Thread: Minto Report...

Default Minto Report...

Hey guys just wondering if any of yall have made it out to minto here recently? Some of my buddies and I were looking to do a trip either this weekend or next and was looking for some advice as far as flies...tackle...etc

thanks in advance for any information

Richie

Hey Richie,

I did it last summer and it was a good time. For fly fishing use one of those gray mouse flies. The large pike destroyed that. I used the Banjo Minnow to catch alot of my pike on. Its basically a suspended soft plastic jerk bait. Also used Mepps inline spinners. Basically anything thrown in got hammered. We did the trail off of Murphy dome rd to get to minto. It was a rough ride but fun. Good luck.

Sapper 2-6

Default Minto Update

Got back Friday night after a couple days down in Minto. Went off Murphy Dome. Rough! Last 200 yds is DEEP mud. Fish and Game was in there thick and had used 4x4 trucks chained up all around to get in. They had gouged out the ruts and your truck/trailer will high center and you'll have to winch through.
    Fishing was slow. 2 fish limit in effect by emergency order. We caught fish that looked like cookie cutter fish 28-32" length. Used rubber pike minnow jigs and #5 Mepps spinners. Different colors depending on light levels, raining, clear, etc. Just experiment.
    Considering the road, the damage to two trailers winching through the muck.... I'll put in at Manley and run upstream to the mouth of Tolovana and fish my way into Minto. Easier on equipment, decent road to Manley right up to the river, nice run up the river, and IF you break down you can drift/row back down to Manley. My $.02 worth.

thanks guys...I appreciate the reports

Richie

Tealer, what kind of truck were you driving, did you tow your boat in? Was the boat the only thing getting high centered? We were planning on going in 25 June but after reading your report we are having second thoughts. We dont have a winch, but would a couple come alongs do any good, any other suggestions? We will be towing a 18 foat alumacraft.

Just got back last night from a four day trip. We launched from Minto village and camp out in the flats. Fishing was slower this year (maybe 40-60 fish a day with 3 people fishing), but much bigger fish on average. Our average size was 30-32 inches. The fish fought like demons and often went airborne. We had a 38 incher jump into the boat. Landed in my OPEN tackle box (huge mess) and tangled up three rods. Good fun all around. We caught 1 Shee fish and had 2 other ones on, but lost them. We had to cycle through a ton of baits until we started to catch fish regularly. The old stand byes did not live up this trip. Color really seemed to matter. We caught 95% of our fish on three baits: Silver minnow spoon with Gulp fish trailer, white Bass pro-shop stick bait with rattles (4 in), and sliver and black Bass pro-shop stick bait with rattles (3 in). Nothing else really worked. We went through 20-30 other types of baits (all different sizes/color rappalas (4-6 fish), soft swim baits (0 fish), other spoons (2 fish), worms (2 fish), frog (3 fish), spinners (0 fish), various top water plugs (2 fish), rattle trap (1 fish), and a couple of fish on other stuff). I have fished Minto around 6-8 other times and this time we had to work the hardest for fish, but the fight and size average was off the charts. Hope this helps and be ready to cycle through a lot of baits and retrievals at each hole before you give up and move. Oh, trolling did not work very well. We caught only 3-4 fish while trolling and that was with the above listed “hot baits.”

Default Truck

I didn't use a truck since I know that bottom area of Murphy Dome too well. We parked at the top and hooked our boats onto two Kawasaki Big Brutes. (we took 4 machines total) The ride in was nice on a machine and it made moving the boat trailers around road hazards much easier. The last 200 yds was a mud bog. Every monster mudder cool guy truck just digs it out worse. We tried to straddle the ruts with the Brutes but the trailers would get sucked into the 2 ft deep ruts. Fenders, lights etc damaged on the trailers. If you go into it easy, extend the winch line and pull/drive through dragging the trailer behind it will work. If you have a truck use a winch and be prepared. Wear your waders. A truck will have to have good ground clearance. The Fish and Game folks in there had an F-350 chained up all the way round and chewed his way through. Considering the amount of rain the last couple days.... I don't think the next guy will be so lucky.

Default just got back this weekend

My wife and I and another couple just went down to minto flats this weekend. We went in down murphy dome road and had no problems with the mud or road. There was one big hole at the end but it was dry all weekend so the bottom was pretty hard. Fishing was really slow only caught 17 fish between the four of us. size average was well below the 30" mark. We talked to a couple of guys who had said that it had been completely over fished this winter. Hopefully thats not true, but things don't look too good right now. Just my two cent

Default Thanks

I'm glad to hear the bottom area dried out. When we went down that last 200 yds or so was wet.
    The emergency order restricting the area to two fish noted they had caught about 1200 fish in that area during the winter and that fascilitated the EO to restrict the limit. Fish and Game was out in the flats with their nets getting numbers on the pike.
    I hope the numbers are in good shape. I'd hate to see such a fun place over fished.

Default bad news

My wife works at sportsmans warehouse in fairbanks. She talked to brian from fish and game and I guess they saw extremely low numbers down at minto. I'll probably go down one more time later in July and see if things turned around.