Thread: YTA black bears

Default YTA black bears

All,

Has anyone seen or know of any black bears on Yukon Training Area this year, or the past few years? I'm not looking for a hunting spot. Just curious to see if anyone has seen any blackies out there. The only sign I've seen (to include trail cam pics) is from grizzlies. Just wondering if there are any still out there.

YTA has the lowest concentrate of Blackies in the state.....

Cool yta blackies

Buddy got one on camera last year. Did not have a chance to hunt though. It hit about mid june...

A buddy of mine took one out there this year. Not cool since all I had were griz last year

We took one out of there last year. The Grizzies are bad early, they should be on to different food now. We have a stand out there but have not checked it the last week or so due to the closures. The one from last year was about this time.

Steve

Default hmmm...

All I've had so far have been grizzlies, but I haven't put any food out for a few weeks. I wonder if the brown fuzzies have moved on enough that I might be able to bring in a blackie. I have a few bags of dog food and some syrup left. Maybe I'll run back out there.

last June we were training out there and had a blackie pull a guy out of his sleeping bag

The guy pulled out of the sleeping bag should not have had food in his tent. That is camping in bear country 101. I am not saying the guy deserved it, but come on.

If you want stats on how many bears were shot on YTA I wil give them up. I shot one bear and that was 1/3 of the black bears shot on YTA.
    Last edited by AFHunter; 06-19-2008 at 18:00. Reason: spelling

Default Tent?

If it was Army I bet they were not using a tent in June. You are quick to judge the situation. A training event involves alot poeple and alot of food spread across a large area. Is the chance he had food likely, Yes. However is everyone supposed to hang their rucksacks in a tree. I ask what the fire gaurd was doing. I am sure if it was the Airforce there would have been a building built the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by garrison1012 View Post
    If it was Army I bet they were not using a tent in June. You are quick to judge the situation. A training event involves alot poeple and alot of food spread across a large area. Is the chance he had food likely, Yes. However is everyone supposed to hang their rucksacks in a tree. I ask what the fire gaurd was doing. I am sure if it was the Airforce there would have been a building built the next day.

I am very quick to judge a situation with first hand knowledge. I spoke directly with the individual in a tent next to the guy pulled from the tent. I am sure the Air Force would have built a building to begin with, not after the fact. Too bad I work with the Army full time. The fire guard was doing what an Army fir guard does at 03:00. He was either sleeping or thinking about sleeping.

Hanging a rucksack in a tree will not stop a black bear. Put your food away from your tent. At most you lose your food. Not your tent, a few pounds of butt, or a rucksack.

Thumbs down Grizz

Alot of Grizz makes baiting a problem in YTA
    Alaska

Default well...

You must be a JTAC, with that said I believe we are refering to the same incident last summer with 3-21IN. (I was there when it happened) Did your source tell you he was sleeping with a tent full of food, I am curious? I dont want to spat back and forth. You know how dificult it can be to control food and garbage with 200-400 soldiers sleeping in a 2 mile area! With that said good luck hunting!

Default Cleared HOT!

If any info I put out was bad, then my "source" was tainted. The situation was not a tent full of food. The individual had some pogey bait.

A couple years back every time the morning chow run showed up at Firebird DZ a Boar Grizz showed up. The grizz never attacked, he kept a couple hundred yards away and never entered the camp. Made the morning chowline conversation interesting for sure.

I do know how hard it is to keep up with 10 guys let-alone a few hundred. You can tell soldiers and airmen a hundred times something, but they still do stupid stuff.

All that really matters is the guy was not killed.

good luck hunting to you also garrison.

couldn't help this one, i was there. i was PL with one of my squads and we were bivouacing on a hill out at Grizzly range. the guys didn't have food all over the place. each guy had a sealed MRE in his ruck for breakfast chow the next day. no mre trash. A black bear came into our area curious of us. he sniffed one guys bag and ended up dragging him out of his hooch by the bag. the guys scared him off and he went to another hooch. there he batted one of the guys through the poncho roof like a toy. at that point most of us had awoken and scared the bear off. no one was hurt, just a little scratched up. that is exactly how it went down.

Default sir...

were you successfull fith your bait this year? Glad you cleared things up.

Quote Originally Posted by hennessyktm View Post
    couldn't help this one, i was there. i was PL with one of my squads and we were bivouacing on a hill out at Grizzly range. the guys didn't have food all over the place. each guy had a sealed MRE in his ruck for breakfast chow the next day. no mre trash. A black bear came into our area curious of us. he sniffed one guys bag and ended up dragging him out of his hooch by the bag. the guys scared him off and he went to another hooch. there he batted one of the guys through the poncho roof like a toy. at that point most of us had awoken and scared the bear off. no one was hurt, just a little scratched up. that is exactly how it went down.

Thanks for sharing the inside scoop, Hennessy. Pretty wild stuff for sure!