Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloves for Hunting

Question Gloves for Hunting

Wondering what folks recommend for gloves for hunting (everything from sheep, goat, to brown bear hunts). Any favorite name brands/type?

I always bring a few pairs of the polypro-type glove liners to keep my hands warm since I cannot stand to wear bulky insulated gloves.
    When it is chilly out these liners usually are more than warm enough--they also provide some grip and minimal protection, even when wet. I bring multiple pairs in case I rip them or need to leave them dry out for a day.

Over them I usually wear a linerless leather glove that I pick up at a sporting goods store.

I then beat the heck out of the leather glove for one season and throw them out at the end because they are either ripped up by alders and berry bushes or shrunken, hardened, and dirty from drying out after a hunt.

Wondering if there is a specific brand name/type that would survive more than one hunting season.

I pretty much do the same. I do however buy the pigskin leather. I like it better when it's wet and how it is still soft after it drys.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Gloves

Air Force Issue Nomex flight gloves...great for shooting or even bowhunting.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Air Force Issue Nomex flight gloves...great for shooting or even bowhunting.
    Very true for most hunting. I'm always wearing mine out there. However when the get wet they don't keep anything warm so I also take other gloves, as the previous two mentioned.

I fell in love with Arctic Shield gloves+ mitts that I got from Sportsmans Warehouse. They come with mechanics type glove and then the mittens have a slotted thumb and fingers with manets to hold them back.
    I hate straight mittens (warm but have to take off to use fingers) or the the ones that have sewn in fingerless gloves (pain to get off and then back on)
    I use silk liners, mechanics, or wool gloves with these mitts. If my fingers start getting cold I just close the mitts up and the shield in the gloves work their magic.

I like these. thin, warm, dry fast. they have grip material on the palm

http://www.danalco.com/Hanz.shtml

Smile Gloves

Isn't this an age old problem! I don't know if I will ever figure out the solution to this dilemma. I don't care for big bulky gloves either. I would rather have cold hands and have. I think I have narrowed it down a bit for me anyway. I started using the green extra padded palm Mechanix gloves and at times lined with surgical gloves. Sometimes just the Mechanix gloves by themselves. They are the same basic glove as the Sitka gear glove but a lot cheaper. When they get wet I sleep with them in my bag and they are dry by morning. They are suprisingly warm, even when wet, and have great dexterity. I find myself just wearing surgical gloves at times when it is real wet. The brand my wife gets from work are fairly tough although they will tear with heavy abrasion. They are light enough that I usually have plenty of pairs. I also use them for field care of my animals. They keep my hands suprisingly warm by themselves. I am not sure how. I guess it is because they block all the wind. I know this isn't the solution for everybody but it is what is working the best for me right now.

Yep always trying to find the best of both world between keeping my hands dry, warm, and not sweat and allow the gloves to get wet from the inside out.

Lately I have really liked the chilly grip gloves. They are rubber palmed and fingered but the backhand is knit so it can breath a little but yoru fingers and hands don't get wet when you grab on the wet alders, grass, or rocks. Plus ya turn them inside out and they try decently fast in a synthetic sleeping bag overnight with ya.

However recent I just picked up a set of OR Endevaor mitts. These are goretex and supposed to be bombproof, we'll see about that though. Depending on temps and what no I plan to wear them just by themselves when its warm and wet out and when its cold and wet get a pair of nice fleeces glovs to wear inside them. We'll see how this setup works this year.

Just some options to consider.

I generally take two styles of gloves and a pair of mittens; a couple pair of Filson wool gloves which I wear most all of the time, a pair of neoprene gloves for really wet conditions, and a pair of Sleeping Indian wool mittens with the Filson gloves as liners for really cold conditions. I've been pleased with the Filson wool gloves as they seem to retain warmth even when they're somewhat wet, I have pretty good feel for shooting and doing tasks while wearing them, but they're not sufficient for thick thorny brush conditions.

WhiteFish

Pretty tough to beat Wool.. wet or dry,they wont last a year but they're plenty tuff and last quite awhile.. plus they perform well even with holes in em..
    You can have a couple extra pair in your pack and never feel the weight..
    I buy em by the dozen for around 20$..

I have never used a wool glove/mitten that was anything but worthless. but that is my mileage, yours may vary.

Mostly it depends on the temperature I will be hunting in. Real cold, I wear the poly liners inside my Northern Outfitters mittens. Sling the mitten off and ready to go with the liner. Can't have bare flesh at cold temps, otherwise the finger'll freeze to the trigger = oowwwwiiiee.

In the wet I use a synthetic leather palmed Gore-Tex glove.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

It depends how cold and what kind of hunt. Backpack sheep hunt in August or early September, I wear a fallers glove. They are synthetic, remarkably warm and hold no water. I figure they are going to get wet anyway. I do a little timberfalling so I have lots around. They are white if that makes any difference to you and should be washed once or so before use or twigs etc. tend to stick to them, resulting in a ghillie effect. Not handy. I use them for later season hunts as a liner. Driving the boat in later season I use an army surplus kind of mitts that are long and have a synthetic liner. These are really warm and quick to throw off if required. The fallers gloves fit well inside. I get the gloves from Bailey's logging supply, they have a website.

Default Pretty good prices at the Bailey's website...

ytlogger: Found the "Timber Faller Gloves" for 95cents a pair or $8.95/dozen - under "Knit Work Gloves", then click "View All" at: http://www.baileysonline.com/category.asp?catid=1061. They're synthetic (polyester, rayon, acrylic) and should breathe like fleece, which I usually favor during cold weather. How are the shipping rates? On the website, it looks like shipping is at air freight rates for Alaska.

This year, I wore the chilly grip type gloves a lot, mentioned by Alaska Lanche (post#8). The back still breathes well, but the rubber coated palm doesn't soak up moisture like fleece. Bailey's lumber supply has these gloves ($1.95/pr or $20.95/dozen) - see: http://www.baileysonline.com/search....ves&catID=9777. Alaska Mill & Feed had a similar glove in olive/camo-type pattern, though priced higher.

For normal fall weather, I use the chilly grip type gloves 95% of the time. They are only about $4 a pair at AIH. They are also phenominal for field dressing game as they allow you to grip slippery hide and meat well.

On a cold weather hunt, I use the Refrigerwear gloves with a beaver overmitt as needed. I like the beaver mitts super extra large so you can wear the larger gloves inside them and just flick your wrists to drop the mitts off. I use a tether around my neck to keep the mitts handy, just twist the two mitts together behind your back to keep them out of your way...

Wool. Fingerless mostly.

White ox cotton on occasion, if I'm expecting a ton of devils club. That's all I wore when I was logging... Nothing but cotton white ox.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    For normal fall weather, I use the chilly grip type gloves 95% of the time. They are only about $4 a pair at AIH. They are also phenominal for field dressing game as they allow you to grip slippery hide and meat well.

On a cold weather hunt, I use the Refrigerwear gloves with a beaver overmitt as needed. I like the beaver mitts super extra large so you can wear the larger gloves inside them and just flick your wrists to drop the mitts off. I use a tether around my neck to keep the mitts handy, just twist the two mitts together behind your back to keep them out of your way...
    The atlas gloves at AIH aren't quite as nice as the chilly grips IMO. The chilly grips are at bit warmer and nicer lined. You can buy them at the Freddy Meyer gardening section. Depending on the trip I bring some OR windproof fleece gloves or chilly grips or both and even sometimes haul along OR gore tex mitts to keep my hands dry. What can I say I like dry warm hands, of course I have girly man hands so I buy the womens OR fleece gloves.

Cool, thanks for the tip. I been using the Atlas ones for a few years, but I'll try the others.. also I used to be too "manly" to use chemical handwarmers, now that I've frostibitten fingers several times, I cant live without them!!

I used the leather mittens with wool inserts. I carry a few pairs with me, and then I get those cheap cotton gloves from AIH. I know that cotton kills, but I bring a dozen pairs with me. Then when Im setting snares or traps my skin doesn't touch the metal, and I can take them off and put a new pair on every set.

When it's warm I wear Atlas nitrile gloves. They are the black ones with a grey palm. Super sticky when butchering. Tough enough to fend off most trouble. When it gets colder I wear white poly liners inside a pair of waterproof pigskin gloves.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Yep always trying to find the best of both world between keeping my hands dry, warm, and not sweat and allow the gloves to get wet from the inside out.

Lately I have really liked the chilly grip gloves. They are rubber palmed and fingered but the backhand is knit so it can breath a little but yoru fingers and hands don't get wet when you grab on the wet alders, grass, or rocks. Plus ya turn them inside out and they try decently fast in a synthetic sleeping bag overnight with ya.

However recent I just picked up a set of OR Endevaor mitts. These are goretex and supposed to be bombproof, we'll see about that though. Depending on temps and what no I plan to wear them just by themselves when its warm and wet out and when its cold and wet get a pair of nice fleeces glovs to wear inside them. We'll see how this setup works this year.

Just some options to consider.
    I second Chilly Grips, went logging on a river this fall, and they were great on wet slippery logs in the water. Just squeeze them out, and they still keep your hands warm, like wool. Not sure if there is any wool in them, though.
    I learned that gloves should not be expensive. They all tear easily, except for leather, and in my opinion should be disposable.
    Anyways, I think AIH has a great selection of gloves IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast