Thread: Binocular Help / Recommendations

Default Binocular Help / Recommendations

Hi Everyone!!! I just started researching binoculars and I was wondering if I could get some advice / recommendations before I make my purchase. I'm looking for Small, Lightweight, Durable, Waterproof Binoculars to use for Wildlife Viewing while Backpacking. Funds are kinda tight, so I can only allow myself to spend $300 max.

This is a great site, with a lot of great info and advice. I'm so glad I found it.

Thanks for your Help,
    Steve

Default CameralandNY

After reading your post I assume that you want some pocket sized bino's. Most hunters seem to go for something in the 40mm objective size since they will likely spend hours looking through them trying to spot animals. If this is what you are planning on then the nikon monarch is likely the best for the $$ you are willing to spend. I did see a set of used Swarovski Binos on Craigslist for $600 yesterday which is a great prce for a set that retails for $1600. The benefit there is you can allways sell it for the same 600 you purchased it for.
    Here is a picture of the $300 Nikon Monarch 10x42 if this is what you have in mind click it to go to the Cameralandny page.

I am going to assume that you are not interested in something this big so here are the "pocket" bino's I would look at that Doug at camera land has on special in his most recent thread.

ZEISS
    522033 8x20 B T* Conquest $299.99
    522034 10x25 B T* Conquest $329.99

I am not sure if the zeiss are water proof but they are excellent glass. I have a set of Minox HG bino's that I love and I am considering putting down the $110 for a set of their Minox BV 10x25 BRW for my wife to use while we are back packing light. Ultimately I would call 855-9-optics and talk with doug you are not likely to find a better price anywhere for quality glass and he will point you in the right direction.

Default Pocket Bino's

Thanks for the info LuJon; I really appreciate it! I am leaning more towards the pocket sized Bino's. Does anyone have pocket sized Bino's that they really like? Recommendation's? I plan on giving Doug from CameraLand a call later this week after I do some more research. The Zeiss 10 x 25 Conquest seem like a pretty good choice. Does anyone have them? Do you like them?

Thanks again,
    Steve

anyone else have suggestions on a decent set of pocket binos.. I am actually looking at buying a set too.

Thanks
    Jeff

I bought 2 pairs of Zeiss Conquest 8x30 from Doug at Cameraland. They are light and have better color and definition in the deep shade than the pocket kind. They are also water proof. I am going to sell my Leitz 10x25.