Thread: Fishing Crasher

Default Fishing Crasher

I was wondering if it's possible to show up at the dock early in the morning and being able to get on a charter boat? My wife and I will be on the kenai peninsula from July 26 to Aug. 2 . She's not interested in doing a charter but if she finds something to do for the morning and the planets align just right I would love to get out for some halibut.

Eagle River, AK

If you can't find a spot on a smaller boat, check out Alaska Coastal Marine's half-day charters. There are almost always walk-on spots available, and your wife won't have to entertain herself for the entire day.

Thanks Brian, thats exactly what I was looking for. Has anybody fished with them?

Seems like a pretty good deal, prices are up a little bit at 105$/ person + a fuel charge though =/ To be honest you'll most likely catch the same size fish on most charters so why pay the extra 100?

thats the updated prices,

Have fun and good luck fishing!

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Yes you can. You just have to be fast. As they are on a schedule.... They have some cancelation from time to. Also the big party boats seem to always have room. Happy fishing.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The smaller boats tend to be a bit more selective. Going out all day on a 6 pack you're looking at keeping 12 halibut. On a delta or the larger boat you are looking at keeping 36-52 fish, and if it's a half day trip, do the math on getting that many fish in a couple hours of fishing.

Not sure about Homer, but I know in other parts of the state there have been alot of cancellations on charters. I'd just call up a few charters the night before and see if they have any openings. It shouldn't be hard to find a spot, and I know the capitans will be happy to fill up any slots they have.