Thread: Dipnetters fell in Copper.

Default Dipnetters fell in Copper.

Anybody on here one of the three dipnetters who fell in the Copper by the bridge and were rescued on Saturday. Lucky you

Didn't hear about them and I didn't see them either, we were in the canyon most of the day except around noon for lunch and 6pm when we pulled out. I did see a white ford truck stuck like a pig on the Chitina side of the bridge. I'd hate to fall into the water in the canyon, that's bad news.

Do you have the details?

I didn't personally see it, however a guy I work with witnessed it. They fell in b/c the boat they were in capsized and sunk to the bottom of the Copper. Everyone was waving for another boat to save them, which happened after a bit.

Sapper 2-6

I chartered today, Monday, with Capt' Kim(the guy who takes you out and you fish from the boat) and he told the same story. Three big guys, and one little boat. They managed to get to a sand bar but the boats at the bottom full of silt or on the way to Cordova.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

I heard about it from a guy who was the only passenger on a helicopter that was closest to the area. They were diverted to the scene to see about a rescue. This guy told me as they headed to the area all he's thinking is " there's no way I'm going out the door, hang on the strut of this chopper with no safety harness, hovering over the Copper River, and try to pluck some heavy, wet, froze up people out.
    Good thing a boat rescued them cause the guy in the nonrescue setup chopper only planned on waving at them

Default i was there...

We had just finished cleaning another batch of fish when one of three was brought to shore...he was very wet, disoriented/hypothermic.... Hats off to Shallow Extreme owner who rescued him and to ADFG staff (Mark Sommerville and cohort) who took over at shore. Copper River dipping from boat is not for beginners!

Default capsized boat

Saturday after noon i was near Haley creek and we saw a upside down boat float by. one of the drifters chased it down and pulled it ashore but they said they couldnt flip it over

Default We saw it too,

We were running down to the canyon when we saw the boat across from O'brien Creek, and we tried to push it onto the sand bar over there. The wind was too strong to navigate, and the boat was too heavy for us to push or pull. Last we saw it, it was heading into the canyon bow high and stern low (I presume a motor was hanging on down there.) We did get our limit and we stayed dry and warm.

Exclamation Amazingly Lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 2-6 View Post
    I didn't personally see it, however a guy I work with witnessed it. They fell in b/c the boat they were in capsized and sunk to the bottom of the Copper. Everyone was waving for another boat to save them, which happened after a bit.

Sapper 2-6
    I was fortunate enough to meet a great man last year while dipping on the Copper... his name is Tony.

He sent me an email this morning telling me about the men going in... Here is a little from his email...

We watched three grown men (without life preservers on) drive their boat smack into the upper whirlpool throttle off. The current stopped the boat dead center, spun the stern port to shore, lifted the bow up on the upwelling ridge, and sucked that boat stern straight down.

The men jumped out as the boat began to flip, and one of them threw out his seat cushion. Within 20 seconds all three of them were out of sight. The most pathetic sound I've ever heard was when one of the men started to cry out for help.

He also mentioned that one of them flung his seat cushion into the water... as they were riding back on the rescue boat, the one man raised his seat cushion and raised his hands above his head as if he was thanking God.

Tony was the gentlemen that fired off his flares hoping to draw attention to his area... he mentioned that slowly someone came from up river to see if there was an emergency.

God was watching over those men that day...
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher