Thread: Clear Creek

Default Clear Creek

Hey all,

I'll be fishing Clear Creek this weekend and have never been before. Does anyone have any info on how things are going up there? I've heard the kings are few and far between. I'll likely bring gear for kings and trout (spinning for kings and fly fishing for trout). Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks!

the reds are in but not very many. you are a couple of weeks early for the real king run. but you never know, with this warm weather it could be any time. good luck

don't forget your gear for the bear that usually roam up there looking for your fresh salmon

Quote Originally Posted by orinak View Post
    Hey all,

I'll be fishing Clear Creek this weekend and have never been before. Does anyone have any info on how things are going up there? I've heard the kings are few and far between. I'll likely bring gear for kings and trout (spinning for kings and fly fishing for trout). Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks!
    Don't even slow down at the mouth. Take your boat as far up Clear Creek as you can and walk upstream from there. Concentrate your efforts on the Rainbows, as that is your best chance for success right now. I would use spinners for the trout as well as your flies. Sometimes hardware works better than flys on them. Hit the holes in the turns of the creek and allow your baits to enter the leading riffles going into the holes. Work the deeper water and if it is shaded, even better. Most average about 15 inches but many go to 28 to 30 inches.

I was up at Clear Creek Monday morning. It's running grey water. They say it cut into a coal vein upstream somewhere. Nada on fish. I didn't see any roll and I fished hard for two hours before calling it quits. Good luck on your trip. If I was you I'de call the local guides and ask what catch rates they are getting before commiting to the trip.

AKRES,

How far up Clear Creek can you get right now in a jonboat w/ jet?

Last year I camped near the mouth of Fish Creek and walked up to Clear Creek up the old channel and fished upstream to some cabins about a mile up. That water was real thin in the late July timeframe. Can you get up that far right now?