Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help

Talking Need help

I am looking for some help on taking a black bear. I have been out 3 times and I am not having in luck. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I only know what I have heard. Last hunting partner was not that good so I am tring to do this by word of mouth and what ever I can pick up myself. Can any one lend a hand?

Default Wadda ya tried?

You don't tell what you have tried so it's hard to give any advice.
    I would recommend looking through the posts now current and the archived ones. Just search for "black bear".
    Are you baiting or spotting? Have you seen any sign? If there is no sign it's time to move on.
    Last edited by bullbuster; 06-16-2008 at 21:13. Reason: .
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

In order to give pointers, we need to know a bit about what you've tried. Are you spot-and-stalk hunting, or are you baiting? What area are you hunting? How far are you willing to drive? Are you hunting on foot, or via atv? How much time do you have to spend afield?

still plenty of bears around down here, just work the edges of the cottonwood groves across the bay near tide flats.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default help

I am just walking and looking for sign. I have been to Cooper Landing and Eagle River Visitor Center. I have seen sign in Eagle River and saw bears but not where I can shoot. No sign in Cooper Landing. I am going to try Hope this weekend but once again I have to go by myself. I walk and look but never find anything. I only have the weekends now. I spent 3 days in the field and just walked alot. Did have a good time, but would like to take a bear. I just don't know what to do. I just try to use common sense. I am willing to do what it takes to do this. I want to thank every one who is willing to help in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by reddsphire577@yahoo.com View Post
    I spent 3 days in the field and just walked alot. Did have a good time
    HaHa This is what it's all about. dang dead bead bear laying at your feet don't mean nothing unless your hungry

Thats why they call it HUNTING!!!!!!

Default Just my thoughts

I am not there right now, but if I was you I would look at Turnagain arm area, lot closer than hope! Of course if it is buried in snow then you are out of luck.

Good Luck, and dont give up,

Default Tring to learn by web

I know its called hunting. I just don't think that I am doing it right. I have talked to many people just in passing and they have been successful. Two of the guys that I talked to are the ones who told me to come to this web site. I just want to make sure that I am not missing something by not having anyone to teach me and just going by my gut instinct. I do appreciate the offer. Will you be back soon? I would take you up on it in an instant. So I am just trying to gather info to make sure I can learn how to do this by email or how ever since I don't have anyone to take me. Thanks again for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by reddsphire577@yahoo.com View Post
    I am just walking and looking for sign. .

Try less walking and my spotting. I find a good area where I can sit and watch an area or two. You won't believe how many more bears you will see by sitting then walking
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Two pointers I can give you is look through your binos so long it hurts and then look a couple more hours. Bears are very sneaky animals. The second or maybe the first pointer is to do a burn. A buddy did one two weeks ago in a brand new area he had never been in and in 13 minutes he had a sow @ 9 yards wanting something good to eat. Had she not seen him draw back his longbow it would have been over. good luck

Default web learnig

Ok. Do I want up on a hill or on the flats? What is a good spot and what time of day is better? I have been told in the morning and some say in the evening.

Default help

Ok what is a burn? Sorry if it is a dumb question.

Burn would be a coffee can with honey in it and boiled over say a small backpack stove.
    You'd be suprised at the numbers of bear you can spot from the seward highway by just stopping and glassing the mountains. I counted 22 different blackies on one hillside one fall. Some are a ways up and some you will find low. Depends on how much work you want to put into it.
    I'm doing a baitstation this year for the first time and having a blast. Had lots of bears in on the bait. You might want to try that next year. Good luck!!

Default using scents

Just a note on doing burns: I'm pretty sure its considered baiting, and thus needs a baiting class, and a permit for your baiting (burning) spot. Whose to say that cooking a meal is or isn't baiting a bear, but I'm pretty sure sitting a stand over a can of charred jello or honey would be considered baiting, not just poor cooking.

They are effective! The best piece of advice, though, whether spot and stalk or sitting bait, is to be still. Let your eyes do the walking! Usually a lot easier to see more ground if you're glassing an opposing hillside, as opposed to a flats. If you've got a good feeding area, though, getting up out of the grass a little ways and glassing it can be very good, too.

Good luck!

Default Sneaky, shy

Acronym, if you like 'em. SSH! bears are Sneaky, and they are shy, so SSSSHHHHH!!! Limit your motion, your noise, and your presence. Blend into your surroundings, especially with the noise you make, both aurally and olfactorily (scent and sound). Though you read of many successful hunts, you often don't read about the countless hours with no success, the blown stalks, the cold nights, the many trips to a spot hauling bait. It sometimes falls right into place, often it doesn't. Keep persisting!

Default Burn/Bait

Do you bow hunt... been through the class? Try Eklutna.
    Your tag indicates you are from Eagle River.
    You also indicated you are hunting in units 14 and 7.
    You need the bear bait permit to use baits (scents are considered baits in those areas)... however, bait season is closed.

Best bet... drive down the Seward Highway. Find a 'nice' looking hill. Park the car. Glass the hill for a bit. You might see something, or at least something that gives you hope. Go for a hike. Find a high spot, sit... glass. When you think you've sat plenty long, sit for that long again. Now, when you think it's time to go... hang on for another hour.

Seriously, spot and stalk on a bear is tough. They are very wise to us... smart. Good hearing, great sense of smell... and the eyesight isn't terrible. Put all that together - means you shouldn't be moving.

Honey burn --

Good luck!

Seward hwy is probably good advice. My buddy saw one just south of the pass yesterday from the road.

Default help

No I do not bait at this time. I missed the class. I will get up and sit for a spell. I have a great scope. I was wondering if I was walking around to much. I was told last night in chat that a good place is off the power line trail on turnagain. Does anyone know about it? I was going to camp around there some where. Thanks for all the help. Leaving tonight for that area. I have a bow but not good with it yet. No one to tech me now. So off I go after work. Will let you know how it goes.

Look for an area that holds a good food source. Look for bright green vegetation and skunk cabbage. Then setup in a good ambush spot + or – 100 yards away, preferably an area with some elevation where you have exceptional visibility. Don’t sit behind trees or brush, sit down in front of them and make sure it breaks up your profile/outline. Try and have your back to the sun. Most importantly stay down wind!
    Now that you found your ambush spot get your rifle all ready put it up on shooting sticks or some sort of rest, also make sure it is loaded (Keep the safety ON until your ready to shoot!). Then wait – get good and comfortable while maintaining your visibility. This way you can sit for hours and limit your movement. Now sit and watch. Try not to stair at any one particular thing just take it all in, when you see movement then focus in.

You could also employ a distress call; I hear that doe or fawn distress calls work well.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast