Thread: Tustumena Lake Questions

Talking Tustumena Lake Questions

I'm going to go to Tuatumena Lake in a couple of days and have never been there before. I will be taking my jet boat and was wondering where and how to fish the lake? Thanks

I will try to help you out a little, I've spent some time on and around the big T. You are not allowed to fish red salmon in the lake or its tribs, unless you live in Ninilchik or C.L. They have their own rules but I will try not to get sidetracked here! You might be able to catch kings downstrem from slackwater but it will be spotty at best. We used to have a blast catching dollies in the creeks that flow into the lake, but the last few years they just dont seem too be as thick as they once were. Might of been timing, but I think it was due to the fact that you just cant study the water looking for the dollies, due to the fact that you are constantly watching the brush and grass, and hoping the next brown furry critter that comes huffing out of it is just bluffing like the last 5. If you go be very careful. That area is infested with Brown bears and they are not afraid of you.
    I told some friends this a few years ago, but they went ahead and set up a camp on Moose creek. By night fall they had all the encounters they wanted, but the lake had blown up and they could'nt leave,ended up staying the night in the boat, on anchor a couple hundred feet off shore.

Default Not to hijack or anything...

Quote Originally Posted by kenaislider View Post
    I will try to help you out a little, I've spent some time on and around the big T. You are not allowed to fish red salmon in the lake or its tribs, unless you live in Ninilchik or C.L. They have their own rules but I will try not to get sidetracked here! You might be able to catch kings downstrem from slackwater but it will be spotty at best. We used to have a blast catching dollies in the creeks that flow into the lake, but the last few years they just dont seem too be as thick as they once were. Might of been timing, but I think it was due to the fact that you just cant study the water looking for the dollies, due to the fact that you are constantly watching the brush and grass, and hoping the next brown furry critter that comes huffing out of it is just bluffing like the last 5. If you go be very careful. That area is infested with Brown bears and they are not afraid of you.
    I told some friends this a few years ago, but they went ahead and set up a camp on Moose creek. By night fall they had all the encounters they wanted, but the lake had blown up and they could'nt leave,ended up staying the night in the boat, on anchor a couple hundred feet off shore.
    ... but it sounds like they need to open it up to a brown bear reduction plan, eh?

Default Bears let em be

Not trying to start a fight, just my opinion.

If the bears have a strong haven let em be. A love fishing and hunting and if there are a lot of bears there let em have an area. Go in fish if you can stay dont. Plan accordingly. Camp off the creek far enough it is a huge lake. Not to be a jerk but we all should be able to live in some sort of harmony. If a bear is around and the fishing is great oh well. I let the bear win every time.

Every year at the Russian I see bears along with most other people. That doesn't mean we have to kill them all. Just something to think about.