Thread: Cascade CReek Cabin - Petersburg

Default Cascade CReek Cabin - Petersburg

Anyone familiar with this area? I am stay8ing there for a few days and I wondering if I should bring some fishing equipment. They say the rainbow trout fishing is good in nearby Swan Lake. I have never fished in fresh water so that should be interesting

Anything else besides trout? Anything possible from the beach? Can I lob a chunk of bait in the Bay and expect to catch something or would I be wasting my time?

piemel, I am interested in staying at this cabin in the future so I really hope you will report back with some information. Sorry I can't answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by critrgitr View Post
    piemel, I am interested in staying at this cabin in the future so I really hope you will report back with some information. Sorry I can't answer your question.
    Will do! I can't wait to get there

Default petersburg area

There is all kinds of fishing to be had in and around Thomas bay. If you get there by boat from Petersburg, fish near the cans at the mouth of the bay for Halibut. Strictly speaking of fresh water, I am not entirely sure. Talk with the sportsfish biologist in Petersburg. They are good people and wont lead you astray.

Good luck and enjoy the Petersburg area. I was sorry i had to leave!!!

Quote Originally Posted by critrgitr View Post
    As promised here is my little report on the cabin at Cascade Creek..... IT ROCKS

The cabin is everything I hoped it to be. It is situated right at the water with some great views. You can catch dungies right in front of the cabin. There is a small creek next to the cabin if you need access to fresh water to filter to drink (watch beaver fever) or dishwater. Right near the mouth of the creek you can catch dollies.

The trail towards Swan Lake is INTENSE but very pretty. Rainbow trout fishing should be extremely good there.

The cabin itself is effiecient, functional and basically great. Two stoves, one oil, one wood. There is a woodshed in the back with two axes. Wood should be provided but never count on it. Sleeps 4 people, has a table with benches.

I would HIGHLY recommend to rent a skiff and take it up there... fishing for halibut at the mouth of Thomas Bay, going up to the glacier where supposedly you can get close in at a creek at the right (i didnt try this because I dont want to be close to a glacier with a boat)... scenery cove.

I havent been in any other forest service cabins but this was a great experience. Highly recommended. Also a lot of the locals there said this was one of the better cabins to do stuff such as fishing and hiking... the thing that convinced me to book it was the fact that you can boat in from Petersburg and that there is great fishing... You can rent skiffs in town if needed.

Can't wait to go again.

Default How was fishing.

So the big question is did you bring home any trophies?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    So the big question is did you bring home any trophies?
    only fished for real one day with Tom ... got 6 halis from 25 to 65 pounds... perfect sizes... no trophies

hard to convince the girlfriend to take a few days off and fish hard.... next year I will do a boys only trip with a stay at a lodge and some cabin camping.... might have to wait till 2010 to get a spot at rocky point.

fished with Rocky Point in the evening for king salmon but they are slow pickings .. let me know when they do finally come in (if at all) ... it be interesting to see how late they are

lots of fish around though... heck, I even had fun in the harbor showing some kids from private boats to catch herring... hard to miss them when you have CLOUDS of herring at the docks ... also showed them to load up their reel with flounders by chopping up the herring and using that as bait

petersburg rocks ... i had a great time... hope the girlfriend's parents let me go back there again

thanks for all your help

By the way... the 18' skiffs from Doyle's are great... much more robust than I initially anticipated and nicely laid out/stocked for fishing... gaff, chopping board, rod holders, crabpot, knives etcetera... all said and done a perfect boat to cross around the sound for some good fishing....

i think we did close to 30 on the way back from thomas bay to petersburg... you guys are spoiled there with your water conditions... here in the SF Bay we consider a 3 foot swell a flat calm day... I heard radio chatter talking about 8" chop and what not... made me laugh

then again, we don't have to dodge whales, orcas, porpoise and icebergs

see you next year!

Quote Originally Posted by piemel View Post
    As promised here is my little report on the cabin at Cascade Creek..... IT ROCKS
    piemel, Thanks for the update - can't wait to go!

Thanks for the report and info. I am headed up in a couple weeks for the first time. We have a couple of Doyles 18' boats rented and are bouncing around to some of the Forest Service Cabins. We are staying at the West Point cabin across the sound from Thomas Bay, and my biggest concern was water conditions in the sound in an 18 footer. From your report this is more than do-able.
    BTW.....you going to divulge the location of your halibut hole??

Have been four times in late June and we nailed kings everyday at the mouth of Blind Slough. One year, Fish & Game even raised the daily limit to four. Love the place!

We threw crap pots on the way to BS and picked them up on the way back. Nothing like dungies and martinis before a fresh salmon dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by Idahoman View Post
    Have been four times in late June and we nailed kings everyday at the mouth of Blind Slough. One year, Fish & Game even raised the daily limit to four. Love the place!

We threw crap pots on the way to BS and picked them up on the way back. Nothing like dungies and martinis before a fresh salmon dinner!
    I landed in Petersburg the evening of July 2nd... the morning of July 3rd I was scoping out Blind Slough and they posted notices that fishing (ALL fishing) was going to be stopped July 4 till the end of July... that was the major bummer of my trip,as I really really wanted to learn how to flyfish and catch some salmon from the riverbanks which I have never done before.

oh and for those who are staying at cascade creek .... throw a pot near wherever the commercials put some pots... if there are no commericial pots there probably is no crab.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboliya View Post
    Thanks for the report and info. I am headed up in a couple weeks for the first time. We have a couple of Doyles 18' boats rented and are bouncing around to some of the Forest Service Cabins. We are staying at the West Point cabin across the sound from Thomas Bay, and my biggest concern was water conditions in the sound in an 18 footer. From your report this is more than do-able.
    BTW.....you going to divulge the location of your halibut hole??
    hour outside of petersburg in frederick sound... past thomas bay... we fished a hill and hit the tides just right.

the doyle skiffs will have no problem crossing the sound... unless there is some storm or whatever... conditions are great... i am from the SF bay area and we consider a 3 foot swell flat conditions... over in petersburg they are on the radio chattering about 8" windchop... different planets.

Right on, thanks Piemel. Did you notice the MPG in the skiff? We are bring a couple of VHF handhelds, are those skiffs equipped w/ radios?
    Thanks, Jim

Default Jimboliya

I hate to butt in however, my parents own Doyle's Boat rentals so I just thought I would offer to answer any questions you have about the skiffs and the area around Petersburg feel free to ask. The boats do not come equiped with radios. I've never paid much attention to the rate of fuel consumption for the 40 hp motors that are on the 18' skiffs. They are very fuel efficient and as Piemel knows, George (my dad) will put in plenty of extra fuel if he knows that you'll be away from town for a few days. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Default Closed

Quote Originally Posted by piemel View Post
    I landed in Petersburg the evening of July 2nd... the morning of July 3rd I was scoping out Blind Slough and they posted notices that fishing (ALL fishing) was going to be stopped July 4 till the end of July... that was the major bummer of my trip,as I really really wanted to learn how to flyfish and catch some salmon from the riverbanks which I have never done before.

oh and for those who are staying at cascade creek .... throw a pot near wherever the commercials put some pots... if there are no commericial pots there probably is no crab.
    Too bad. Sounds like you were just a few days late.