
    It is really slick. I applied it to the rear 2/3 of the bottom of my XS. Used three spray cans so as to avoid having to clean up my airless sprayer. Haven't had the "opportunity" to give it the gravel bar test, but I can attest to the fact that is slips on and off the trailer much easier. Inexpensive too, I got 6 cans at Grangers for about $50. Also read that it helps to keep the inside of a mower deck clean of wet grass so I did that this morning, we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Boy, Do I know that ! I got stuck twice on the Tanana late last fall and spent a day getting it unstuck! Problem w/ the Tanana is its not gravely, so in that case I dont know how much the UMHW would hve helped other than too make more weight to drag off the sand bar. I am still learning as well and promised my hunting partner I would work on becoming a better boat driver. You might find this link Interesting.
    http://www.rockproofboats.com/home.html

when you look at the photos, I am sure you will think, what in the he!! are you doing in there with a boat! Thats the part about becoming a better boat driver, Real life is interesting that way, unlike when I was in school, first you get the test and then the lesson.....!
    This is why I carry a rope-type come-along in the boat with snatch block to double the pulling power. I wish I could buy the small gas-powered type but the wife put the kibosh on that.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Anybody thats not been stuck like that has not really went jet boating. That being said I can see right off boat to big for water. LOL I have my own t shirts.

Yeah, it took several dumb moves to do that stunt!
    It was a days work getting off, we had a good come along and some good samaratains loaned us some 400 feet of anchor rope to reach something to pull from, I had a anchor and it woulda worked , but the tree didnt move!
    The problem with rope is the amount of stretch, and only 15' stroke on the come-a-long made it even more interesting.
    This year I will be packing an electric winch and 600 feet of wire rope, hopefully I learned to read the water better and to pack it in for the night before you get stuck!!!

Consider getting some AmSteel Blue winch line. It doesn't stretch, therefore it doesn't store energy and is much safer because it won't whip back if it does break. It is very strong and very light compared to its strength. I carry 400 feet and also have it mounted on my electric winch. Not cheap but you only have to use it once to love it.

http://www.amsteelblue.com/

I love my flabottom boat that practically slides off of sandbars, something a boat with keels built into the bottom cannot do. Plus, a wider boat would be up a bit higher on the water.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

UHMW on a jet boat makes no sense. Once the jet sucks sand you're stuck. Jet boats get stuck by running aground as well as by losing propulsion and coming off step, leaving the boat stuck in shallow water. In either case, UHMW does no good. With UHMW you'll be just as stuck, only heavier. And all the bolts and/or rivets through your boat bottom won't be anything to be proud of, either. Especially when you bounce off a rock and deform the bottom, which wouldn't have leaked before you drilled those holes in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    UHMW on a jet boat makes no sense.
    I'd have to disagree.....UHMW would have saved my bacon many, many times.......no, you're not going to be able to drive around in 1" of water all day but it will definitely keep you from getting stuck as easily, and once suck, you'll be floating much more easily in most situations....see attached pics for an example...lol

which wouldn't have leaked before you drilled those holes in it!
    agreed, but there is a trade off for everything....you might leak after a good hit but you might not have a tear/hole either...I sure wish I had UHMW on my boat this last weekend...but I didn't and now the boat is headed to the welder for repairs.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

A couple years back, I got a deal on a Lewis chain saw winch. I used it the first year to pull two moose out, one from water, one to the water.
    Last year, on the Fourth, I was hauling a heavy load up the Goodpaster when we went hard aground. Just the wife and I. We could not budge the boat, couldn't even shake it.
    I waded ashore and hooked the line to a tree. At idle that boat started to turn. I gave it some more gas and climbed up on the bow and headed for that tree.
    I came to a conclusion that day. If we are overloaded someONE may stay on the beach, but Mr Lewis' winch rides!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    Consider getting some AmSteel Blue winch line. It doesn't stretch, therefore it doesn't store energy and is much safer because it won't whip back if it does break. It is very strong and very light compared to its strength. I carry 400 feet and also have it mounted on my electric winch. Not cheap but you only have to use it once to love it.
    A piece of synthetic winch rope will do the work well.
    Synthetic ATV winch line, 3/16"
    Synthetic winch line, 3/8"

UHMW on a jet boat makes no sense. Once the jet sucks sand you're stuck. Jet boats get stuck by running aground as well as by losing propulsion and coming off step, leaving the boat stuck in shallow water. In either case, UHMW does no good. With UHMW you'll be just as stuck, only heavier. And all the bolts and/or rivets through your boat bottom won't be anything to be proud of, either. Especially when you bounce off a rock and deform the bottom, which wouldn't have leaked before you drilled those holes in it!
    UHMW when apllied right makes ALOT of sense on a jetboat.

More often than not getting stuck is a result of trying (intentionally or not) to slide across a long gravel bar/shallow section with the motor at idle,and "not" clogged up, using the momentum of the boat. With higher friction/drag of a bare aluminum hull often this cannot be acomplished. That same boat with UHMW on the bottom can often easily make this same slide and continue on in deeper waters.

Anyone who has ever pushed a boat on gravel with/without UHMW will never argue of the benefits when performing this task.

Sure bolts can leak over time but like any other vehicle used in an extreme/rough fashion they do require maintenance. Most offroad vehicles sure do and this type of boat is the waterbound equivalant. We have not yet seen another method of attachment which is durable enough for extreme use over the long term.

As always the boat hull must also be designed properly to reap the benfits of UHMW and the plastic itself should not be used as a "fixall" for a boat which is not properly designed for shallow water use

Cheers
    Skinny water addict

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast