Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sow Killers

Default Sow Killers

This is not about "predator Management Areas". This about trophy bear hunting in places where people go purely for the bears. (You know where they are). Why do people feel it's OK to shoot female bears? Is it different than shooting ewes or nannies or cow moose? Do they not know how to tell the difference? (Please Learn) Certain areas of Alaska have world-class bear hunting. Lets try and keep it that way.

Thanks...

I wouldn't hunt them specifically but after a lot of time and money are spent, if the opprotunity presented it's self, I may have to go for it. I figure the meat should be the same or better, like a cow moose. Sometimes it's about more than rugs and antlers.

I would like to believe that its more about the meat that can be consumed, I know it is in our home. IF we kill nothing but boars, bulls and Rams don't you think there would be some sort of management problem down the road? Sure, I look forward to that nice bull, but when it comes down to it, its that Delta cow that fed us for the year when I couldn't find the bull to fill the freezer. It has nothing to do with my education or if I can tell the difference between the sexes, So for you to come on here and ramble on about education I think you need to spend a few more years in Alaska.

For Grizzlies, sometimes the sows are the better trophy if you are hunting for a hide. The peroxide blondes with dark legs are almost always 3-4 year old females. They are hard to beat if you are looking for a beautiful rug IMO.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Im an equal opportunity lender and being one who just posted shooting a sow, meat in the freezer is meat in the freezer..If theres a season for it Ill shoot it...oh ya I shot a cow moose last october also off a drawing ...was I not supposed to...

GAJ,

I believe there is a huge difference between shooting for meat and shooting some trophy to make your clients happy. Most if not all the folks I know hunt for meat. Hide and horns are a bonus, but in your case your livelihood depends on those boars and bulls.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Boy bears

Quote Originally Posted by GAJ View Post
    Do they not know how to tell the difference? (Please Learn)

The boy bears pee standing up (and don't put the lid down)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by GITDEMBARS View Post
    The boy bears pee standing up (and don't put the lid down)
    Now that was funny!

Are we suppose to not shoot bears because they are female? If they do not have cubs then they are legal and if I saw a huge one that was alone I would have no problem putting her down.

Default Big bear=dead bear

It really doesn't matter if it is a sow or boar. I try not to shoot sows on my bait stands, just for the reason of them getting ready to breed and attracting boars, but if one gets shot, so be it. I guess there are some of us that just aren't too picky.

Default +1 45

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Are we suppose to not shoot bears because they are female? If they do not have cubs then they are legal and if I saw a huge one that was alone I would have no problem putting her down.
    True, John.

If we are to see real and effective predator control, the brood stock should be included, maybe even prioritized.

Brown bears, from a "trophy" stand point, are unique in that they are probably the only species where age and/or sex of the animal harvested have, in general, little bearing on whether it is considered a "trophy". Too bad.
    Very few are salvaged for meat, at least according to sealing records.
    Joe (Ak)

Quote Originally Posted by GAJ View Post
    This is not about "predator Management Areas". This about trophy bear hunting in places where people go purely for the bears. (You know where they are). Why do people feel it's OK to shoot female bears? Is it different than shooting ewes or nannies or cow moose? Do they not know how to tell the difference? (Please Learn) Certain areas of Alaska have world-class bear hunting. Lets try and keep it that way.

Thanks...

Smile Amen

Quote Originally Posted by AKHuntTrap View Post
    I would like to believe that its more about the meat that can be consumed, I know it is in our home. IF we kill nothing but boars, bulls and Rams don't you think there would be some sort of management problem down the road? Sure, I look forward to that nice bull, but when it comes down to it, its that Delta cow that fed us for the year when I couldn't find the bull to fill the freezer. It has nothing to do with my education or if I can tell the difference between the sexes, So for you to come on here and ramble on about education I think you need to spend a few more years in Alaska.
    AMEN. And you know that leaves one more trophy boar for you GAJ.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

IMO, I think this person posted this just to be a "pot stirrer".

Well so far it's been pretty civil.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post

I agree with that...

Talking sows

I don't care if its a sow or boar...I am a poor bear judge and cannot tell the difference. If the bear is a legal one and I want to shoot it...it gets the lead. Fish and Game can determine if shooting sows is legal, good, etc...I have shot 2 interior sow grizzlies and both have great coloration. Last years sow was an interior AK Range bear shot in Sep and she is the prettiest bear I have shot--she has the blonde body with the dark legs...believe some refer to it as Toklat. Sow, boars, blah, blah, blah--moose don't care!
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post

It's a sad day when its a GUIDE thats stirring the pot, I learn more and more from this forum, who NOT to use as a bear guide
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Just curious here . . .

Does ADF&G publish stats by GMU regarding the number of each sex taken?

Default "Pot Stirring"

Not certain how much "pot stirring" is going on. However, it was not that long ago that the "department" treated "sows" as a very important segment of the bear population and became quite concerned when the percentage harvested exceeded about forty percent.
    Concern about the percentage of sows in the harvest contributed in no small part to the implementation of the alternating seasons on the Peninsula; the "minimums" on Kodiak (no longer in effect) and the "point system" used in BC for establishing their point system for the harvesting of grizzlies on guided hunts.
    Joe (Ak)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast