Thread: O'Brien to Haley Creek trail (Chitina)...

Default O'Brien to Haley Creek trail (Chitina)...

Does all the fishing (spots) along the O'Brien to Haley creek trail require cliff/rock climbing to get down to the water? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Default Yes

Yes and Yes

No. If you can see a well used trail you should be able to walk it. Will be steep and more like climbing a very steep set of say 150 stairs with loose rock here and there. Easy does it and it you get a bunch of salmon the load up takes a bit more effort than the trip down. I have an old backpack I line with a gunny sack but the plastic type and then put a garbage bag in(which I lift out and put into cooler) and up I go. I gut and de-head the salmon before I head back up, which can be a bit of a chore. For that I have a 2X2(or any close size) scrap piece of plywood to use as a countertop and I've found if I bring a little bucket on a string I can scoop up some river water and rinse all the blood and guts away and get my hands clean. The river is reachable for rinsing blood off but it's at an angle going sharply into the water and it surges up and down, so that even if you've solid footing, you'll get wet feet more than likely. Usually there is a piece of plywood at any 'used' spot but not always so bring one. A SHARP knife will make life easier.
    As soon as you get in or near(even gassing up or chowing down in Glenallen)Chitina ask anyone you see how they did and if its slow be patient and don't give up on a spot. Mark Hem says pick a spot and stay with it. He does the charter's outa O'Brien Creek. Doesn't make sense to climb all the way down to a spot and give up and climb back up and try again. Even if someone is down at a spot you've climbed down to, watch for a while, ask them how they've been doing. Rarely does anyone go straight at it for many hours. That is when they take a break, step in but try to take a bread yourself as they prepare to start dipping again. Fit in and ask them how long they are going to be dipping. I never mind one or more people dipping in the one area I go to. And rather than climb back up try different places to dip in what ever spot you end up in. In the spot I go to there are 5 or 6 spots to dip, most are with the current and so involve 'sweeping' or driving the dipnet forward down river to keep the net open behind the frame of the dipnet(as opposed to having the current drag the net around frame and essentially blocking the frame) This is work and as I am old(er) and less in shape I can't do this for hours and hours. There usually is a spot or two where there is a pretty steady backwash or eddy. In these spots you can rest the net, and yourself, and wait to fill the tug of a salmon in the net. At my spot the backwashes vary with the water level; and can be random, one moment steady the next moment the water swirls around and raps your net up. I've found they, at the spot I go to, are less productive than the 'hot spot' you find sweeping but require a hell of lot less effort and so I can spend 45 minutes or so doing this with little effort. Good luck, which is helpful!
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Default Opinion

Even the trails to me would be somewhat climbing, especially with a full load. It is nice to have climbing rope and a harness, makes it easier. You are essentially dipnetting off a mountain, so everywhere is fairly steep, whether it is a trial or rocks etc....good luck

One thing I've drawn the line at is dipping when its raining. Where I dip its fairly 'careful' stepping and I won't dip when you add wet rocks to the equation, and fish slime getting all slick ect. When I dip at 'my spot' I set up a tent up above on the road and so can just go take a nap and wait for it to stop raining.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default That cracks me up.

It don't hardly rain enough to wet your hat down there this time of year.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.