Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooldridge boats

Default Wooldridge boats

Hi all, I would like some info from those of you who have owned and used Wooldridge alaskan I and alaskan II's. I know they go shallow. How do they handle chop? How much big water can they take? With the larger foot print does the alaskan II get on plane faster and handle rough water less? Please give me your thoughts, and anything else you think I should know. Thanks

Default Hold on to the girls the water getting choppy

tmm ,i have had a 20ft Alaska II for 12 years. my run is almost 80 miles round trip. I have a very shallow entrance to my cabin.works well in shallow water with load.Down side does non work well in choppy water.
    slams hard.If she is not wearing a bra ,she well be holding onto the girls until you get threw the cop.been there done that, its a river boat. if you
    think your going to getting in to the chops,whitecaps I would advise a
    Extra plus ,has a v and well slice choppy water better. We bought this boat new ,because of the large interior area to haul supplies in.also my wife and i can and have lifted the rear off sand bars(empty)

Mine is built like a tank and I have been in the Cooper, Chena, Salcha, and put almost 2500 miles on it in PWS. Love the boat even after 3 years, burns 4 to 5 GPH with the Honda 150.

Steve

Stid,
    Nice looking outfit, excellent fuel economy, what RPM do you run the Honda to stay on step?
    Does your Alaskan 2 have the 68" bottom?
    Is the 150 Honda enough motor? I see alot of the new 20 foot Alaskans with 175 E-techs for the most part, at least here in the interior.

Been awhile since I ran the jet, seems like about 3000 to stay on step. It does have a 68 inch bottom. I do feel that the Honda is better with the prop, more than enough power. With the jet it feels under powered, the Honda just don't seem to be made to run the jet. The engine sounds different under power, just doesn't seem to get in the correct power band with the jet. Now with the prop see is a beast. Makes a Okay, PWS rig and a great Yukon rig. Run the main channel with the prop and cache your fuel and extras and throw on the jet and go skinny. With the rack I'm going to carry a canoe or my raft and go into the small drainages. Worked for bear season.

Steve

Have you run it in the Copper or Salcha w/ prop?
    I thought you had a jet Ranger for getting way back in?

I ran the cooper and salcha with the jet. I just got the Ranger this year.

Steve

Thumbs up Love my Wooly!

I have an older Wooly. 1993 20' Extra Plus. Love it. Repowered it with a 2005 Evinrude 250 (jet). Can get a little jaw breaking sometimes when you are in chop, but then you slow down.

I have also had it up rivers running skinny water and like most have had to pull myself off the rocks with yet another "Alaska Character" dent.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Stid,

That is one nice set-up you got there! Looks like you have planned for everyting!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I have an older Wooly. 1993 20' Extra Plus. Love it. Repowered it with a 2005 Evinrude 250 (jet). Can get a little jaw breaking sometimes when you are in chop, but then you slow down.

I have also had it up rivers running skinny water and like most have had to pull myself off the rocks with yet another "Alaska Character" dent.
    I bet that boat is a screamer with the 250 on the back.
    How does it run? How much fuel do you use?
    Tennessee

Default Better

I had a 1993 Evinrude carb, 200hp. So when it gave up, I started looking and the 250 was the same identical weight, block, just different computer. It is fuel injected, but the year before the Etecs.

It does scream about 48 mph, but at that speed I can hear the $$ going down the fuel line. When I keep it at about 4200rpm and 32mph, I burn about 8gph.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Thats pretty good mileage for a 250 jet! I am hoping my Wooldridge with it's 200 Optimax prop gets 4 mpg during our Yukon trip this Spet.
    Tennessee

Bassking,
    Thats pretty decent speed for that RPM (32 MPH at 4200)
    Do you find that your optimum cruising speed? or can you go slower and still stay on step?

Default pulling back on the throttle

I have been talking to some guys in Idaho than have been setting up the AK II 20 ft with 225 ho etec jets.For weight to hp ration thats going to be my up grade ,has soon has i get a longer paper route!!!! 18500

Default I find

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Bassking,
    Thats pretty decent speed for that RPM (32 MPH at 4200)
    Do you find that your optimum cruising speed? or can you go slower and still stay on step?
    this to be about the best with my setup and fully trimmed out. I find that anything above that and I start hearing the suction of fuel and $$$.

I have gone WOT from Naked Island to Passage Canal on a calm day just to see what it was like. I almost achieved 50mph (49.6 on my GPS). My wife told me that if I lost my Alaskan winter fat, I might have made it to 50mph. I had to get more fuel at the Whittier Fuel Consortium that cost me dearly.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Like others have said, it is a shallow water river boat, but if you are in the chop on a lake, you can just take it off step and it takes the edge off. A trick i found was to follow your buddy's wake, staying pretty close, much smoother.
    You can always make do on the lakes with it, but you can't take a lake boat where these Wooly's will go.
    Had it up a river this weekend, and i was amazed where it went without touching. Took a pretty fun video which i'll post somehow, when i re-install my $%#*! Windows OS It won't recognize my camera anymore.

Hey, thanks for all the information on the wooldirdge. It is a top contender for my next boat. Most of my boating is in shallow rivers, with an occasional trip to a lake or the Columbia. However, every 4 years or so I expect to draw a tag on the Snake river. The one question I still have is how much big water can the wooldridge safely take? Ok, two questions. I also expect to camo the boat to hunt ducks out of. Has any of you done that? Would love to see pictures. Would also like links to Wooldridge videos. Thanks

I've seen water bigger than I want to say. My woolly will go places that I won't go. With the canvas on she will shed a lot of water. You might want to do like Yukoner and extend the free board.
    utube link of a Wooly
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpduQSVgt64

Steve

I'm new to the jet boating, and operating on there are no dumb questions. (at least none that I ask. What do you mean by "extend the free board"

It means how high the sides are. Or the lowest point that water can enter.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeboard

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast