Thread: Alpacka Raft of Craigslist

Default Alpacka Raft of Craigslist

Don't know if anyone is interested, but there is an Alapacka Raft I see on craigslist. If I didn't already own two I'd jump on this. Just FYI.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/723054429.html

Default Question for Lanche

Hey Lanche - not to hijack the thread, but a question on the Alpacka pics of you and your GF in the group buy thread. Did you guys buy the Insulmat or put some other mat in the floor of the raft, or not? If not - how cold was the bottom of the raft?

Thanks,

Michael

We'll we used them that day on the lake as posted in the pics. But also the following week in Mid-May on the 15 mile upper Eagle River float. It took about 4 hours to float. I never got cold although we did stop twice to dump out the water. Although we never got cold. No insulation mats or anything, just the stock seat. Love the rafts so far. Can't wait to use them again.

Here is a pic on Eagle River float:

I think only two members of the group buy bought the mat. I got the spray skirt which makes a huge difference in keeping water drips from the paddle out, but it wouldn't be 100% effective in whitewater. As for the floor, sitting on the installed inflatable seat makes a cold floor a non-issue in my opinion. When I load it with game meat, though, the extra floor stiffness might be nice.

Default Awesome

Thanks guys...I hadn't ordered my paddle yet so did that tonite, and went ahead and got an Insulmat just in case. I did get the spray skirt when I got the raft, so that will help some with the paddle leakage. My moose camp will be on the shore of a lake this fall, so I'm bringing the raft and look forward to some grayling fishing and possibly bows if there are any in the lake! And if I'm lucky enough to shoot a moose and it's on the other side of the lake, we may have to put the raft to work gettin the meat back to camp.

One more Q - is that Upper Eagle River float pretty easy, and will it still be a good float in September? I spend 7-10 days after my hunt visiting my Mom and sisters in Anchorage, and would love to do a half-day raft float not too far from town, if there are some good ones (I've never rafted before, so gotta do some easy ones first). But I can't really do anything long or far from Anchorage, don't want to impose on my time with them too much...

Thanks,

Michael

Upper Eagle River is super tame. It looks exactly like the pic above for the most part. Shouldn't be tough at all. Good section to try out the Alpacka for the first time though.

mdhunter - Let me know when you're in town. There is an even shorter section of Eagle River that can be done in 2.5 hours including the hike in. I'll likely be out hunting on the weekends, but would be happy to float with you after work someday. I get off at 2:30, so we'll have plenty of time if you're interested.

Default floors

I havent bought a mat/floor yet but have used them with and without since a friend has one. After trying his I will be buying one, when rafting some of the faster boulder strewn creeks it helps prevent the floor pinching between your feet and butt and the rocks below you. Besides the comfort and rigidity factors.

I so wish I had bought the spray skirt. On a couple floats in good froth the boat fills to the top every hundred feet or so while friends boats have but a few cups....frustrating. Although the newest spray skirt in production is receiving rave reviews they're not fitting previously purchased boats but as soon as they start retrofitting im sending her back for a skirt.

Default Will Do!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    mdhunter - Let me know when you're in town. There is an even shorter section of Eagle River that can be done in 2.5 hours including the hike in. I'll likely be out hunting on the weekends, but would be happy to float with you after work someday. I get off at 2:30, so we'll have plenty of time if you're interested.
    Brian - thanks for the offer, I'll definitely take you up on it! I'll make sure to exchange contact info via PM before I head up there around the 3rd of September.

Michael

Default Homegrown Spray Skirt?

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    I havent bought a mat/floor yet but have used them with and without since a friend has one. After trying his I will be buying one, when rafting some of the faster boulder strewn creeks it helps prevent the floor pinching between your feet and butt and the rocks below you. Besides the comfort and rigidity factors.

I so wish I had bought the spray skirt. On a couple floats in good froth the boat fills to the top every hundred feet or so while friends boats have but a few cups....frustrating. Although the newest spray skirt in production is receiving rave reviews they're not fitting previously purchased boats but as soon as they start retrofitting im sending her back for a skirt.
    hey dude - I'm no genius as a handiman, but always think I am. I wonder if it would be possible to make a homemade semi-sprayskirt by cutting a sheet of visqueen in a rectangle shape, and attaching it to the grommet holes/loops on the top of the raft? I'm thinking this would keep out quite a bit of water, and perhaps allow you to at least go farther between stops to empty water?

Default maybe so

I thought about it and im sure you could rig up something that would work but it would have to be sealed up pretty tight to keep that kind of water out. THen there is the issue of getting out should you flip it. I decided it would be money and time better spent leaving this one to the people who design the boats for a living. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I would think you could fashion a skirt that had a elastic cord that allowed you just slip it over the outside of the raft kind of like a cheap shower cap. A piece of tafetta nylon or even a cheap tent rainfly could probably be modified for the job.