Thread: New EPA Proposal for Recreational Boaters

Default New EPA Proposal for Recreational Boaters

Recreational boating could change as we know it if action is not taken on the Clean Boating Act of 2008 before September 30th.

http://www.boatblue.org/takeaction.aspx

Default Mmmmm

This would suck!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Skeptical

I am always skeptical - and think that everyone (EVERYONE) should know the whole story - I haven't done any reading on this subject - but anytime that a partial quote with a cut/past letter is the way to "sway" our government is given - usually there is an agenda to go along with it.

If the gas prices don't kill us off, this will.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    ..... anytime that a partial quote with a cut/past letter is the way to "sway" our government is given - usually there is an agenda to go along with it.
    And anytime the government craps up yet another set of regulations to save the environment from John Q. Public, "usually there is an agenda to go along with it."

It's getting closer to the September 30th deadline folks, and the EPA just submitted their draft proposal for pleasure boat requirements to the Federal Register.

http://www.boatblue.org/news.aspx?id=17372&emc=lm&m=6695&l=1&v=581609

In part, the website says:

"EPA’s Clean Water Act proposal unnecessarily creates a cumbersome, complex and confusing permitting scheme for recreational boaters, throwing them into a regulatory regime designed for land-based industrial facilities like sewer treatment plants. As a result, America’s 18 million recreational boat owners will be required to observe a multitude of new rules and practices, yet they won’t be provided clear information as to how to comply with these new federal requirements by EPA, exposing them to a high degree of regulatory uncertainty, compliance issues and legal jeopardy involving citizen lawsuits and $32,500 per violation per day penalties.

The EPA proposal also allows individual states to implement their own boating permits, creating the potential for mass confusion with a patchwork of differing state-by-state laws for boaters.

Equally problematic is that recreational boats above a certain length will be categorized as commercial ships and will be required to follow a different and more complex set of permit rules applicable to commercial vessels. There are two proposed general EPA permits: One for boats under 79 feet, and another for recreational boats 80 feet and above. This second permit, which also encompasses commercial ships, is even more complicated and makes an arbitrary and unreasonable distinction among recreational boats based on footage in order to classify them as commercial boats."

Everyone needs to contact their senators, congressmen and Pres Bush NOW or again!!!!

I will worry more about it when more facts or info comes in. Trying not getting a head ach
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I will worry more about it when more facts or info comes in. Trying not getting a head ach
    Me too....

Bottomline BELIEVE IT OR NOT...the EPA knotheads are really trying to stop recreational boating as we know it.

(Cut and Paste follows) "As of June 17, 2008 the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) published the Clean Water Act proposal in the Federal Register that will impose new requirements on recreational boaters to learn about and follow specific practices mandated by the federal government to operate their boats and manage their everyday, overboard water discharges."

This includes our engine's cooling water. This all becomes effective Oct 2008 and includes all navigable waters in the US unless the proposed amendments are adopted.
    I have my headache now.

Anyway we just need to weigh in with our reps and make sure that they approve the proposed change to the new EPA rules.

Rarely do I stand on the political bandwagon. But this is that critical. Oh and by the way Alaska's Federal EPA stuff is managed out of Washington State.

I just spent the morning reading the history and the proposal. It seems to me that recreational boaters have been EXEMPT from the Clean Water Act (CWA). A california judge found the exemption to be illegal, and revoked it, leaving recreational boaters subject to it's provisions. An you wouldn't like it's provisions.
    The EPS is appempting to find a way to permit recreational boaters so that they can continue to operate on US waters. The Environmentalists are sympathetic to the recreational boater because recreational boaters spend very little time on the water, and therefore pollute very little compared to large/commercial vessels (hence the 79' hull length division).
    The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) sees legislation as a means to reduce their boat sales, and so are arguing against it. I haven't read any alternative proposals by them, maybe they have a better way of keeping boat owners from polluting the hell out of the waters that us responsible boat owners love to enjoy.
    People might want to actually invest a few hours reading the material before getting all up in arms about it and making uninformed rants/raves about it. Except you anti-government nutcases, you might as well start ranting and raving now since it is government affiliated!

Here is the link to the BoatUS article

http://www.boatus.com/gov/alert_0308.asp

Here is a link for Bill S.2766 and HR 5949
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:S.2766:

http://www.washingtonwatch.com/bills...0_HR_5949.html

Talking Point: (Cut and Paste)

Clean Boating Act of 2008 - Amends the Federal Water Pollution Control Act (commonly known as the Clean Water Act) to provide that no permit shall be required by the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) under the national pollutant discharge elimination system for the discharge from a recreational vessel of graywater, bilge water, cooling water, weather deck runoff, oil water separator effluent, or effluent from properly functioning marine engines or for any other discharge that is incidental to the normal operation of such vessel.
    Defines a "recreational vessel", as any vessel that is leased, rented, or chartered to a person for that person's pleasure or that is manufactured or used primarily for pleasure, excluding vessels that are subject to Coast Guard inspection and that are engaged in commercial use or that carry paying passengers.
    Requires the Administrator to: (1) develop management practices for recreational vessels to mitigate the adverse impacts on U.S. waters of discharges incidental to normal vessel operation (excluding sewage) in any case in which the Administrator determines that the use of those practices is reasonable and practicable; and (2) promulgate federal standards of performance (which may distinguish among vessel types) for each discharge for which such a management practice is developed.
    Requires the Secretary of the department in which the Coast Guard is operating to promulgate regulations governing the design, construction, installation, and use of management practices for recreational vessels as necessary to meet such standards. Prohibits the owner or operator of a recreational vessel from operating in U.S. waters if such owner or operator is not using applicable management practices in compliance with such regulations.

My 2 cents

One of the bad parts of the Bill is this part I highlighted in Red. Something else to push the little guys out of business.

The above proposed Bills just make the exemption premenant. Many Boating Groups are worried that if these Bills do not continue to stay on track, with this being an election year, that we all will be stuck with the new rules come October.

SEC. 2. DISCHARGES INCIDENTAL TO THE NORMAL OPERATION OF RECREATIONAL VESSELS.

• Section 402 of the Federal Water Pollution Control Act (33 U.S.C. 1342) is amended by adding at the end the following:

• `(r) Discharges Incidental to the Normal Operation of Recreational Vessels- No permit shall be required under this Act by the Administrator (or a State, in the case of a permit program approved under subsection (b)) for the discharge of any graywater, bilge water, cooling water, weather deck runoff, oil water separator effluent, or effluent from properly functioning marine engines, or any other discharge that is incidental to the normal operation of a vessel, if the discharge is from a recreational vessel.'.

• The way I read this, just about ANYTHING can go overboard without permit. I don't think I want this type of behavior to go on with impunity.

I know you don't want more reading but here is a fact sheet.

http://www.epa.gov/npdes/pubs/vessel_rec_factsheet.pdf

and one more. More of a summary from start till now.

http://www.epa.gov/npdes/pubs/vessel_overview.pdf

The price of fuel is hurting let's not let some*******group ruin the rest of our fun.

It's just like voting...if you don't vote you have got nothing to say about the way things are going in this country. Drop our reps a line and let them know we are concerned.