Thread: New to shrimping

Smile New to shrimping

Ok have the pots, lead line and pot puller, and bait ready to go. Question about adding weight to the pots... How much weight is recommended/ any suggestions .. please be kind? Asked in the stores that sell the equipment, but can't seem to get an answer on this, Help! Thanks.

Default Some say

none, some say 3-4#, some say 4-7#, some say 7-10# some say more. I use around 7# and it works for me.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

The heavier the pot, the faster it sinks, the more accurately you can position your pot on the bottom. That being said, the most weight you can comfortably pull based on your hauler.

Anchordog, the idea behind the weight is so the pots stay put on the bottom, and are not moved by the currents. My pots weigh 4 # each. I was told by the builder to add 4 to 6 # per pot. I added 4#, which brings the total weight of each pot to 8 #. I have never had a problem with my pots being drug by the current. The only time I had an issue was when I dropped them in too deep of water, and they never hit bottom.

I would have to guess that a total weight of 6# or more would be sufficient.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

we put a halibut weight in each of ours and it seems to work fine.

Thanks to all for the advice. Anchordog