Thread: how much recoil difference between 300mag-375h&h

Default how much recoil difference between 300mag-375h&h

can anyone tell me how much difference there is between a 300 win. mag and a 375H&h,i never shot a 375 but own a model 70 300mag and don`t have any problem shooting it,but if the 375 is to much reciol i don`t won`t to waste money on a gun i could not shoot.

The 375 is about 50% more. Of course this varies depending on rifle weight and bullet weight etc. The same weight rifle, say 9 lbs., a 180 gr at 2960 fps is about 30 ft lbs of recoil. A 375 in the same rifle with a 300 gr at 2550 is almost 45 ft lbs of recoil.

Standing I don't notice this nearly as much as on the bench, where I can "feel" it is ( ie. a 375) about half again as much as a 300 win mag.

For me a 300 feels more like a sharp punch, while the 375 has what feels like less punch up front but a bunch more followthrough. I have no qualms putting a 25# bag of shot between me and my light 375 (7 pounds) on the bench, but can shoot it all day long offhand. My heavier 375's (9-10 pounds) don't require the shot bag on the bench, but my shooting sessions with either rarely go over 20 rounds. Offhand they're even easier.

When I lack a shot bag, I'll sight in the light one while standing full upright and bracing my forehand against the side of a pole or tree. Kinda scuffs the hand but the shoulder is fine.

the .375 H&H feels like a push. The .300 WINCHESTER Mag, feels like a punch. I had one that used to feel like an ax hit my shoulder (.375 H&H) until a Vais break stopped that crap. Of course it was a light weight Mauser. Now it's a ***** cat.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

well i missed out on the 375 i was bidding on it and it went real high 1,455.00 so it looks like i will be staying with the 300 for right now.

I'd just stick with your 300. it will do you fine. recoil is very subjective, to many variables in regards to the rifle and the shooter.

I had a 458Lott that more than one guy has dropped while shooting under recoil, yet my wife has cranked off rounds with it. she didnt like it mind you.

I shot a ruger 416rigby last year that made my old 338 feel like the hammer of thor. the rigby was smooth. the rigby was smoother than my 416rem.

to many variables.

I fired my new to me .375 H&H today. It's a Browning, and I fired it without the recoil reduction accessory. What hearing i have left is more important to me than avoiding a bruise or two.

Anyway, the recoil seemed to me to actually be easier to handle than that of a .300 Weatherby Mk V I owned for a while, and is actually more comparable to an 1895 Marlin 45/70 with heavy loads.

In summary, the "push" is major, but the punch isn't so bad.

I like shooting a 375 HH a lot more than a 300 Win Mag. I think of te 375HH as more like a 12 gauge shotgun type recoil.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default 375 Recoil

When I bought my Browning 375 H&H I was intimidated by the size of the round. I had the recoil of this gun built up in my mind to being MUCH bigger than it really is. Don't get me wrong, when I go to the range to zero a scope or adjust the zero I won't shoot more than about 8 rounds. After that it starts to hurt my shoulder to the point that I start flinching. That's just me though, you might be bigger and can handle it better. Don't worry about the recoil. As far as loudness, honestly, I can't remember the recoil or the sound of the gun going off when I am shooting an animal...unless the scope comes back and bites me and I have had that on everything from my 308 to shotguns (yes I like using scopes on 12 guage for Turkey hunting...I know, how could I?) I only remember that on the range.
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

My 375Wby has a break and so does my 300Wby but the 300 has a much faster felt kick than does my 375
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS