Thread: Hook rules and regulations

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Default Hook rules and regulations

Hey, has anyone noticed that our general fishing regulations for fresh water say that the gap between the shank and hook point on "multiple" hook setups can't be more than 1/2"? I just measured and the standard treble hook on a #6 Vibrax is pretty close to 5/8" and a 5/0 hook is a little wider than that depending upon exactly how you measure it.
    Has anyone ever been cited for having to large of a hook? Just wondering

Default Been that way for a LONG time....

Quote Originally Posted by bmunsell View Post
    Hey, has anyone noticed that our general fishing regulations for fresh water say that the gap between the shank and hook point on "multiple" hook setups can't be more than 1/2"?
    The 1/2" reg on trebles has been around for at least 35 years.

If you want to go bigger, just cut off two of the points... or switch out to an open eye siwash, Gami 510, or Matzuo Sickle. That way you can use whatever size you want with two exceptions.

In specifically designated "single hook waters", you must not exceed a 1/2" gap.

In specifically designated "fly-only" waters, you must not exceed a 3/8" gap.

And yes, I have seen guys get popped on the Russian-Kenai fly-only waters for fishing hooks that were too big.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Never seen anyone cited on Ship Creek being that vibrax users make up 1/2+ of the fisherman typically, but It's possible that its happened

Default he is

talking about a treble hook legal water - not a single hook. I have wondered the same thing - as my box is 3/4 full of #6's..........what about a 6/0 gami single hook rig in a multiple hook water? It also has more of than a 1/2 inch gap.