Thread: what caliber for bear

Default what caliber for bear

im thinking of going on a bear hunt with in the 2-3 years and whated to see what all of you use.i know i will go for blackies but if the fund are there i might be able to do a grizzly or maybe a brown bear hunt,i have a model 70 300mag but have a chance to get a model 70 375h&h.if my 300mag will work for any of theses bears i will use it,im good out to 300yrds with the 300mag,i would like to here your input good and bad.

thanks

.300's fine don't change just because, shoot good bullets and put them where they need to be and it'll be just as effective as the next gun. less of course you need a reason to buy a new gun, then the .300 won't work at all, might even endanger your life, better get a 375 minnimum.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default bear guns

Your .300win mag is very fine for black bears. Despite what some other may believe, in my experience, black bears die easy with a properly placed bullet of any reasonable caliber or any arrow that gets a lung or two.

In my experience, brown bears die hard, sometimes very hard. Thick skin, thick wet hair, thicker ribs, thick bodies, potentially huge animal filled with adrenaline with a heart that beats comparitively slow means I really, really like double lung and/or heart shots. Too many times I have gone into the bushes after a brown bear that had not lost enough blood to make them dead. Shoulder shots that miss the lungs, neck shots that miss the carotid arteries or jugular veins, and shots too far rearward that miss everthing vital equals a bad day in the bushes.

Not only do brown bears die hard, but the shooting conditions are often poor with strong wings, horizontal rain, a hunters pounding heart and a moving target. These factors often result in a poor hit, and it is just amazing how long a brown bear can remain alive, even after multiple bullet strikes, if his circulatory system is not opened up enough for his low-blood-pressure-light to come on.

Therefore, I prefer big guns and big bullets for big brown bears. A double lung shot or heart shot will result in a dead bear in 8 to 10 seconds. An improper hit will result in a non-dead bear (for many hours or days) and another trip into the bushes, which I hate doing.

Even with a big gun do not take long shots at a brown bears. And try not to take marginal shots. Too many bad things can happen with long, marginal shots, in conjunction with that wind and rain and that pounding heart of yours (ours).

Attempt to stalk up to within one hundred yards, but no more than two hundred yards. Be patient and wait for a broadside, double lung shot, if possible. Shoot that big bullet through both lungs and it will be a good death.

The 300 in alright or good for average griz, but I suggest bigger guns for bigger bears.

Last thought...bullet (or arrow) shot placement/penetration is everything!

Dennis
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service

I'd stick with the gun you shoot best for Blackies. That .300 will do fine. Now for Brownies, I'd do nothing less than a .375 or .338
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Good choice

With a good and stout 200 grain bullet your Mod. 70 .300 mag. is a good choice. The Mod. 70 .375 with a stout 270 or 300 grain bullet is a better choice for coastal brown bears. Besides, everyone should own a Mod. 70 in THREE SEVEN FIVE!

Ist two bears I used my .338 wm and on my Blackie I used my .300wsm,coincidentally thats the same calibre my hunting partner used.

I have killed everything you can in Idaho including black bear with a Model 70 .270. The 300 pounder I shot this spring took a 130 grain partition through both lungs, top of the heart and exited far side. In my opinion it doesn't get much better for Blackies.

PS...My custom .375 H&H with 260 accubonds will be on my shoulder for my coastal hunts.

Default Shot Placement is Key

More than caliber. I know of a guy that shot a brownie in the head with a .375 and it glanced off the bear's skull....only knocking it out. You are comfortable with the .300. Work up a nice load for it, and take your time with the right shot, and you should have no problems. Don't rush the shot....but you know this, right? Wait for your shot, and that 300 will work magic.....

Cool calibers for the job

shoot what is comfortable, but I would shoot atleast a 300 with a 200 grain well bonded bullet or better for the smallest caliber. The 338 is a good bear gun and my fravorit the 375 ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    More than caliber. I know of a guy that shot a brownie in the head with a .375 and it glanced off the bear's skull....only knocking it out..
    Did it wake up while taking trophy pictures

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    Did it wake up while taking trophy pictures
    No, but it did as the guy was standing over it getting ready to poke it with the barrel of the rifle....almost got mauled....

I had that happen with a rabbit we "killed" during survival training. Not quite as dangerous as a bear, but he woke up right before we gutted him and tried to run off. At that point in the training, that was scary enough because he was the first food we had in two days...

Nothing smaller than a 50BMG for blackies, for browns, swing by elmandorf and sign out a fighter with full payload.