Thread: Egg Curing

Default Egg Curing

Any good egg curing recipes out there? Salmon eggs for you smart guys!

Talking

Here’s my recipe:

½ pound borax
    ¼ cup brown sugar
    ¼ cup table salt
    1 oz. red food coloring

Split scanes in half and dry with paper towels. Then sprinkle with food coloring to sit for four hours and dry again with paper towels. Mix the borax, brown sugar, and salt and pour ½ of the mixture over the scanes flip the scanes and pour the remaining mixture on the other side. Place the scanes and the cure mixture in a 1-gallon baggie and shake gently. Remove scanes from baggie and place on paper towels and allow to dry in a cool dry place over night. Then divide into ¼# portions and put in Baggies roll Baggies up to remove as much air as possible without damaging eggs. Keep in a cool dry place until needed.

TL

Thanks Tight Lines I'll give it a try. I figured there would be more people that knew how to cure eggs! Or is it "Ancient Chineese Secret", promised dad you wouldn't give out the secret recipe for baked beans!

Default Sodium Sulfate

Speaking of egg curing. Does anyone know of where I can find some sodium sulfate here in Anchorage? Before the digital age we used to be able to find it anywhere there were photo supplies sold. Even Carrs and Fred Meyers... That was several years ago though.

You might actually want sodium sulfite...it's a pretty common cure ingredient. You can get that at Sportsmans, Mtn. View, etc... Look for the Pro-Cure stuff, you'll find all their cures, individual chemicals like sodium sulfite, sodium metabisulfite, borax (plain and colored), dyes, etc etc.... Last time I was in Sportsmans, they had all this stuff.

Why not just use an over the counter cure (although I do like to tinker a bit too)??? I've had good luck with Pro-Cures Wizard Cure, Nate's Bait Egg Cure, Cure All Sulfite Cure, and Pro-Cures original Pro Glo cure.

Check out this links....
    Here is a brine cure: Worlds Best Eggs - Piscatorial Pursuits

Here is a good article on prepping and curing eggs: How to cure eggs like the pros.

Sulfate, sulfite... Tomatoe, tomato... You are exactly correct and I am full of... well, sulfate I guess. Thanks for the information. I had no idea they sold it at Mt. View or Sportsman’s and you would think I would know that, as I spend quite a bit of time at these places. Yes some to the over the counter cures are great, but I have this cure that I used to use many years ago before I started fly fishing and want to mix up a batch. Now that the grandkids are old enough to start doing some fishing, I want to get some eggs ready for them to use. Thanks again...
    Last edited by Alaskan Fly Guy; 06-20-2008 at 11:18. Reason: spelling