Thread: rumors ...little su and deshka

Default rumors ...little su and deshka

just got a call from a friend saying he heard they were shutting them down during the week. only weekend fishing. i checked fish and game and they dont have anything posted. anybody else heard that?

Default That would be sweet...

but only if you were a rafter and not a fisherman.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Adf&g

I called the Palmer office and here is what they said. The weir counts are up today and yesterday and they will be watching the counts for a couple of more days before taking action on the Deshka.
    The Little Su is a bit more difficult, they are watching the reports at the booth and keeping their eyes on the count. It did not sound like the catch was very far from the average and he was more positive about the Little Su not changing to a limited fishery.
    I asked for any theories to the late runs and he said from the Chignik, Kenai, Yentna, Deshka, Little Su to Eklutna they are all late but the Deshka has never been 9 days late and they are concerned.
    I will call back in two days and see if they are considering action.

Greg

Nice Report, Thanx Ill Pass It On

Quote Originally Posted by akgiauque View Post
    Chignik, Kenai, Yentna, Deshka, Little Su to Eklutna they are all late but the Deshka has never been 9 days late and they are concerned.

If you look carefully at this graph of historic average returns and the current return you can draw one of three conclusions.

1) We are at peak and this is a VERY weak run.

2) The run is just getting started, albeit 10 days late. The 6/15 count is where we should have been on 6/5 when things historically begin to ramp up.

3) The run is both weak AND late... but NOT 10 days late!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

If you look carefully at this graph of historic average returns and the current return you can draw one of three conclusions.

1) We are at peak and this is a VERY weak run.

2) The run is just getting started, albeit 10 days late. The 6/15 count is where we should have been on 6/5 when things historically begin to ramp up.

3) The run is both weak AND late... but NOT 10 days late!
    Without a doubt, this is good stuff. But, historically what have the runs been like with a spring as cold (and it has been cold) as this one? Now, that would be comparing apples to apples. Heck there are still Hooligan in good numbers in 20 mile. And, we all know that it is WAY late for that.

Default Late

I would agree with the doc that the historical averages make this look like a weak run or a Late weak run. I hope we are wrong. Low water temps, cold spring, low water levels, Hooligan, Low Kaligan Island set net takes... lots of possible factors including an infinite number of variables that we are not considering or do not know about. I would rather give up some fishing time this year than damage the resource and have closures for several years.

But with that aside I was posting what the biologist told me on the phone this afternoon in response to the rumor mill. I feel very empathetic for the poor guys that have to make the final call in closing the rivers down, they will take some heat either way and if they are wrong by three days there are a few guys that will be calling for their jobs. I think it is easy for us to post opinions and possibilities and if we are wrong say oops.

Quote Originally Posted by akgiauque View Post
    I would agree with the doc that the historical averages make this look like a weak run or a Late weak run. I hope we are wrong. Low water temps, cold spring, low water levels, Hooligan, Low Kaligan Island set net takes... lots of possible factors including an infinite number of variables that we are not considering or do not know about. I would rather give up some fishing time this year than damage the resource and have closures for several years.

But with that aside I was posting what the biologist told me on the phone this afternoon in response to the rumor mill. I feel very empathetic for the poor guys that have to make the final call in closing the rivers down, they will take some heat either way and if they are wrong by three days there are a few guys that will be calling for their jobs. I think it is easy for us to post opinions and possibilities and if we are wrong say oops.
    Truly, all of what you say is entirely possible. However, it is also possible that we have a good deal of kings swimming around with pinks, chums, and silvers when things finally do warm up. But, without a doubt, there are indicators that do not look good this year for kings - especially out in the valley.

Default Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Truly, all of what you say is entirely possible. However, it is also possible that we have a good deal of kings swimming around with pinks, chums, and silvers when things finally do warm up. But, without a doubt, there are indicators that do not look good this year for kings - especially out in the valley.
    The only way to know for sure is wait.
    A side note is that today on the Little Su I saw a moldy dead Chum floating in a eddy. I was thinking it may have been a very late run fish that was well preserved in the ice last year. Anyone ever see something like this in Mid June?

Never seen completely in tact fish, usually just skeletons with skin remains down on the Kenai.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    However, it is also possible that we have a good deal of kings swimming around with pinks, chums, and silvers when things finally do warm up.
    Fish soup, I like it. I truely hope thats it. ran into a guide friend at the store tonight, he said it was a great catching day for all of em today. while i was at work of coarse.

Default It Ain't Rocket Science....

Only 197 fish swam past the weir yesterday.

The EO should have been declared a few days ago! Shut 'er down!

On another note, I see that EO's have come down hard on Kodiak.

Sockeye on the Karluk down to just C&R... Buskin closed altogether for the rest of the season. Kings on the Ayakulik are down to just C&R .
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Doc, I have to agree pull the plug on the Deshka and the Little Su. I'd rather take some pain now and have fish years from now. I think there will be a few to follow like Willow, Sheep, Montana etc... It would be for the best.

Default So

I don't know a whole lot about alaska fish - but there just might be some correlation between the set nets that went in on Monday for 12 hours and the low counts for today - quite the coincedence I think.

If I am wrong and the nets don't catch any fish that move through the deska weir please ejudamacate me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I don't know a whole lot about alaska fish - but there just might be some correlation between the set nets that went in on Monday for 12 hours and the low counts for today - quite the coincedence I think.

If I am wrong and the nets don't catch any fish that move through the deska weir please ejudamacate me.
    No it is not a coincidence. However, the impact has been argued until its death and them a little more just for good measure. Truth is, the science leaves a lot for interpretation - especially in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Only 197 fish swam past the weir yesterday.

The EO should have been declared a few days ago! Shut 'er down!

On another note, I see that EO's have come down hard on Kodiak.

Sockeye on the Karluk down to just C&R... Buskin closed altogether for the rest of the season. Kings on the Ayakulik are down to just C&R .
    158 yesterday (18th) I agree it is time for an EO! Reopen it if they suddenly hit in mass but 2009 fish through the weir total.

Exclamation Deshka shutdown likely this weekend (ADN)

"It's a tough deal,'' said area management biologist Dave Rutz of Palmer. "It's a tough call to do this on a Friday.''

The thinking, however, is that they need to save every fish. Fewer than 200 kings passed the Deshka weir Wednesday. Biologists were hoping for hundreds more to continue a build what seemed to be a building run days ago.

It looks instead like the run built to a small peak and then began to slide downhill.

The run does appear to be late, but the pattern of the return makes it look extremely weak. Plotted on a graph, the 2008 return looks like a perfect, mini-me version of a regular year.

The peaks and valleys in the return are in the right places, but they are tiny fractions of what they should be, and the overall return is way behind the goal.

Last year at this time, there were almost 8,000 kings through the weir, the year before almost 14,000.

The cumulative count 2008 stands at 2,009.

With fish returning in a trickle, biologists worry that even with a full closure of the fishery it is unlikely they will reach the goal of a minimum of 13,000 spawners in the river for the year.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public