Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halibut Cove - Saltry (Why so mean?)

Default Halibut Cove - Saltry (Why so mean?)

Ive been boating out of Homer since Memorial day. We have gone to Halibut cove and stopped at the Saltry. Both times they seem upset that boaters had stopped to buy something rather than the tour groups that come over on the tour boat.

Really, really weird. All we wanted was to dock, drink a couple of beers and buy a table full of $17 burgers. And they scowl...

They seem to love the tourist coming over on the ferries and despise the individual boater just pulling up.

Anybody else experience this?

We go to Seldovia often and that place is very friendly.

http://www.halibut-cove-alaska.com/saltry.htm

I stopped going there also...... Definately did not feel welcomed and it wasn't because we had 2 or 3 days of fish slime built up.

As far as Seldovia goes big thumbs up. I have never had an issue getting a good spot to park and even when going out to fish for the day I still had a spot when I returned. Now with the ability to have your fish packed and frozen it makes it even better. I do recommend taking your own cooler as they have limited shelf space and move your fish to your cooler once frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    I stopped going there also...... Definately did not feel welcomed and it wasn't because we had 2 or 3 days of fish slime built up.

As far as Seldovia goes big thumbs up. I have never had an issue getting a good spot to park and even when going out to fish for the day I still had a spot when I returned. Now with the ability to have your fish packed and frozen it makes it even better. I do recommend taking your own cooler as they have limited shelf space and move your fish to your cooler once frozen.
    Do they have any places there to eat in Seldovia? I've been to Halibut cove. The coffee shop had a great time. But each time I have gone to Saltry/boarwalk I was asked to leave. One (first time) I did not know they have quiet hour and only residents and friends could be on the boardwalk. Second we thought about eating there. Well they where booked, so they told us to leave and not to walk around the board walk. I will go back. Eventually I will figure there rules out
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up Seldovia is Awesome!

We have been making Seldovia a food stop ritual for as long as I can remember, sometimes breakfast sometimes lunch. Years ago they had a restuarnt with almost a hundred different kinds of tobasco sauce lining the counter to sample on your meal it was incredible. We made a quick stop last year and went to a different restaurant on the water so I'm not sure if its still there, didn't take time to check. Seldovia harbor is always accomodating when you call on the radio for dock space, there is a coffee shop up by the lagoon, good resturants, the gift shops are full of friendly people, the place is beautiful for a visit when you need a break from fishing. Two thumbs up for Seldovia, as far as Halibut cove don't know.

I WOULD RATHER BE FORCED TO ''FLOSS'' AT THE FISHING HOLE WEARING A ''I LOVE RICHARD SIMMONS'' TANK TOP THAN EVER DEAL WITH THE BAD VIBES IN THE COVE......MOST EVERYONE I KNOW WONT GO THERE..IF YOU WANT TO GO FOR GREAT FOOD AND FRIENDLY PEOPLE STOP AT OTTER COVE CALL ROARK AT I-907-399-1269 OR CHECK OUT THE PLACE AT WWW.HOMEROCEANCHARTERS.COM.....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

I must say "I'm shocked" I go over there at least twice a a year sometimes 3 with my own boat. Never have I been asked to not walk on the boardwalk or even leave at that. Seams kinda scary though. I rally enjoy talking to the sqid ink lady, her name slips mind mind right now.

Default Go to Se;dovia they are great folks

We have been going down there for years. They like the business. There are seasonal places to eat, and a grocery store open year around. The Fuel & lube place has a decent hardware store for any needed boat repairs or tackle. I bought a pair of Extra Toughs there for about 10.00 LESS than I would have paid here in the Valley. Bring your own beer though12.00 a 6 pack.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Do they have any places there to eat in Seldovia? I've been to Halibut cove. The coffee shop had a great time. But each time I have gone to Saltry/boarwalk I was asked to leave. One (first time) I did not know they have quiet hour and only residents and friends could be on the boardwalk. Second we thought about eating there. Well they where booked, so they told us to leave and not to walk around the board walk. I will go back. Eventually I will figure there rules out
    Many different places to eat and you can even get ice cream right across from the Harbor Office and they are big scoops. ATV rentals available, same place to have fish packed and frozen. There is at least 3 good places to eat on the main street. Fuel was only a nickel, maybe ten cents more then at Homer Harbor. Bait is available. They have a catch all grocery store. There are some camping areas available but not real sure on those.

The 4th of July is an absolute zoo in the harbor as the town goes to more then 3000 people for their parade and other events in town. We usually get there a day or two early and just love it. The tour boats put on extra runs to bring people over. The airport is packed and the harbor even has a few floaters tied up.

The only warning I would offer is if walking to the Airport or any of the trails you must be extra mineful of some of their resident sow Blackies that bring their cubs to the slough and beach to frolick in the water. Oh yeah and the big turkeys that roam free. Definately could give a good bird dog a complex to go chasing something into the tall grass to find Bridzilla waiting for them.

I generally stay there when I am out fishing Pogi Point and beyond. Tell them Dupont Spinner sent ya.

Default Halibut Cove Sucks

Yup they would rather boaters not show up, if they have a tour boat in I've heard they will turn you away. Must be a nice business to be able to turn money away. Been that way for years, unless you know them and live in Homer, which is what I did.
    Wouldn't go back, haven't in 15 years. Seldovia on the other hand is great, I'll be there next weekend for my once a year Halibut Trip.

Thumbs up Website

Quote Originally Posted by boneyardbaits View Post
    ....FOR GREAT FOOD AND FRIENDLY PEOPLE STOP AT OTTER COVE CALL ROARK AT I-907-399-1269 OR CHECK OUT THE PLACE AT WWW.HOMEROCEANCHARTERS.COM.....
    Nothing at that website. Try http://www.ottercoveresort.com/. Looks interesting. I'll have to swing by.

Ditto on Seldovia on the 4th. I haven't been there in a dozen years for the celebration, but it was a must do for years.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

There is no doubt that for the most part that they love it when you come and spend a ton of money. After all who wouldn't? However, it seems over there, that once they have your hard to earn green backs that a good deal of people are even more happy to send you on your way and back to where you came from. Ironically, it reminds me of another town that starts with "C". And that is Cordova, Alaska. Funny, I didn't make the connection until now....

Just goes to show *******s can be found everywhere. If the place caught fire they'd be squealing like Deliverance to have help putting out the fire.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Nice lady, good people

Quote Originally Posted by aufevermike View Post
    I must say "I'm shocked" I go over there at least twice a a year sometimes 3 with my own boat. Never have I been asked to not walk on the boardwalk or even leave at that. Seams kinda scary though. I rally enjoy talking to the sqid ink lady, her name slips mind mind right now.
    Her name is Diana Tillion. Her husband, Clem, was Hammond's "fish czar", and served in the legislature too, I believe. True old time Alaskans. I have never eaten at the Saltery; the Tillions allowed the school group I was with to have a picnic on the other side of their island. Halibut Cove as a whole is a little to exclusive for me.

Default Good perspective

It's good to see that I'm not the only one with this perspective on Halibut Cove.

I'm going to try otter cove this weekend.

One post had a URL; but the link was not correct. Here is the correct link to another resturant across the bay from Homer.

I'll have a Beer and expensive lunch and report next week.

Out.

http://www.ottercoveresort.com/rookery.htm

We boated over to Seldovia last summer, and went to Halibut Cove Lagoon this spring, and visited Halibut Cove as well.

While the state cabins in Halibut Cove are great, if I wanted a destination with a resteraunt etc., Seldovia it is.

Default Speaking of Seldovia....

Been there once about 10 years ago, loved the place. Does anyone know what a boat trip/taxi from Homer costs to get there? Homer Dave, is Seldovia on your route?
    Want to take the 2 other guys that always are with me on our Alaska trips. Anything else to do there except eat for the day?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Depending on what time of year you are over there, there is hiking and berry picking. I don't know how much they charge for the 4 wheeler rentals, but there is a road that heads out to an old chromium mine, and there is good blue berry picking at the end of the road.

The alaska marine highway has ferry service from Homer to Seldovia, likely cheaper than a water taxi, but more limited in the times it'll run. Just checked the amhs website $33 one way from Homer to Seldovia. I'm guessing a water taxi will be about $100 r/t.

I really dislike that place. Snobs pretty much all of em. Soldovia is awesome and one of my favorite places in Alaska. I'd much rather spend time/money there than that tourist trap.

Default seldovia taxi

i will go to jakolof dock for $70 pp RT, and there is a cab that will take you to seldovia and back.
    generally i avoid afternoon trips all the way to seldovia, as the day breeze can make it a real pounding.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I remembered that afternoon breeze heading back last year Actually it wasn't that bad having the wind at our backs, and we cruised through some of the passages and islands on the return.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast