Thread: Cast performance bullets

Default Cast performance bullets

Who has any experience with cast performance bullets? How you like their quality? Iím looking to buy 300 gr for the 44 and 405 gr for the 45/70.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskadude View Post
    Who has any experience with cast performance bullets? How you like their quality? Iím looking to buy 300 gr for the 44 and 405 gr for the 45/70.

Thanks in advance.
    Check out Alaska's vary own Ranger Rick's bullets. He is a poster here on these forums. His cast bullets are as good as any I've ever shot and his are 3,000 miles fresher. (I thought that would be funny to add)
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I use them regualrly in my 480 Ruger. They work wonderfully and are reasonably priced. They ship reasonably too. Jim

Default reasonable price

I have to say that since their price increase in late 2007, the price is not as reasonable as Ranger Ricks or Bullet Man Dan Congliosi up in Delta.

For a lot of years the 44 cal 300 grain from cast bullet performance was my favorite. But with the price hike, I'm going for a closer source such as Rick or Dan. Probably should have done that long ago, but it was just too easy to walk into a local store and buy rather than order. No more.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Local Bullet Casters

I've been gittin 44 Bullets from "Stoner Bullet and Supply". 376-9488

I see this guy (Lee Stoner) at the local gun shows. He likes to wear over'halls. I dunno if he casts 300 Grainers but I got 2 boxes of 100 each, 270 grain SWC GCs from him last time, as well as another 500 of his 240 BBs, that I use for practice. He casts good bullets, and his prices are very reasonable.

The 270s LOOK real good, better than the CP 300 grains which I've also loaded. These beeg boolits are for Bar Protection, and I don't shoot'em regularly, but I could because since I don't load'em hot, the recoil is not an issue.

I've also tried Arnies Bullets. I get them from him when he's at the gunshows, mostly 357s from him. They're OK, too.

I might as well try'em all. I ain't gonna wear my barrel out with cast bullets.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've shot a couple of boxes of CP 360gr WLNGC in my .454 Casull, and they are great. Just got my third box yesterday in my quarterly Midway order.

Thanks Smitty for the report on Arnie's bullets...I also picked-up some .44 bullets from him at the gun show, but haven't used them yet.

Guys,

Thanks for the advices, I will look into Dan and Rick bullets. Big Al fresher is better......

Take care.

I go to Marshall Stantons website aka. Beartooth Bullets and buy exactly what my firearms need. I too slugg my bore to buy the correct bullet. Example 44 mag/.429" supposedly, in mine it is .431dia. so his bullets provide the accuracies I require.

just my .02

Cast Performance makes some very nice over the counter hard cast bullets, they do just come in a couple of "sizes" for a given caliber. Both Marshall Stanton and Dan Gongiolosi will size the bullets to any size that you ask for (within reason for the caliber) and the correct fit is likely the most important aspect of good cast bullet shooting. Both these guys are good upstanding people and will give you more than your money's worth. Dan is much more diversified in what he can offer for both rifle and handgun and he is such a great guy to talk to about guns and bullets. No finer gentleman will you ever meet. I truly enjoy visits with this guy.

Call ahead and tell him what your interested in and he can have it for you when you come down.

This is not meant in any way to say that Rick here on this forum is not every bit the fiber of the previous two gents and by all means consult him about your needs. I have not as yet done business with Rrick but have seen a lot of his bullets and he can certainly make 'em. I have used his bullets for a couple of S&W500 shooters I've loaded for and they are some performers.

Buying local is worth a try.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Agreed on the local support, I will certainly do that too Murphy-thanks!

I used the CP bullets in both my 500 and 460 with great results. Bought a bunch of them before I decided to stary casting my own.
    They ship using the flat rate boxes which is a huge help to any reloader.
    I used to always add a box or two to my Cabela's order to round up the price as high as I could without hitting the next higher level for shipping charges.
    Tennessee

Cast Perfromance bullets come in very nice boxes, too. Marshall's boxes are not as strong but Dan's bullets are placed in the box in neat stacked rows, no chance for a bullet to get dinged. I just thought I'd throw that out...........it could be important. Ok, maybe not.

CP bullets are good bullets but the best thing they have going for them is their distribution system. They are available many places, the others are not.

Dan made me some bullets with the base cast of hard alloy and a soft lead nose and sized them correctly for my rifle. That is the best of both worlds.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskadude View Post

Thanks in advance.
    Actually the 44 300 grain hard cast that I prefer over all the others I've tried is the CP WFNGC 300 sized for the Rugers or S&W 's at .430". I send this at velocities as high as 1500 fps with zero leading and very good accuracy, about 1" at 50 yards. It also shoots very well in the Marlin if sized to .431". If you buy direct from CP they can now ship USPS flat rate priority for about 10 bucks, and they will size them to .431".

The 45-70 likes the 420 grain and I think that is a WFN also and all my hard cast use gas checks.