Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 106

Thread: Sheep Shape! GO GO GO!!

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Thumbs up Sheep Shape! GO GO GO!!

    Here we are once again! All you/us August sheep hunters should be in the middle of training! GO GO GO! Hike, bike, squat, run, sweat, huff and puff get tuff!! It won't be long now! Just think of that big ram up there, "...only another 1500 ft. of elevation to go!...) Push yourself!

    ahhhh.... I can smell the testosterone and lactic acid from here
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    So.....if I'm an October sheep hunter this year, does that mean I don't have to train until August?

  3. #3

    Default Ammo Prices

    The fitness level is coming along fine but the high price of ammo is making the annual 200 shots on the sheep rifle more expensive. I have only made it to the range two times since school ended and normally I go once per week. The construction on the Steese is making the trip an expedition in itself.

    Normally, I get to spend the entire summer in Chitina hiking, exploring and fishing but the high prices of everything has us cutting back. The Kid is playing football this year and that basically keeps us in town.
    I am having to spend more time shooting my Vanguard Varmit Special in 22/250 and it still hurts.

    The high prices of everything else including gas means that I can't take off and then go for three day "backcountry benders". I have to keep everything conservative this year.

    Sincerely,

    Thomas

  4. #4
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    I am in the middle of aquiring much of my gear. I am waiting for the new Sitka 90% jacket ot hit the racks. My Barneys pack is "under construction", My spotter is only 1/2 paid for at boonies and my tika is still unfunded (for now). I am on call at work for another 2 weeks which means no back country adventures... Thankfully I am knocking out some OT plus 3 weeks of call pay which should cover most of my gear costs.
    Lucky for me I am a Sept sheep hunter so you august folks that are running behind are in worse shape than me! Oh yeah and I am a mere 28y/o and only 35lbs over weight so it should come off with just 3-4 four day packing trips. (GTBY)
    I am wanting to get some people together to do Crows pass in July which would be a fun "sheep shape" shake down hike.

  5. #5
    Member jkb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    So.....if I'm an October sheep hunter this year, does that mean I don't have to train until August?
    I've got a great August training regime for you.

    Here goes you carry a 50 lb pack with all my gear to my favorite sheep spot. Walk back to the road and wait. Come back in a couple days to hopefully carry a 120 lb pack back to the road.

    If I have not had success please remember a Double 6 dollar burger each time you walk in to see if my pack is ready to be carried out yet.

    You should be in great shape by Sept. then we start moose training.......
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    LOL good one jkb!

    But, if I know anything about Brian, if there is any guy on the planet that would do it for you, it would be him.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  7. #7
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    I've got a great August training regime for you.

    Here goes you carry a 50 lb pack with all my gear to my favorite sheep spot. Walk back to the road and wait. Come back in a couple days to hopefully carry a 120 lb pack back to the road.

    If I have not had success please remember a Double 6 dollar burger each time you walk in to see if my pack is ready to be carried out yet.

    You should be in great shape by Sept. then we start moose training.......
    Brian,

    I can't see someone passing up such a good deal as this. You better jump on it!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    372

    Default Sheep shape

    I've been climbing up Mile High pass at least once a week with 30lbs or so. I'm still getting gear together, as well. Need a water filter and a good spotter. I've been seeing a few big rams on Bold Peak, but can't make them out very well with my binocs. I'll hike further into the East Fork of the Eklutna next week for more serious reconoitering.

  9. #9
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    I've been seeing a few big rams on Bold Peak, but can't make them out very well with my binocs. I'll hike further into the East Fork of the Eklutna next week for more serious reconoitering.
    That is good news for me!! Now if you can leave them alone untill Sept 3rd then push them on over into the Hunter creek drainage I would appreciate it! If you follow them I will even let you help me carry one back out

  10. #10
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    I've got a great August training regime for you.

    Here goes you carry a 50 lb pack with all my gear to my favorite sheep spot. Walk back to the road and wait. Come back in a couple days to hopefully carry a 120 lb pack back to the road.
    You know, if I didn't have to be back at work on August 14th this year, I would do that in a heartbeat. Seriously. Keep me in mind in future years.

  11. #11
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Perry, You need someone to train with. I'm looking for someone to climb Birch hill with????

    Steve

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Steve,
    That's where I train. I start by Door of Hope Church, hike straight up Russell's Revenge to the towers and then drop down the back side towards FWW to the bottom of Birch Hill and turn around and go back, there is a good atv trail in the woods that drops down fairly steep. Shoot me a pm. I will be headed up either tomorrow or Thursday at about 4:30 or 5. It's about an hour or a little more hike if you hump it hard and depending on how much weight you are packing.

    Anyone else around here want to join us? AlaskaCub, AKRiverRat?

    Perry
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  13. #13

    Default Been biking...

    and will continue to until Aug. Going in to help a friend get his first sheep and possibly a friends wife her first sheep. SHould be a fun trip. I haven't been a packer in a long time! Will continue my sheep hunt in late August with my DCUA permit. Got the gear now and am ready to go.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Steve,
    That's where I train. I start by Door of Hope Church, hike straight up Russell's Revenge to the towers and then drop down the back side towards FWW to the bottom of Birch Hill and turn around and go back, there is a good atv trail in the woods that drops down fairly steep. Shoot me a pm. I will be headed up either tomorrow or Thursday at about 4:30 or 5. It's about an hour or a little more hike if you hump it hard and depending on how much weight you are packing.

    Anyone else around here want to join us? AlaskaCub, AKRiverRat?

    Perry
    Man I really need to do that with you guys, but I have to work tomorrow and Thursday, and then I leave for the Klutina Friday Morning with momma and the boy for 3 days to fill the freezer with mommas favorite chow!...grin. I know I need to be doing this more as I really felt the old body talking back to me when I hiked about 3 miles up a dainage in the Brooks last month with a 60lb pack or so, it no felt so good! Next week Perry we need to set up a day to make a date of it. It always amazes me how busy a guy gets when summer hits, between projects around the house, the kids sports every single night of the week and bea baiting rolls right ino fishing season. Darn it, too much to do in this place!...grin

  15. #15
    Member Jason in Anchorage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    back from Afghanistan!
    Posts
    287

    Default Training

    Uncle Sam moved me from Anchorage to Colorado last year. Trng at elevation and less oxygen really seemed to help me last year. Sux working out here but when I get to AK I recover VERY fast don't seem to get "winded" - that doesn't help the legs though...packing 100+ lbs hurts regardless! I cannot wait for this years hunt...Aug cannot get here soon enough!
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

  16. #16

    Default Sheep training

    Dang, Aug. 10 is sneaking up fast. I'm closing in on 500 miles on the bike so far this summer commuting to work. Try to do the stairs in the office with a 60 lb pack on as well every few days. The bike riding does a great job. The motion of pushing down on the pedal is very similar to a climbing motion.

  17. #17
    Member moose-head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    @ Seminary, Dubuque Ia
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Geeeez you guys are making me tired and I am just reading the posts.

  18. #18
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    Dang, Aug. 10 is sneaking up fast. I'm closing in on 500 miles on the bike so far this summer commuting to work. Try to do the stairs in the office with a 60 lb pack on as well every few days. The bike riding does a great job. The motion of pushing down on the pedal is very similar to a climbing motion.

    Oh ya. Vigorous cycling is a great quad and cardio workout. Dang, your up to 60 already. I need to catch up! I'll be up to 50 this week.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  19. #19
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Give me a firm date and time and I will be there. I'm no goat like you but I will give it a go. I'm running out of reasons to not get in shape.

    Steve

  20. #20
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default Forum Training Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Give me a firm date and time and I will be there. I'm no goat like you but I will give it a go. I'm running out of reasons to not get in shape.

    Steve
    This Thursday the 19th between 4:45-5pm. Start hiking at 5 for an hour or so. Here's a map. Steese to Farmers Loop, take a right go up the hill to Door of Hope Church. Second driveway, the upper large building. We will hit the Birch Hill ski trails at the bottom of Russels Revenge, you can see the trail in the lower right corner of the map. I'll be driving a silver Toyota Matrix. Bring bug dope!

    Anyone who reads this is welcome to join us! I'm bringing my wife and my dog.

    Last edited by Snyd; 06-23-2008 at 20:22.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •