Thread: What rod for Russian Reds?

Default What rod for Russian Reds?

What rod/reel/line combination would you recommend for reds on the Russian?

Default 7 wt Fly Rod

Use 30# Chameleon Line (about 7 feet) and two or three #2 Splitshot, place weights approximately 3 feet above your hook, cast to your 2 o'clock position, drift to your 10 o'clock position, rinse; repeat...
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I've got a 7 and 1/2 foot rod rated for 14-20 lbs and a Daiwa SS 1600 reel rated for 200 yds of 10 lb mono. If I load the reel with 160 yds of 12 lb mono and use a 25 lb leader is that too light? Only other rods I'll have will be a 9 ft rod rated for 20-25 lb line and a reel filled with 250 yds of 25 lb test or my 9 wgt flyrod. Which would be best?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStaten View Post
    What rod/reel/line combination would you recommend for reds on the Russian?
    How about using this
    http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?vid=...6-2cad92884f3a
    Thanks to PARKER

I would use your 9wt fly rod. Without question, you will do much better. I think the 7wt as suggested earlier is too light for the high, swift water in the Russian this year, not to mention the need to control the fish quickly in a populated situation like the Russian.

I use 10 wt fly rod with sinking line, Ross Gunnison reel.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Default Water Levels

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    I would use your 9wt fly rod. Without question, you will do much better. I think the 7wt as suggested earlier is too light for the high, swift water in the Russian this year, not to mention the need to control the fish quickly in a populated situation like the Russian.
    From opening day to yesterday, the water levels have dropped quite a bit; I suspect that they will continue to do so as long as there aren't any heavy rains. I like to do the light weight just for my own preference, but for a newbie or someone that likes to be a crane operator (just joking) a heavier duty rod is the more common choice.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Thumbs up I got lucky

I hit the water sunday morning with my 5 wtat 5:30 am I walked into the hole just above the sancturary on the russian with just 2 other people way up in the hole. The fish were stacked hard and heavy. Got my limit in about 20 minutes. Then again it was shortly after that the people came out of the trees, stormed the river and of course all the fish shot right back down the sancturary. I had a blast using the 5 wt though, kept them out of the main current and the rod performed great.

Spent the rest of the day catching some great bows and would have had great pictures if I had not decided to go swimming with my camera on saturday. Got it home and dried it out and all is fine but missed some nice fish pics. The wife had a great laugh though
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default russian reds

I use a 8'6" ugly stik lite rod in a medium action, shimano Symetre reel, and 25 pound test Pline(CXX) xtra stong. The rod has a sensitive tip to feel the bottom and fish. The reel is super smooth, not that you need it there, but the drag is good. And I am just trying the line new this year. It is awesome, I can't believe how strong it is. If I snag it up on the bottom I can barely break it.

alaskachuck,
    Good bumping into you on sunday afternoon when you were walking out at Grayling. You were right about the fishing, the reds were few and far between. Hooked 3 or 4 but only landed 1, they were hanging in the nastiest current around. I was glad I was using a 10 WT.

Quote Originally Posted by cmo1977 View Post
    alaskachuck,
    Good bumping into you on sunday afternoon when you were walking out at Grayling. You were right about the fishing, the reds were few and far between. Hooked 3 or 4 but only landed 1, they were hanging in the nastiest current around. I was glad I was using a 10 WT.

It was a pleasure running into you also. I got my reds so early as i was saying, When you saw me the wife and I had been catching bows for a few hours. Glad to hear you got into a few though.

Nothing smaller then a 8wt. if you haven't fished there before. 44 foot leader,
    I prefer floating line.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Nothing smaller then a 8wt. if you haven't fished there before. 44 foot leader,
    I prefer floating line.
    I agree totally. As i said, I had 30 feet to my left and right and not a big current in front of me. I got lucky and enjoyed it. I usually use my 8wt. This time, O dark thirty in the morning, tons of fishes no people. My time to enjoy. When the getting is good enjoy it. I see it as my tip for surviving another winter in the land i love. I only use 25lb leader and 8 feet of it. Just wondering. 44 feet seems a bit extreme. Floating line is a must

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Just wondering. 44 feet seems a bit extreme. Floating line is a must
    And a bear to turn over!!