Thread: Launching drill at Whiskey Gulch

Default Launching drill at Whiskey Gulch

Anybody have any observations as to the best way to launch a skiff at Whiskey Gulch? I saw a backhoe there on Sunday, but I think it might have been private rather than for hire. Looks like a person could get stuck there fairly easily.

Default Good Luck

I have fished the gulch once a year for the last 9 years. I launch a 13' inflatable with a four-wheeler. I am usually there around the 4th of July. The last few years there has been a guy there with a buggy, it appeared he was charging folks to launch and/or pull them out when they got stuck. I have also seen guys launch their aluminum boats by backing into the surf. They usually make it up the beach alright with out the boat on the trailer. When they land the boat, the get it on the trailer, unhook it from the truck and move the truck to a safer/harder surface and then tug the boat and trailer up the beach with a long rope.

Default or two trucks

Unfotunately you almost need two trucks. We went out a couple times this year & one truck trailers the boat while the other helps pull. Usually you will have no problmems with launching, but on the retrieve we use two rigs. Especially if there is a good surf breaking, back one truck up while still on hard ground, then run the rope down to the water. Back up the trailer, winch on the boat while one guy hooks up the rope & then use both rigs to pull up. It works smooth once you get the hang of it, & we did this a couple weeks ago right after a skiff got swamped coming in & they had to wait for 10-15 minutes for the tide to reciede enought to pull their plugs as everything in the boat was floating & there was no moving it.

Default Thanks guys

I guess I'm out of luck if I have a heavy skiff and only one truck, huh?

I wonder how it would be to use a truck with a winch, and power/winch yourself back up the beach...? Probably nothing to anchor a winch to though.

Akrider you said:
    "...unhook it from the truck and move the truck to a safer/harder surface and then tug the boat and trailer up the beach with a long rope."

How do they keep the trailer tongue from plowing into the gravel?

Fished off Whiskey Gulch EVERY year near Memorial Day from 1985 to 2003. Launched a 16 ft Klamath off an EZ Load trailer using either a 4-wheeler or a 6-wheeler. Always go at an angle so you do not get stuck as easily. Landing the boat was always a two wheeler job regardless if you had a 6-wheeler. DRIVE the boat onto the trailer and have somebody ready to clip the front on. Then drive out and turn to about 30 to 45 degrees to the water and just work your way out. Make sure you have good speed when you get near the top, or those medium sized loose rocks will stick you. Many fond memories with the Whiskey Gulch Classic. We quit going because it is too devolped and all the campsites are junk and too much 'private' property. Used to have fun there (back before those outhouses were installed).

Default poor tongues

For the most part they don't. I wouldn't try it without a spare coupler.

Skligmund, I know what you mean about the traffic getting worse. I started camping with Smith and Wesson as the people get crazier every year. The first year I went in, I was scared that I would not get back out as it rained the whole week and the road, I guess it was a trail then, had a washout about halfway up. You probably ran into my father-in-law down there over the years. He frequented that area since the mid 80's. He showed me the ropes and now lets me do all of the work. I LOVE IT! If either one of you are down there 4th weekend, I am in a blue cummins with an overhead camper, black and red Delphine and red Arctic Cat wheeler. I'll buy you a beer.

Default Whiskey Gulch

Last year I launched on Whiskey Gulch in July with an inflatable, nearly got stuck but this year I mad launch wheels for my 16' Achilles and have a depthfinder. Looking for any fishing advice and camping options. Going to go early next week. Thanks

Default Whisky Gulch & Travel Trailer

I tent camped Whisky Gulch for several years before the road was improved. Now I am older and like the comforts of a travel trailer. The question is...can I get back out to the highway towing a travel trailer up the road? (Dodge 4WD) Would the resident buggy be of help?

I drove down the road a couple of years ago and was amazed by how good it was, unlike the tank traps of years ago!

Default fishing holes???

I have been fishing there for the last 2 years, I have a nice chicken hole about 10 miles out someone gave me, started looking to stay in closer to the beach but didn't have much luck last week. Just courious if anyone does well 3 miles or closer to the beach. I'm fishing a 19' alumaweld open top river boat and have to use two vehicles and 200' of 5/16 cable to pull truck trailor and boat off the beach, works well, just takes two vehicles.
    All these post sure help when researching options. Thanks in advance for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by squirle View Post
    I have been fishing there for the last 2 years, I have a nice chicken hole about 10 miles out someone gave me, started looking to stay in closer to the beach but didn't have much luck last week. Just courious if anyone does well 3 miles or closer to the beach. I'm fishing a 19' alumaweld open top river boat and have to use two vehicles and 200' of 5/16 cable to pull truck trailor and boat off the beach, works well, just takes two vehicles.
    All these post sure help when researching options. Thanks in advance for any info.
    I`ve landed large halibut in 24' of water in that region but they do tend to move with the bait so it`s different every time. Try to find the inside edge of the kelp bed, anchor, and wait...something will come if the salmon are running strong.

Default whiskey gulch in early 90's..

I fished the gulch for quite few yrs in the early and mid 90's. It was great fishing then w/o going to far out most of the time. I never used an anchor as I fished out of my rather heavy 15.5 ft Achilles. It had a steering console, large cooler w. seats on it, etc. The beach/surf ate a vehicle nearly every year and the veterans watched w. much amusement at the circus of rookies trying to get their boats out. There are many great tips for getting your boat out smoothly. Wide(r) tires were helpful. Even letting some air out of them could save you. Backing your trailer in with your truck at a 45 degree angle and pulling it out almost parallel to the surf was a must. I just had a regular half ton chev ( 4 wheel of course) and never did get stuck. By the way, the less tread on the tires the better. And yes, the road up the hill was another last minute thrill b4 your were safe on the hiway above to head home.