Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling your catch?

Default Selling your catch?

If a non-resident goes on a charter and catches halibut and salmon but is not interested in shipping them home, is it permissible or possible to sell the catch?

Default Well

No! Hook and release.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Or donate it to me, since I can't seem to catch anything yet this year...

I would hope it would not be allowed!!

Thumbs down sport caught fish

is illeagle to sell regardless if you are a resident or non-resident.

Please just turn the fish loose if you're not interested in eating it. A released fish can create more fish in the future.

Leave only footprints, take only pictures
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default It's no permissible...

but it's possible, sad to say, when I lived in Seward, there were a many fishermen trying to sell me shrimp, crabs, fish, etc...

how much for the shrimp????
    Semper Fi!

I will be up in July 2009 and i have decided to not keep any lingcod or big female halibut. I also hope i dont catch and yellow eyes. there are plenty of other fish to eat that are far more plentiful. I dont need to keep a 100lb halibut so i look cool in a picture. I would rather she lay her eggs and i will pick on her kids and grand kids. Snap a pic while i am getting her to the boat to take the hook out and let her go so our kids have butts to fish. I also decided not to chase Kings. there are just so many and thats it.

Sport caught fish cannot be sold, right? I would let the guide know, you dont want to keep the fish you catch, before you even start fishing!

They can't be sold. Not for dinner, not for anything. However, I do think it is ok to give them away, or plant them in your garden after they have freezer burn to the core. But, seriously, they are not to be sold as commerce.

Default They were asking $5/lb

for the shrimp in Seward, but this was back in '93...

Default FYI,

If you are staying at a lodge, they can cook your fish and serve it to you and your family/friends.
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

Bring the halibut home! The fish and game gave us the song and dance that rockfish/yelloweye/lingcod were in trouble and cut our limits way down, and then they opened it up for commercial fishing winter and the longliners filled their holds with them.

I'm surprised it's illegal actually. I used to sell mahi mahi and tuna at the fishermans co-op after a charter in Guam. I could usually make up most if not all the cost of the charter and still take fish home. Well, what's right in one place isn't always right somewhere else.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Of course it is illegal. The whole industry depends on a set price. Recreational guys would always undersell them (that is called competition and something they don't like) and that just wouldn't be fair. Also, I do think that it could have a great impact (although in actuality it would likely turn out to be nearly none, but I could be surprised), on the health of he fish stocks as now more people would likely be keeping fish not just for their use, but to sell.
    What has happened to the yelloweye, ling, and rock fish in close-in fisheries is a shame.

There is a current ad on Craigslist for a fresh caught King @ $4.95 per lb !!!
    I was wondering when I read it, "Is that legal?"
    NRA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by fishnngrinn View Post
    There is a current ad on Craigslist for a fresh caught King @ $4.95 per lb !!!
    I was wondering when I read it, "Is that legal?"
    Could be. Or, it could be a commercial guy going the short way around to the consumer. Sounds like too good a price.

Default Giving fish away

If you intend on giving your fresh, sports caught fish to someone else, you will need to fill out a Transfer Of Possession Form. The form can be found on the back of the regulation summary booklet you get when you buy your license.

I would guess that the form isn't always filled out when giving fish away, but that's the regulation. It also DOESN'T apply to fish that has been frozen, canned or smoked, just fresh fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast