Thread: Ultimate Tent ??

Default Ultimate Tent ??

Hello all, I am trying to get the wife and kids into the great outdoors. I am looking for opnions on the ultamate car camping tent. She bought a cosco monster tent last year, as a surprise for me, it is a monster. She likes the size but the quality really blows. I would also like the tent to be able to handle winter camping. I have looked at the Alaknak II and some others from Cabela's also the Atlas from Hilleberg.

Thanks in advance for the info.

How big do you want it? How much do you want to spend? Well you be using it for more than just car camping?

Seems to me that a low quality Cosco tent would fit the bill if it was just for car camping due to the fact that if you got wet or the wind blew the tent over you could just hop in your car. A few more details may help others better assist you in your search for a new tent.

There is a barneys bomb shelter for sale on craigslist for $100. If it is in good shape that is a heck of a deal. Of course there is also a set of Swaro Bino's for 600.... So many good deals to be found!
    Here is a link to the bomb shelter
    i like my alaknak but it is not a winter tent.

The size has to be a minimum of 10x10, and so long as the tent is of highest quality and should be able to last for years price is not to much of a consideration. I would like the tent to be a 4 season and able to handle what ever the family can throw at it. I don't plan on using it for just car caping, that's the just start of getting the family out there. I eventually want to be able to take it via atv/snowmachine/boat and get away from the provided camp sites and use it as a base camp for other outdoor activitites.

Default Get an ....

arctic oven. Can use it at anytime of the year. The best winter tent available.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    arctic oven. Can use it at anytime of the year. The best winter tent available.
    This is a true statement!

Here is a pic of one of my bear excursions this spring.

It got to 20 below and we were sitting inside in t-shirts comfortable using a mr buddy heater. This was at 3600'. For extended trips above treeline I recommend a 5 gallon propane tank and having Ak tent and tarp sew in a port to allow you to keep the tank outside. We were using 1lb tanks and they were good for about 8 hours each. The tent is bomb proof, it is definately not a backpack tent but for winter camping it is impossible to beat.
    If cost is no object and weight is not a concern then the Arctic Oven is the tent for you.

No contest. For what you are asking the tent to do, The Arctic Oven Arktika. If you dont mind the weight there is no better winter tent made in my opinion, period.
    Tennessee

A few years ago, I purchased the Cabelas Alaskan Outfitter Guide 8 man tent for family camping and we love it. I have not tried it in the snow, but I have been on some 40-50 mph wind storms and we hardly knew the wind was blowing! That tent is built solid and the best part is it even has 8 built in cup holders so no more spilled drinks from the little ones in the middle of the night. Just for safety sake, I purchase the custom fit tarp for underneath the tent and one for the inside floor. If I had to do it again the only thing different I would do is buy the vestibule right from the start. BTW at 35 lbs, this is not a back packing type of tent.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoMike View Post
    Hello all, I am trying to get the wife and kids into the great outdoors. I am looking for opnions on the ultamate car camping tent. She bought a cosco monster tent last year, as a surprise for me, it is a monster. She likes the size but the quality really blows. I would also like the tent to be able to handle winter camping. I have looked at the Alaknak II and some others from Cabela's also the Atlas from Hilleberg.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoMike View Post

Thanks in advance for the info.
    We have a kind of Alaknak from Cabela's.
    My husband and I lived in one for the whole summer. It was a GREAT tent and every now and again I miss it and wished we were back living in it!

We kept a Mr. Buddy Heater in there when we needed it and the skeeters always flew to the top of the tent, so we never really had a skeeter issue.

I love this tent. We plan to take it with us on our Caribou hunt in October.

So... if you want more of my opinion on this tent, I'll give it to you, but you got the basic jist of it.

Home Sweet Home Summer of 2007
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    [left]

We have a kind of Alaknak from Cabela's.
    My husband and I lived in one for the whole summer. It was a GREAT tent and every now and again I miss it and wished we were back living in it!

We kept a Mr. Buddy Heater in there when we needed it and the skeeters always flew to the top of the tent, so we never really had a skeeter issue.

I love this tent. We plan to take it with us on our Caribou hunt in October.

So... if you want more of my opinion on this tent, I'll give it to you, but you got the basic jist of it.

Home Sweet Home Summer of 2007
    I adjusted the imphasis in your post a bit. I did the rex trail at 20 below with an Alaknak and the cylinder stove and FROZE! We could only get the tent to 25 above despite a raging fire. The Alaknak is a GREAT fall tent with the wood stove but a winter tent it is NOT! I will not be getting rid of mine any time soon as it is a perfect base camp for a river hunt. If I needed an all season tent the AO is in a league by itself. I would HIGHLY recommend getting the screen panel in the door though

Default I haven't been in many others

but the arctic oven at -30 is easily heated with a Mr. Big buddy. If you have your lantern, even hotter. There is no tent that compares when the temperature drops. Easily heated and comfy. Spend the money on it if you are thinking of winter camping. If winter camping is out, you could look at another tent.

Silly goose.
    We would have been fine with our stove in it.
    Then again, I always had a warm body to keep me warm to. (My husband's)
    Lurker.

Oh, and to add to that last thought. It's a barrel stove. We even cooked on it when it was colder.

Also, to add to this side of it, my 4 season suggestion for a tent would be the Bibler. My husband and I were ready to get one for this year, but the one we tried out smelled terrible. I know that it was brand new, but I told my husband I was scared of condensation issues in the Bibler. I know that tents aren't perfect, but the Bibler would be my choice of a 4 season tent.
    Big Agnes would be my second choice.
    Lurker.