Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moose-eater bitin' the dust

Default moose-eater bitin' the dust

posted this in the photo thread a few days back, thought i'd drop the story.
    Saw this bear chasing a sow first night on the ridge, killed him the next day in the bottom of the valley, 1200 steep feet down. Client was gung-ho, hiked right to the bottom, into a 200 yard square with four grizzly in it and stood right there while we layed carnage to the valley floor and asked to carry the hide back up the valley wall!! no he didn't make it but danged if he didn't give it go, made my job alot easier, made my job alot more fun to have a client into more than just killin'. Between him and his cousin on the hunt ( who killed a six foot blackie) they would argue over who got to do the dishes!
    I share this story for all the non res headin' out or planning guided hunts. if you don't have a pair, go buy some and strap them on. Clients like these last guys made guiding what it should be,a riot, between the three of us i think this had to be the best hunting trip i've ever guided. The only reason he got a dead grizz was because he wanted it, worked for it, and enjoyed it, most clients woulda woosed out. Prep well, it may determine your outcome!
    9'2"x24+"skull
    120 yards, .300 win
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Got a picture of the cousin with the black, Jake?

Nice job! Is the color variation due to rubbing?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

ya he had buffalo hair on his back, underhair was amazing, first bear i've ever thought would look good as a standing mount, mount him leaning into a tree rubbin' would be awesome.
    here brian, you didn't believe me or something! lol
    Master guide 212

I shot one of those buffalo bears two springs ago. I will be mounting the head and paws, then roll him up on an old trapper nelson pack frame. I did another one like that a few years ago and it looked pretty cool.

One less moose eater, happy client, and happy guide. Life is good!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    here brian, you didn't believe me or something! lol
    Just enjoying living vicariously through others this spring while at home with my little one.

well then, wish you were here. just when your hunting area feels small.....
    Master guide 212

I'm envious, beauuuuuuuutiful country Jake!

ty, i love my office window!!
    Master guide 212

ty, i love my office window!!
    Sure a better view than from mine.

Nice bear, Jake.

You're having a heck of a year, nice work!

Chris

And the client on the right said "Hey, I'll carry your moose quarter too, as soon as I run over to that far ridge to see what's on the other side."

Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!

thanks Chris, spend enough time in the woods and its bound to turn out sooner or later. But i've gotta say these clients have been blessed this year....
    Master guide 212

Default Just my thoughts

Jake,

That is a great story, and very true, I think sometimes the customer only thinks that they have to pull the trigger, which I believe causes them to miss out on the comraderie of helping out!!

I remember when working for George Palmer (alaska trophy hunt), the camp we were in was called Red Paint. George brought out 2 moose hunters, they swore up and down that they were going to help pack their moose out--well they did, part of one trip and not all the way back to camp!! They shoot 2 bulls a day apart and not close to each other or camp, the funny thing is, i was 22 back then and packing those 2 out were much easier than the one I packed for myself 3years ago at age 38.

Hope to meet you when I come back in 09'

Wayne

Life is like that.

Some try to treat you like servant and others treat you like a valued friend.

Getting a good one every once in a while just helps us tolerate getting a bad one every once in a while.

Default guides

I can't even imagine a client not wanting to help. I have never been on a guided hunt but I would have thought it was somewhat expected to help carryout and really work hard for your game. I would think it would make a much more memorable hunt joining in with the guide and helping. I think some clients are probably just lazy and probably aren't your normal "hunter" but are just wanting to be a trigger-puller. I think if the client isn't willing to help out and go that extra mile he probably isn't putting in the full effort needed to accomplish their goal of getting the game they go after. Theres not a giant griz or moose behind every tree! Hard work pays off! just my opinion. My hat goes off to the guides.

some clients feel/act like its the guides job to find something for them to shoot at, i've had guys bring books out to the look outs while i glass...some guys really get into it, not all.
    somedays guiding is a hoot...other days its a pain.
    Master guide 212

Default nice

hunting partners with similar attitudes make for great trips and memories. I too shot a bear in 16b a few springs back that was entirely buffalo'd...I ended up tanning him and slinging the hide over my gun safe. Sounds fun...
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default Great story and great bear

To me that is part of the whole experience. I am sure there are allot of people that don't see it that way. At the lodge I hunt and fish out of I help do some of the work around the lodge also. I help clean and package the guest fish, haul propane tanks, stack fire wood, haul guest to and from the landing strip, etc. After a days fishing or the hunt is complete I just cant sit around and watch people work. On wife and I's bear hunt last September we didn't pay for a guided hunt but the owner decided we were going to get one. It was just Him, wife, and me on one of his halibut boats. We got our bears quick but we had a great time. We all three fished while waiting for the tide to go out and we all shared in the cooking and work. It made it fun for all of us. Wifes bear ran right up a cliff into some real thick stuff after she shot it. I cant believe it was able to do that. I went up and got it myself (tide was going out so he kept the boat afloat). It just wouldn't be as much fun to me.

Default Fine bear

That's a fine bear and apparently a fine client. Hope all your hunts go the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast