Thread: Pest Spray

Default Pest Spray

Ok gents and ladies,

As time nears for my trip, and I have all my gear already in Anchorage. I have my last bag with my clothes packed and waiting in my closet... I have one last request: I need your recommendations on both bug and bear spray. I figure that rather than ask at the store which is best, I would ask you all.

I am floating lake creek 6/19-6/27 and while I could stand to loose some weight on this trip, I don't feel like giving blood to mosquito's or bears....

Thanks everyone, I will be certain to post pictures and reports upon my return.

Greg

Ben's repellent for the skeets, and as for the bears......well, i dont mean to be a smart*****, but, bring fire arms, cause you never know, at least a blast up in the air may scare them, and if that doesnt work, then you will have no other alternative. Make sure you know the difference between a false charge, and a true threat.

Brownies are just protective of their area, just don't challenge them with and eye to eye contact. Most of the time, they are just being a bully to get you away from the territory.

Blackies, another story, they will attack, more than a brownie.

Bring pepper spray, that should get them away from you, but then again, there are those bears who dont care. They will keep coming.

Bring protection, of all sorts. If you are close to Eagle River, go to Boondocks and talk with Don, he would know exactly what to bring.

Also in anchorage, Great Northern guns on Tudor, or Chimos in Wasilla.
    Go to an actual sportsman's shop, instead of a sporting goods store.

The sportsman's shops have more experience than those at a sporting goods store from what I have seen, and from the questions i have asked in my experience with the difference between the 2.

Default Bears and Pepper (No Salt)

Anectodal evidence and research indicates that spray is very effective in deterring brown bears but is more problematic when used against black bears. Even more problematic is human's use of bear spray when having to act quickly: (Keep the bear spray holstered and on your person where it's easily accessible.) Remember to remove the trigger lock! Remember not to point into the wind! Finally, spraying a perimeter around your camp or belongings as a precautionary measure doesn't work; in fact, bears (black and brown) may be attracted to the substance.
    Last edited by bobber; 06-16-2008 at 09:42. Reason: clarity

Default It works

I agree and love Ben's. BUT, I strongly suggest you buy a ThermaCell. THEY ARE AWESOME. They work like you won't believe. They are small and you can take them anywhere. The reason you need Ben's and a thermacell is if the wind is blowing pretty good it reduces the effectiveness of the ThermaCell. As for the bears, I also agree with Anglette, lead spray works best. Another item I strongly encourage you to have is a rescue beacon. I know from personal experience. I bought an ACR MicroFix in April of last year. On 19 July I had an accident on a 4 wheeler and broke my back. I had to be airlifted out, there was no other way I could have gotten off that mountain. I've been hunting and fishing my entire life and consider myself quite knoweledgeable and "never thought it would happen to ME" but it did. The beacons are about $550 - $600 but if you need it, it might just save your life.

Ok,

So I hunt and fish in the back county of Colorado and Wyoming. I have had black bears raid my camp while I was out due to a careless partner who left blueberry muffins in his tent. But I have never had any need for the bear spray I have carried on my hip in the past.

We were not planning to Carry firearms on this trip because they are problematic, both to ship on the airplane to Alaska, and the fact that we are floating the river in small pontoon boats. Everything gets wet unless it is in a dry-bag. Therefore, quick access is not reasonable. but if it is highly recommended perhaps I can case and check firearms. Personally, I am not certain I would be able to draw and aim accurately a sidearm effectively in an emergency situation. What about a shot gun loaded with slugs? Short barrel?

Ben's bug spray sounds good. As far as the pepper spray, what brands do you all recommend?

Thanks for all the information and recomendations.

Default Shouldn't be a problem

Checking firearms is not a problem with the airlines. You just have to check in a little earlier. People do it all the time. A slug gun is very good medicine. I have a Remington 870 Marine Magnum for sale if you're interested PM me. I have no experience with the pepper sprays, so I can't speak to that. Don't forget to check out the ThermaCell, you can get them anywhere, Wal-Mart, any sporting goods store should have them.

Quote Originally Posted by defendingbluelines View Post
    Ok,

So I hunt and fish in the back county of Colorado and Wyoming. I have had black bears raid my camp while I was out due to a careless partner who left blueberry muffins in his tent. But I have never had any need for the bear spray I have carried on my hip in the past.

We were not planning to Carry firearms on this trip because they are problematic, both to ship on the airplane to Alaska, and the fact that we are floating the river in small pontoon boats. Everything gets wet unless it is in a dry-bag. Therefore, quick access is not reasonable. but if it is highly recommended perhaps I can case and check firearms. Personally, I am not certain I would be able to draw and aim accurately a sidearm effectively in an emergency situation. What about a shot gun loaded with slugs? Short barrel?

Ben's bug spray sounds good. As far as the pepper spray, what brands do you all recommend?

Thanks for all the information and recomendations.
    I've been around lots of bears out west, and in northern Ontario. Plan on seeing a lot more than you're used to, I wouldn't go out there without pepper spray, it's much different than the Colorado backcountry

I have been fishing Alaska for the last 5 years and yes there are a1 ton more bears there than any place I have been. I carry spray (Bear Defence and another I can't remember) I have seen somewhere in the neighbourhood of 100 bears in those 5 trips. The only time I felt the least bit in danger was when one came into my camp at 5:00 AM one morning. I don't think there is anything creepier than a large carnivore rooting around less than 10' from your tent.
    I have had a couple woof and growl at me but have never had one charge or even bluff (touch wood) so far.
    Pick up your spray in Alaska and be prepared to leave it behind as it's not allowed on passenger aircraft. Don't forget to get a holster for it so it is close at hand, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I have been fishing Alaska for the last 5 years and yes there are a1 ton more bears there than any place I have been. I carry spray (Bear Defence and another I can't remember) I have seen somewhere in the neighbourhood of 100 bears in those 5 trips. The only time I felt the least bit in danger was when one came into my camp at 5:00 AM one morning. I don't think there is anything creepier than a large carnivore rooting around less than 10' from your tent.
    I have had a couple woof and growl at me but have never had one charge or even bluff (touch wood) so far.
    Pick up your spray in Alaska and be prepared to leave it behind as it's not allowed on passenger aircraft. Don't forget to get a holster for it so it is close at hand, just in case.
    I can attest to the fact that the stuff is powerful too! Last time we were there, I decided to "test fire" the canister since I've never used one and we couldn't take it home. A tiny bit got on my trigger finger, and several hours and several hand washings later, I took out my contacts on the plane. My eye was on fire! I can't imagine what a full dose would be like. At least the stewardess got a good laugh....

I would buy the spray up here because there are undoubtedly regs against having it in your luggage on an airplane. The capsicum is the active ingredient in all brands and the lable will tell you how much is in each type. I would go with a "more is better" approach and get the stoutest type you have to chose from.

A reliable source told me that those static free tissues you put in the clothes dryer are good bug repellers. I have not fully tested myself, but did discover that they get really messy if wet. Source told me to put in pockets and hat band. If they work, it would be handy.
    NRA Lifetime Member